Does anyone know where I can get a mask which is good for traffic pollution. I have a 10 mile cycle to work, with the last 4 miles in heavy traffic. I am under the impression that the standard masks sold are good for dust etc. but not PM10s, PM5s, CO and all the other really bad traffic pollution. I imagine industrial masks (paint spraying etc) would do the job, but what is the most minimalist mask which would?
Does anyone know where I can get a mask which is good for traffic pollution. I have a 10 mile cycle to work, with the last 4 miles in heavy traffic. I am under the impression that the standard masks sold are good for dust etc. but not PM10s, PM5s, CO and all the other really bad traffic pollution. I imagine industrial masks (paint spraying etc) would do the job, but what is the most minimalist mask which would?
thanks
stew
Try an army surplus shop. You really need a gas mask.
Try an army surplus shop. You really need a gas mask.
Indeed. What the man said. Most of these masks are pretty useless. Console yourself with the thought that you are getting less pollutants than the drivers, and keep the exertion level lowish
When I saw the title, I though this was a Mardi Gras thing... LBS's carry pollution filter masks (at least, Bee Line cycles in Oxford do), can't remember the make, might be japanese, they go in for them a lot, but VOCs never killed noone did they?
<[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know where I can get a mask which is good for traffic pollution. I have a 10 mile cycle to work, with the last 4 miles in heavy traffic. I am under the impression that the standard masks sold are good for dust etc. but not PM10s, PM5s, CO and all the other really bad traffic pollution. I imagine industrial masks (paint spraying etc) would do the job, but what is the most minimalist mask which would?
You will not get a simple mask that will remove CO or any other gases/vapours.
Received widom is that the air quality is actually healthier outside the cars than in them and that the benefits from the exercise outweigh the risks from inhalation of particulate matter.
<[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Bbenefits from the exercise outweigh the risks from inhalation of particulate matter.
You could filter out a lot of the black stuff that eminates from diesels with a simple mask from b&q or builders supply shop. TerryJ
You'd be surprised at how much of it gets through.....
The OP's primary concerns were the smaller particles and noxious gases.
IIRC the pollution masks sold for cycling tended to trap the pollutants and then outgas them into your breathing so that you were no better and possibly worse off with them than without
-- Tony
"The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right." - Lord Hailsham
<[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know where I can get a mask which is good for traffic pollution. I have a 10 mile cycle to work, with the last 4 miles in heavy traffic. I am under the impression that the standard masks sold are good for dust etc. but not PM10s, PM5s, CO and all the other really bad traffic pollution. I imagine industrial masks (paint spraying etc) would do the job, but what is the most minimalist mask which would?
You will not get a simple mask that will remove CO or any other gases/vapours.
Received widom is that the air quality is actually healthier outside the cars than in them and that the benefits from the exercise outweigh the risks from inhalation of particulate matter.
except i exercise anyway in the country and this commute probably reduces that. i just want to make sure my commute isnt making me less healthy
except i exercise anyway in the country and this commute probably reduces that. i just want to make sure my commute isnt making me less healthy
Your commute is not making you less healthy, the benefit from exercising in the pollutants outweighs the harmful effects of the pollutants. You will not get less healthy, you'll just get healthier more slowly :-)
except i exercise anyway in the country and this commute probably reduces that. i just want to make sure my commute isnt making me less healthy
Your commute is not making you less healthy, the benefit from exercising in the pollutants outweighs the harmful effects of the pollutants. You will not get less healthy, you'll just get healthier more slowly :-)
even if i replace my 1.5 hour cycle in the clean country air with my filthy 1.5 hour city cycle?
even if i replace my 1.5 hour cycle in the clean country air with my filthy 1.5 hour city cycle?
Apparently so.
There is a noticible improvement in air here in Leeds. There are fewer noxious niffs when mixing it with rush hour traffic on my bike. Catalysed exhausts and emissions testing have contibuted to the improved state of affairs.
<[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Does anyone know where I can get a mask which is good for traffic pollution. I have a 10 mile cycle to work, with the last 4 miles in heavy traffic. I am under the impression that the standard masks sold are good for dust etc. but not PM10s, PM5s, CO and all the other really bad traffic pollution. I imagine industrial masks (paint spraying etc) would do the job, but what is the most minimalist mask which would?
You will not get a simple mask that will remove CO or any other gases/vapours.
Received widom is that the air quality is actually healthier outside the cars than in them and that the benefits from the exercise outweigh the risks from inhalation of particulate matter.
There's a link for this which I posted ages ago. I can't remember where to find it, though.
Received widom is that the air quality is actually healthier outside the cars than in them and that the benefits from the exercise outweigh the risks from inhalation of particulate matter.
Dunno where you receive your wisdom from, but according to this : http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8563 You're better off in a car than on a bike, pity the poor sods that have to take a taxi.
Received widom is that the air quality is actually healthier outside the cars than in them and that the benefits from the exercise outweigh the risks from inhalation of particulate matter.
That study seems to haved limited its definition of "pollution" to particulate matter, which is nasty, but by no means the only or the worst pollutant. See this report for a broader assesment:
For example: "Concentrations of Benzene, a known carcinogen, reach levels inside automobiles nearly tow-and-half times higher than in the air breathed by bicyclists, according to a Raleigh, NC, study"
> Received widom is that the air quality is actually healthier outside > the cars than in them and that the benefits from the exercise > outweigh the risks from inhalation of particulate matter.
That study seems to haved limited its definition of "pollution" to particulate matter, which is nasty, but by no means the only or the worst pollutant. See this report for a broader assesment:
For example: "Concentrations of Benzene, a known carcinogen, reach levels inside automobiles nearly tow-and-half times higher than in the air breathed by bicyclists, according to a Raleigh, NC, study"
do cars not have filters on the air intakes (for the car interior)? you would have thought it would be easy enough to make pollution levels in a car as close to zero as makes no difference.
For example: "Concentrations of Benzene, a known carcinogen, reach levels inside automobiles nearly tow-and-half times higher than in the air breathed by bicyclists, according to a Raleigh, NC, study"
do cars not have filters on the air intakes (for the car interior)?
Yes. However, lots of the nasty stuff is too small to be stopped by the filter.
Quoted message said:
you would have thought it would be easy enough to make pollution levels in a car as close to zero as makes no difference.
Indeed, if you hermetically sealed it. However, then there is the minor issue of breathing to be considered.
do cars not have filters on the air intakes (for the car interior)? you would have thought it would be easy enough to make pollution levels in a car as close to zero as makes no difference.
The nasty stuff, the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) such as Toluene and Benzene (you can smell 'em in a city street, especially on a cold morning) are tiny, wee molecules, such as C7H8 - I'm not sure your seal a car effectively against them and still let air in, you'd have to go to creating a higher pressure in the car, but that would mean carrying an compressed air cylinder, as you couldn't filter the ambient air of such compounds. Best bet would be for car occupants just to wear an aqualung.