General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Marthons in the US in March 2005

Started by Stefan Sjostrom · · Last activity · 7 posts · 367 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 November 2004
Last activity
18 November 2004
Original author
Stefan Sjostrom
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
367
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'll be in the US for a about a week in mid-March 2005 and thought
    it'd be fun to run a marathon if I could find one.

    I'll arrive to LA around March 17, fly to New York around March 23 and
    leave around March 26. My simple (?) question is if someone knows of
    marathons within day-trip distance from either LA or NY during that
    time period. So far, I'm aware of Catalina (too much trouble to get
    there), Knoxville (to far away) and Ocean Drive (will probably not be
    in NY by then).

    Thankful for any tips,

  2. Since King George took over, we no longer allow any foriegners in our marathons.
    Sorry

    [email hidden] (Stefan Sjostrom) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'll be in the US for a about a week in mid-March 2005 and thought
    it'd be fun to run a marathon if I could find one.

    I'll arrive to LA around March 17, fly to New York around March 23 and
    leave around March 26. My simple (?) question is if someone knows of
    marathons within day-trip distance from either LA or NY during that
    time period. So far, I'm aware of Catalina (too much trouble to get
    there), Knoxville (to far away) and Ocean Drive (will probably not be
    in NY by then).

    Thankful for any tips,

  3. Shamrock Marathon is always the Saturday closest to St. Patrick's Day--in
    Virginia Beach, VA--it's a fast course when the wind along the beach isn't a
    factor. Also very flat. There is also an 8K that day that has loads of
    *invited* runners. Both races have money incentives for record breaking
    performances. If you're a good runner at either distance, you can contact
    the elite athlete coordinator, Rick Platt (rickplatt@ juno.com) and ask
    about a free entry and money towards travel and accommodation. He's much
    more aware of the specifics of what's a good marathon/8K time than I am,
    that would be good enough for getting some money help, so if you think
    you're good enough for that, I would suggest contacting him soon.

    Even if you're a *normal* runner, it's a good race with decent logistical
    support for the marathon.

    This is a good regional race that attracts professional and regional talent
    from all around the mid-Atlantic states and occasionally from further away.
    Post race festivities are also good, and there's also a decent pasta dinner
    the evening before, and also a pretty good expo. Perhaps worth a trip to
    the East Coast for you--

    Jean in VA

    "Sipowicz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Since King George took over, we no longer allow any foriegners in our


    marathons.

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry

    [email hidden] (Stefan Sjostrom) wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'll be in the US for a about a week in mid-March 2005 and thought
    it'd be fun to run a marathon if I could find one.

    I'll arrive to LA around March 17, fly to New York around March 23 and
    leave around March 26. My simple (?) question is if someone knows of
    marathons within day-trip distance from either LA or NY during that
    time period. So far, I'm aware of Catalina (too much trouble to get
    there), Knoxville (to far away) and Ocean Drive (will probably not be
    in NY by then).

    Thankful for any tips,

  4. If you can make it by March 6, then you can do L.A.

  5. According to http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm?Sort=RaceDate&Place=USA&StartDate=1/17/05
    , Catalina does look like your best choice

  6. Thanks for the input. Too bad that Shamrock is on the east coast,
    otherwise that would have been perfect. Or should I say too bad I'm a
    barely sub-4 runner?

    Originally, I had planned to do Catalina, but then I realised that
    there's no transportation to the island on race day, which would add
    the cost of (apparently expensive) accomodation for myself and my wife
    and baby daughter. The course seems great though.

  7. Stefan Sjostrom said:

    Thanks for the input. Too bad that Shamrock is on the east coast,
    otherwise that would have been perfect. Or should I say too bad I'm a
    barely sub-4 runner?

    Originally, I had planned to do Catalina, but then I realised that
    there's no transportation to the island on race day, which would add
    the cost of (apparently expensive) accomodation for myself and my wife
    and baby daughter. The course seems great though.


    Dear Stefan, I'm sorry to bother you about Catalina again. Catalina
    Express runs daily from Long Beach/San Pedro starting at 6:15 am getting
    to the harbor an hour later. They are very reliable, are hovercrafts
    and very comfortable. Most of the hotels are very moderately priced at
    that time of the year I believe (the Best Western is quite comfortable);
    very nearly the same as in-town (Long Beach, San Pedro or Torrance).
    Believe me, I just drove around the Palos Verdes Peninsula and was
    looking over at Catalina which seemed close enough to touch. So, if you
    don't get to go there, and it's a clear day on the ocean, I recommend a
    nice drive along the ocean, from Manhattan Beach to San Pedro. You will
    see what is so enticing about SoCal.
    Take care and clear skies,
    Colleen McDonald

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.