Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mavic 631 - removing the steel posts

Started by James Thomson · · Last activity · 16 posts · 766 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 November 2006
Last activity
30 November 2006
Original author
James Thomson
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
766
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'd like to remove the steel posts from a Mavic 631 crank. Each post has a
    5mm allen socket at its base, but using all the force I dare, nothing's
    moving. I presume they're Loctited, and my next approach will be the careful
    application of heat, but I wonder if anybody's done this before and can
    enlighten.

    James Thomson

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    James Thomson said:

    I'd like to remove the steel posts from a Mavic 631 crank. Each post has a
    5mm allen socket at its base, but using all the force I dare, nothing's
    moving. I presume they're Loctited, and my next approach will be the careful
    application of heat, but I wonder if anybody's done this before and can
    enlighten.

    Are these posts the ones the chainrings attach to? I've never look
    closely at these cranks and have never taken one apart. From the
    descriptions I can find, the chainrings are affixed on steel posts which
    presumably thread into the crank spider.

    I think that I would not use heat at all, given the potential risk of
    weakening the aluminum. You'd basically be doing uncontrolled heat
    treatment. Have you tried a penetrating oil and then tapping the posts
    gently with a hammer?

  3. James Thomson said:

    I'd like to remove the steel posts from a Mavic 631 crank. Each post has a
    5mm allen socket at its base, but using all the force I dare, nothing's
    moving. I presume they're Loctited, and my next approach will be the careful
    application of heat, but I wonder if anybody's done this before and can
    enlighten.

    James Thomson

    Any particular reason you want to do this? They're in there tight.

    Anyway- find a good, tight-fitting hex wrench. Clamp it, short end
    pointed up, in a bench vice. Place the post down over hex wrench (it's
    probably a good idea to clean them out thoroughly first). Use the crank
    for additional leverage to break them loose one by one. After they're
    loose, remove them all the way normally.

    Wear gloves while doing this. They can let go with a snap and there's
    plent of parts that can bite.

    Jeff

  4. JeffWills said:
    James Thomson said:

    I'd like to remove the steel posts from a Mavic 631 crank. Each post has a
    5mm allen socket at its base, but using all the force I dare, nothing's
    moving. I presume they're Loctited, and my next approach will be the careful
    application of heat, but I wonder if anybody's done this before and can
    enlighten.

    James Thomson

    Any particular reason you want to do this?

    I was wondering this myself; what's to be gained?

    Quoted message said:

    They're in there tight.

    Anyway- find a good, tight-fitting hex wrench. Clamp it, short end
    pointed up, in a bench vice. Place the post down over hex wrench (it's
    probably a good idea to clean them out thoroughly first). Use the crank
    for additional leverage to break them loose one by one. After they're
    loose, remove them all the way normally.

    Wear gloves while doing this. They can let go with a snap and there's
    plent of parts that can bite.

    Jeff

  5. "Tim McNamara" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    Are these posts the ones the chainrings attach to? I've never
    look closely at these cranks and have never taken one apart.

    When I reread my my post I realised that my question would probably only be
    immediately clear to someone capable of giving me an answer.

    Quoted message said:

    I think that I would not use heat at all, given the potential risk of
    weakening the aluminum. You'd basically be doing uncontrolled
    heat treatment.

    My idea of "careful application of heat" begins with boiling water, and ends
    with the method frequently described to free stuck pedals.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you tried a penetrating oil and then tapping the
    posts gently with a hammer?

    Not yet.

    "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    Any particular reason you want to do this?

    Yep.

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering this myself; what's to be gained?

    I'd like to run them as a low Q, narrow chainline single. With the posts
    removed, a single chainring should bolt flush against the spider without
    spacers, and I can use a shorter bottom bracket than I could get away with
    if the posts were in situ.

    James Thomson

  6. "James Thomson" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to remove the steel posts from a Mavic 631 crank. Each
    post has a 5mm allen socket at its base, but using all the force I dare,
    nothing's moving. I presume they're Loctited, and my next approach
    will be the careful application of heat, but I wonder if anybody's done
    this before and can enlighten.

    Well, it turned out to be simple. I ran a kettle full of boiling water over
    the crank. The posts then come out very easily, right hand threaded, and
    show residues of a thread lock compound. The chainring then fits flush
    against the spider using ordinary chainring bolts.

    Thanks for the advice.

    James Thomson

  7. James Thomson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering this myself; what's to be gained?

    I'd like to run them as a low Q, narrow chainline single. With the posts
    removed, a single chainring should bolt flush against the spider without
    spacers, and I can use a shorter bottom bracket than I could get away with
    if the posts were in situ.

    OK, that makes sense. The only problem you *might* run into is that
    you're limited in your chainring choice. With the 631 arm, you can't
    run a small-ish ring- I think 48 or 49 teeth is the smallest before the
    chain runs into the spider.

    Jeff

  8. JeffWills said:
    James Thomson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering this myself; what's to be gained?

    I'd like to run them as a low Q, narrow chainline single. With the posts
    removed, a single chainring should bolt flush against the spider without
    spacers, and I can use a shorter bottom bracket than I could get away with
    if the posts were in situ.

    OK, that makes sense. The only problem you *might* run into is that
    you're limited in your chainring choice. With the 631 arm, you can't
    run a small-ish ring- I think 48 or 49 teeth is the smallest before the
    chain runs into the spider.

    Based on experience, 49T is the limit, unless you want to "modify" the
    spider..

  9. "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    JeffWills wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    With the 631 arm, you can't run a small-ish ring- I think 48 or 49
    teeth is the smallest before the chain runs into the spider.

    Quoted message said:

    Based on experience, 49T is the limit, unless you want to "modify"
    the spider..

    I have a 631 with a 48t big ring on my desk as I type this - there's ample
    clearance between the chain and the tips of the spider.

    I was guilty of an imprecision: the crank I'll be singlespeeding is a 631/2
    with shorter arms and a 44t minimum big ring. I'll be using a 45.

    James Thomson

  10. James Thomson said:

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:

    JeffWills wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    With the 631 arm, you can't run a small-ish ring- I think 48 or 49
    teeth is the smallest before the chain runs into the spider.

    Quoted message said:

    Based on experience, 49T is the limit, unless you want to "modify"
    the spider..

    I have a 631 with a 48t big ring on my desk as I type this - there's ample
    clearance between the chain and the tips of the spider.

    I was wondering how this was possible....

    Quoted message said:


    I was guilty of an imprecision: the crank I'll be singlespeeding is a 631/2
    with shorter arms and a 44t minimum big ring. I'll be using a 45.

    ......and this explains it all!

    Quoted message said:


    James Thomson

  11. "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    James Thomson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a 631 with a 48t big ring on my desk as I type this - there's
    ample clearance between the chain and the tips of the spider.

    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering how this was possible....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was guilty of an imprecision: the crank I'll be singlespeeding is a
    631/2 with shorter arms and a 44t minimum big ring. I'll be using a 45.

    Quoted message said:

    .....and this explains it all!

    No it doesn't.

    I bought several complete sets of 631 and 631/2 cranks at a sale at the
    weekend. The crank from which I removed the posts is a 631/2: I was
    imprecise, but the difference wasn't relevant to my original question. The
    631 crank on my desk is of the earlier design with the more extravagant
    spider, and it has a 48t TA big ring fitted. Using the first chain that came
    to hand, a SRAM PC59, the closest possible clearance between chain and
    spider is 1.6mm.

    James Thomson

  12. James Thomson said:

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    James Thomson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a 631 with a 48t big ring on my desk as I type this - there's
    ample clearance between the chain and the tips of the spider.

    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering how this was possible....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was guilty of an imprecision: the crank I'll be singlespeeding is a
    631/2 with shorter arms and a 44t minimum big ring. I'll be using a 45.

    Quoted message said:

    .....and this explains it all!

    No it doesn't.

    I bought several complete sets of 631 and 631/2 cranks at a sale at the
    weekend. The crank from which I removed the posts is a 631/2: I was
    imprecise, but the difference wasn't relevant to my original question. The
    631 crank on my desk is of the earlier design with the more extravagant
    spider, and it has a 48t TA big ring fitted. Using the first chain that came
    to hand, a SRAM PC59, the closest possible clearance between chain and
    spider is 1.6mm.

    Way back in 1990, I put a 48T Mavic ring on a 631, it fouled the chain.
    Absolutely. I had to eat the 48.

  13. Ozark Bicycle said:


    Way back in 1990, I put a 48T Mavic ring on a 631, it fouled the chain.
    Absolutely. I had to eat the 48.

    What beer goes well with chainrings?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

  14. Johnny Sunset said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:


    Way back in 1990, I put a 48T Mavic ring on a 631, it fouled the chain.
    Absolutely. I had to eat the 48.

    What beer goes well with chainrings?

    I had it with a fine Chianti.

  15. "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Way back in 1990, I put a 48T Mavic ring on a 631, it fouled the
    chain. Absolutely. I had to eat the 48.

    Quoted message said:

    I had it with a fine Chianti.

    Well there's your problem: Italian wine with French food. What were you
    thinking?

    My 631 cranks have 1992 and 1993 date codes (1994 and 1996 for the 631/2
    sets). I won't enumerate the obvious possibilities.

    James Thomson

  16. James Thomson said:

    "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> a écrit:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Way back in 1990, I put a 48T Mavic ring on a 631, it fouled the
    > chain. Absolutely. I had to eat the 48.

    Quoted message said:

    I had it with a fine Chianti.

    Well there's your problem: Italian wine with French food. What were you
    thinking?

    International harmony?

    Quoted message said:


    My 631 cranks have 1992 and 1993 date codes (1994 and 1996 for the 631/2
    sets). I won't enumerate the obvious possibilities.

    Interestingly, when the 48T ring arrived (1990), it wasn't drilled for
    the stud found on most outer chainrings. I thought this a bit; when I
    put the ring on the crankarm, I saw why it wasn't there.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.