UK and Europe · Public discussion

Mars bar syndrome

Started by citizen142 · · Last activity · 90 posts · 2,017 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 April 2006
Last activity
20 December 2006
Original author
citizen142
Posts
90
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,017
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–90 of 90
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Simon Brooke said:

    Shimano SPD (the original, not SPD-R or SPD-SL) is OK except in muddy
    conditions, when the pedals tend to clog up with mud.

    That's only happened to me once with SPDs (clogged enough to stop
    working) -- happened to be today... but a quick poke with a stick did the
    trick. I think they're pretty good at shedding mud. Well, compared to
    Looks anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    The pressure
    area is small, and so they're not nearly as comfortable as Look type
    systems for on-road use

    Still reasonably comfortable when you're happy with the shoes. Certainly
    more comfy than toe clips for me. I did 100 miles today with no foot
    trouble, in Shimano MO21 shoes on Shimano M520 pedals -- SPD mechanism on
    both sides, no flipping! If you do want SPDs Paul, I recommend this
    model. M420 should also be good as it's the lighter version.

    (I have Look pedals on my road bike but I've riding my tourer a lot
    recently. It's going better and feeling more comfortable than ever).

    ~PB

  2. Paul Boyd said:

    Well, that's done it! For £35, I've just ordered M520 pedals and the
    multi-release cleat set, from St John St Cycles. That gives me the
    cleat nuts, and a choice of which type of cleat to use. The
    multi-release cleats give more options for releasing in a hurry!

    Multi-release disengage when you pull sharply upwards, which seems like a
    dangerous idea to me.

    The so called single-release actually release when foot is rotated in
    either direction.

    ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs said:
    Paul Boyd said:

    Well, that's done it! For £35, I've just ordered M520 pedals and the
    multi-release cleat set, from St John St Cycles. That gives me the
    cleat nuts, and a choice of which type of cleat to use. The
    multi-release cleats give more options for releasing in a hurry!

    Multi-release disengage when you pull sharply upwards, which seems like a
    dangerous idea to me.

    Aren't they just worn single release cleats rebadged ? ;-)

    I find the biggest problem with the cleats is small stones getting
    lodged in the sole of the shoe.

    ...d

  4. David Martin said:

    I find the biggest problem with the cleats is small stones getting lodged
    in the sole of the shoe.

    I find the biggest problem with cleats is stepping in dog-[censored], not
    noticing and then transfering it to the pedal. Ugh!

    Mike

  5. Mike Causer said:

    I find the biggest problem with cleats is stepping in dog-[censored], not
    noticing and then transfering it to the pedal. Ugh!

    Nasty but at least you don't have to touch anything, unlike after
    puncturing after cycling through dog [censored]. Double ugh!

    ~PB

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, ([email hidden])

    Quoted message said:

    On 15 Apr,

    wafflycat' w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How many times did you fall off whilst acclimatising?

    Once.

    Is that typical of other converts? I could probably cope with once, as long
    as it is a slow fall.

    One more than me :-) I /have/ had a few incidents since wherein I've
    not managed to get a foot out in time, but riding a recumbent low enough
    to be able to get a hand down on the deck prevented undignified
    sprawling in the road. On once occasion I did go down still strapped
    into a burning bike - I'd got my right foot out OK, but the bike decided
    to go down on its left side. Into cold wet long grass and bushes.

    Good one by the .sig generator there V

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Funsize Mars bars? What could possibly be MORE fun about eating LESS
    chocolate?

  7. In article said:
    citizen142 said:

    I call this the Mars Bar Syndrome - at 62 I can remember when the
    'giant' Mars bar was the standard bar, instead of which we now get the
    ever decreasing bar where eventually the packaging will be heavier
    than the contents!

    Point of order, m'lud, at 39 my memory is rather the opposite, with
    the standard sized bar increasingly sidelined by ever bigger
    versions as time went by.

    It's a bit of both, I think. The bars slowly shrank to keep the price the
    same, until they introduced a larger "giant" size. That then shrank until
    it becomes standard (at the same "giant" price) while the original standard
    was dropped, and a new "giant" size was introduced at a yet higher price.

    Compare with cars which grow, for example a VW Golf being so much larger
    than the original that the Polo grew to original Golf size, creating a new
    niche for the Lupo to fill at the bottom. I gather similar things happen
    in biology.

    I can imagine a similar trend happening with mountain bikes with what is
    nominally the same model getting longer and longer travel suspension until
    a new range slots in where the old one was a few years back, but I don't
    actually know if bike naming schemes work that way, I'm just desperately
    trying to bring bikes in.

  8. Mike Causer said:
    Nick Kew said:

    Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    Yes, no problem. The shoes you need are sold as "MTB", rather than
    "road". The sole is more flexible, the cleats are recessed into a
    moderately chunky tread, and there's a small heel.

    Still not as flexible as a trainer though. But then if you want a flexible
    soled shoe and don't care greatly about efficiency you don't need clips
    either, which is just as convenient as clipless. (At least on an upright -
    a recumbent, especially a tadpole trike, is another matter.)

    I now keep an extra pair of shoes at work and generally change if
    I have worn SPD shoes in, though wearing the cycling shoes all day
    wasn't actually a problem (I've walked all day in boots that were
    stiffer). (If I'm just coming in a few miles from the Park and Ride
    instead of the whole way I wear normal shoes anyway.)

  9. "Pinky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pinky said:


    On my new bike I have had half and half pedals installed. I just think
    on my long touring holidays it will be nice to get out of bike shoes at
    the end of a day and be able to pootle around in flip flops/trainers or
    whatever.

    Shimano SPD sandals are what you need. I live in mine when I'm touring.

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

    You see that you are not always right!

    You see there are problems in being older and my body is subject to
    various drawbacks caused by medical conditions and by some of the
    medications I take as well.

    I am a type 2 diabetic which is controlled by diet only but I am aware
    that it is a degenerative disease and one of the effects is a circulation
    problem with extremities. Now I have no problem with my feet at the
    moment, but I do take care of them. Also I take one aspirin every day as
    an aid to blood pressure (to "thin" the blood). One of its side effects is
    to reduce the speed of clotting of my blood such that any minor cut or
    scratch bleeds quite enough to lay a small trail of blood on the surface
    of my skin and it is disfiguring to my pride rather than detrimental to my
    health.

    So I avoid wearing sandals when cycling seriously for obvious reasons --
    much as I would enjoy the freedom involved. It has other drawbacks -- I
    wear 2 pairs of socks every day - the 2nd after showering for evening!

    Do you shower with the first pair still on your feet?

    Alan

  10. "Keith Willoughby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I could be convinced, but I don't ke falling off.

    Just as a data-point, I've never fallen off since I got clipless
    pedals.

    I fell of a short while back whilst trying to turn a very sharp corner to go
    onto a track, as I had just had an operation on my knee I couldn't get up,
    fortunately a lady who was passing in a car turned out to be a nurse and she
    helped me to get up!

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
    "You are the real un-Americans and you should be ashamed of yourselves."
    - Paul Robeson to the HUAC

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.