Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Marzocchi MX question

Started by GWood · · Last activity · 13 posts · 852 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
17 August 2005
Last activity
18 August 2005
Original author
GWood
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
852
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Considering an '04 or '05 Marzocchi MX for my XC bike. The bike frame is
    designed around an 80mm fork. Wondering what the differences are between the
    MX Comp Coil and Comp Air versions in terms of ride and maintenance?

  2. GWood said:

    Considering an '04 or '05 Marzocchi MX for my XC bike. The bike
    frame is designed around an 80mm fork. Wondering what the differences
    are between the MX Comp Coil and Comp Air versions in terms of ride
    and maintenance?

    I've got the 105 MX that locks out to about 85. I replaced a 80- mm RS SID
    just a few months ago. Other than a slight increased tendency to wander, I
    love it.... not the info you were exactly seeking, but maybe it's useful.

    Hey, how come you didn't come to Idaho?

    penny

  3. GWood said:

    Considering an '04 or '05 Marzocchi MX for my XC bike. The bike frame is
    designed around an 80mm fork. Wondering what the differences are between the
    MX Comp Coil and Comp Air versions in terms of ride and maintenance?

    Funny you should ask that.. I just bought an '05 mx comp air.. Got it today...
    I inadvertantly hit the buy button on that one rather than the comp coil...
    My LBS didn't have it so I went to *cough cough* Price Point... and got a good deal.. both were the same price... I took a look and the fork seems solid enough... We'll see I guess... I am going to install it an put my faith in the 'hood...

    Jimbo...lifer...(san)

  4. Hmmm. Was thinking about the 105 ETA as well... is it a double coil or a
    coil/air?

    Tendency to wander? Is that a philosophical observation, or a comment on
    the fork stiffness?

    As for Idaho, I didn't really clue in until ride reports got posted. Sure
    sounds like you all had a good time, and the pics were awesome (not sucky at
    all). A bit of a trek for weekend warriors like us. And alas, I'm off to
    MTB Oregon this weekend to keep my buddy Bill company.

    Let us know next time you plan a ride west of Idaho. My own Ms. Adventure
    is sooo looking forward to meeting some other gals who don't mind chewing
    some dirt from time to time. Ms. Adventure is none too happy that the MTB
    OR weekend turned out to be a boyz trip, but then again I'm just along for
    the ride. Hope to get some decent pics to post here next week.

    Cheers
    Gary

    "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GWood said:

    Considering an '04 or '05 Marzocchi MX for my XC bike. The bike
    frame is designed around an 80mm fork. Wondering what the differences
    are between the MX Comp Coil and Comp Air versions in terms of ride
    and maintenance?

    I've got the 105 MX that locks out to about 85. I replaced a 80- mm RS


    SID

    Quoted message said:

    just a few months ago. Other than a slight increased tendency to wander, I
    love it.... not the info you were exactly seeking, but maybe it's useful.

    Hey, how come you didn't come to Idaho?

    penny

  5. Just to complicate the issue, found two forks on a local list that might
    also work.

    1 - 2002 MX Comp 105 ETA. "Lightly used for 5 months then taken off".
    Asking : $100. Condition: Supposedly good.
    2 - 2002 RS Psylo. New, never mounted, steerer uncut. Asking $200.
    [Metallic green. What were they thinking?]

    Is there a likelihood that seals would have dried up or anything with
    non-use? Neither has had any work done on them.

    "GWood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Considering an '04 or '05 Marzocchi MX for my XC bike. The bike frame is
    designed around an 80mm fork. Wondering what the differences are between


    the

    Quoted message said:

    MX Comp Coil and Comp Air versions in terms of ride and maintenance?

  6. GWood said:

    Hmmm. Was thinking about the 105 ETA as well... is it a double coil
    or a coil/air?

    Tendency to wander? Is that a philosophical observation, or a
    comment on the fork stiffness?

    I think it's a geometry comment.

    Quoted message said:


    As for Idaho, I didn't really clue in until ride reports got posted.
    Sure sounds like you all had a good time, and the pics were awesome
    (not sucky at all). A bit of a trek for weekend warriors like us.
    And alas, I'm off to MTB Oregon this weekend to keep my buddy Bill
    company.

    um, sorry you missed out! All the planning has pretty much occured on the ng
    with such threads as "AMB-ID headcount", since January. Ketchum was a
    looooong drive. ( 9 hours)

    Quoted message said:


    Let us know next time you plan a ride west of Idaho. My own Ms.
    Adventure is sooo looking forward to meeting some other gals who
    don't mind chewing some dirt from time to time. Ms. Adventure is
    none too happy that the MTB OR weekend turned out to be a boyz trip,
    but then again I'm just along for the ride. Hope to get some decent
    pics to post here next week.

    more women is good. We are kicking around St Helen's, SW WA for next year.
    We might have to do it earlier so the Plains of Abraham aren't so hot and
    dry. Stay tuned, and quit working so hard. Screwing off on the computer and
    reading the ng a lot is how you stay connected to these things. ;-)

    Penny

  7. GWood said:

    Hmmm. Was thinking about the 105 ETA as well... is it a double coil
    or a coil/air?

    um, I forget.

  8. GWood said:

    Just to complicate the issue, found two forks on a local list that might
    also work.

    1 - 2002 MX Comp 105 ETA. "Lightly used for 5 months then taken off".
    Asking : $100. Condition: Supposedly good.

    Rockshox isn't the best choice of these two, IMO.

    I think this isn't too bad. If the seals are shot, then you're out
    another $40 or so to get new. It's not that big a deal. If they were
    only on 5 months, and it doesn't look like they've been totally
    trashed, then yeah, I'd pay $100 for them. If they have play in the
    bushings, or are leaking past the seals (which should happen, either
    one, in five months) then I'd keep on walkin'...

    🙂

    E.P.

  9. If the geometry is affected, can't you "ETA" it down to 85 or 90mm ? That
    would be my plan if I get one... I'd be interested to know if you think this
    doesn't work.

    "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GWood said:

    Tendency to wander? Is that a philosophical observation, or a
    comment on the fork stiffness?

    I think it's a geometry comment.

  10. GWood said:

    If the geometry is affected, can't you "ETA" it down to 85 or 90mm ?
    That would be my plan if I get one... I'd be interested to know if
    you think this doesn't work.

    "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GWood said:

    Tendency to wander? Is that a philosophical observation, or a
    comment on the fork stiffness?

    I think it's a geometry comment.

    The shortening feature is only good for climbing as in extended fireroad.
    When you shorten it/lock it out, it is useless for suspension purposes.

    P.

  11. GWood said:

    Considering an '04 or '05 Marzocchi MX for my XC bike. The bike frame is
    designed around an 80mm fork. Wondering what the differences are between the
    MX Comp Coil and Comp Air versions in terms of ride and maintenance?

    I'm a 210lb East Coast rooty/rocky XC type of rider.
    I picked up a 2004 MX Comp Coil 80mm off craigslist for $150 early this
    year and like it.
    What's the trio? Cheap/strong/light, pick two?
    They're not light, and there isn't much exteral adjustability, but for
    the money it's a plush, duh-simple XC fork. On the recommendation of a
    mechanic I have it set notably softer than my previous forks (mostly
    air), which kinda sucks when sprinting in flats but works really nicely
    when bombing babyheads and roots for 80mm. It shoots through the travel
    quickly but doesn't bottom out often enough to make me buy a stiffer
    spring than stock.
    If you're a cheap, sizeable galoot of the install/adjust/forget
    variety, snap it up.
    As for differences between it and the Air version, I don't know. My
    previous fork was a 99 Marz Superfly, which wasn't too bad a fork all
    things considered but dates from so long ago that there's probably no
    basis for comparison with more recent air forks. I rode a friend's
    Spesh with an Fox F100X Air Terralogic valved fork and, wow, that's a
    nice $800 fork.
    /s

  12. Ahhhh. Call me simple. I expected that it would just reduce the travel
    range and still allow the suspension to work. Guess I've been in the low
    tech world too long. Not sure how my '02 Klein Adept would like another
    inch of fork up front. Probably alter the steerer angle by a degree or so?

    Can you set it for more sag to account for the extra leg length? Or does
    that just make the fork too mushy for you?

    Man, this is getting complicated.

    "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GWood said:

    If the geometry is affected, can't you "ETA" it down to 85 or 90mm ?
    That would be my plan if I get one... I'd be interested to know if
    you think this doesn't work.

    "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    GWood wrote:
    > Tendency to wander? Is that a philosophical observation, or a
    > comment on the fork stiffness?

    I think it's a geometry comment.

    The shortening feature is only good for climbing as in extended fireroad.
    When you shorten it/lock it out, it is useless for suspension purposes.

    P.

  13. GWood wrote: {top-post moved for flow}

    Quoted message said:

    "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The shortening feature is only good for climbing as in extended
    fireroad. When you shorten it/lock it out, it is useless for
    suspension purposes.

    Quoted message said:

    Ahhhh. Call me simple. I expected that it would just reduce the
    travel range and still allow the suspension to work.

    Prety sure Penny's wrong about that. Unless a fork is TOTALLY locked out
    (and compressed) the suspension still works. (Certainly so on "variable
    travel" models; it would make no sense for a 3" setting to be rigid while
    the 4" is boingy.)

    Quoted message said:

    Guess I've been
    in the low tech world too long. Not sure how my '02 Klein Adept
    would like another inch of fork up front. Probably alter the steerer
    angle by a degree or so?

    I never ride it any more, but my Fisher Paragon now has my old X-fly 100 on
    it, and the ride is fine. Set the fork a bit on the plush side and it will
    be buttah...

    Quoted message said:

    Can you set it for more sag to account for the extra leg length? Or
    does that just make the fork too mushy for you?

    That's how I set up the hardtail when I went from 80mm to 100. Mushiness
    not noted. (Air fork, BTW.)

    Quoted message said:


    Man, this is getting complicated.

    Nah.

    BS

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.