Road Cycling · Public discussion

Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 465 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 August 2007
Last activity
7 August 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
465
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Has anyone had any experiences with the Mavic Carbone Ultimate wheels.
    I was thinking of getting a pair, but having non-replaceable spokes
    with no truing adjustment makes quite nervous. There always is that
    one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

  2. [email hidden] schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    nervous. There always is that
    one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

    So? As long as your team is paying I wouldn't worry.

    --
    E. Dronkert

  3. On Aug 6, 12:17 pm, Ewoud Dronkert <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    nervous. There always is that
    one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

    So? As long as your team is paying I wouldn't worry.

    --
    E. Dronkert

    Don't I wish I had a team to pay for a $3000 set of wheels. I live in
    San Diego and the roads were in very good condition. There were so few
    potholes that I used to know where most of them were. Today the roads
    are so torn up that if you take your eyes off the road for a minute
    you will end up hitting a big pothole. One big problem is that the
    city does not have a quality assurance program for roadwork. It's
    really gotten bad with all the contractors that the utilities and the
    city hires. The other big problem is that the repairs are not
    coordinated. Awhile back I can remember how smooth the road was after
    it was just resurfaced. About a week later SDG&E started tearing up
    the road.

    LA & Caltrans has a much better system. Caltrans has a materials
    requirements program for all roadwork done. Whenever a repair is done
    to the road in a LA a brass ring is placed with the date and name of
    the contractor. If the repair goes bad within 2 years they are
    required to fix it.

  4. Quoted post said:

    Has anyone had any experiences with the Mavic Carbone Ultimate wheels.
    I was thinking of getting a pair, but having non-replaceable spokes
    with no truing adjustment makes quite nervous. There always is that
    one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

    My experience, as in most things in that rarefied price range, is
    purely intellectual - you know, reading about 'em. The Mavic rear is
    tweakable to some extent, but not the front. Mavic also offers an
    insurance policy of sorts for about 10% of the cost of the wheels.

    I think you should get them.

    R

  5. RicodJour said:
    Quoted post said:

    Has anyone had any experiences with the Mavic Carbone Ultimate wheels.
    I was thinking of getting a pair, but having non-replaceable spokes
    with no truing adjustment makes quite nervous. There always is that
    one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

    My experience, as in most things in that rarefied price range, is
    purely intellectual - you know, reading about 'em. The Mavic rear is
    tweakable to some extent, but not the front. Mavic also offers an
    insurance policy of sorts for about 10% of the cost of the wheels.

    I think you should get them.

    R

    Irony there?

    You need to quantitatively evaluate what you think they will do for you relative to other options.

    For example, if a pair of wheels saves 200 grams relative to another, and if you climb a 1 km hill, and your total bike + rider is 85 kg, the wheels will save around 2 meters, assuming 90% of energy loss is mass-proportional.

    2 meters could break your race. Then again, if you start the hill one spot higher in the paceline, that has the same effect.

    Dan

  6. On Aug 6, 5:17 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>

    Quoted message said:
    RicodJour said:

    On Aug 6, 3:07 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone had any experiences with the Mavic Carbone Ultimate wheels.
    I was thinking of getting a pair, but having non-replaceable spokes
    with no truing adjustment makes quite nervous. There always is that
    one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

    Quoted message said:

    My experience, as in most things in that rarefied price range, is
    purely intellectual - you know, reading about 'em. The Mavic rear is
    tweakable to some extent, but not the front. Mavic also offers an
    insurance policy of sorts for about 10% of the cost of the wheels.

    Quoted message said:

    I think you should get them.

    Irony there?

    None at all. I'm just supremely gifted at spending other people's
    money. He's on the brink of getting them and I'm giving him a kick in
    the pants. Least I can do. 😉

    R

  7. RicodJour said:

    On Aug 6, 5:17 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>

    Quoted message said:
    RicodJour said:

    On Aug 6, 3:07 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > Has anyone had any experiences with the Mavic Carbone Ultimate wheels.
    > I was thinking of getting a pair, but having non-replaceable spokes
    > with no truing adjustment makes quite nervous. There always is that
    > one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

    Quoted message said:

    My experience, as in most things in that rarefied price range, is
    purely intellectual - you know, reading about 'em. The Mavic rear is
    tweakable to some extent, but not the front. Mavic also offers an
    insurance policy of sorts for about 10% of the cost of the wheels.

    Quoted message said:

    I think you should get them.

    Irony there?

    None at all. I'm just supremely gifted at spending other people's
    money. He's on the brink of getting them and I'm giving him a kick in
    the pants. Least I can do. 😉

    Besides, how'll we ever know how those things are in real life without someone
    shelling out some cash. His cash.

    Myself, I never buy bleeding edge technology, I'm the 3rd, 4th generation guy at
    soonest. Usually I wait until it's blister packed, which one day these
    unadjustable CF wheels will be. Until then it's up to someone else to keep the
    technology alive and deal with bugs and beta testing so that the technology is
    sufficiently refined, inexpensive and familiar enough for me to shell out my
    cash for one day.

    In the meanwhile, RJ, you're doing the lord's work here, keep on with the
    encouragements.

    Ron

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    Has anyone had any experiences with the Mavic Carbone Ultimate wheels.
    I was thinking of getting a pair, but having non-replaceable spokes
    with no truing adjustment makes quite nervous. There always is that
    one really bad pothole that is unavoidable.

    Have you checked out the Reynolds wheels? The DV46UL is only 20 grams per set
    heavier than the Carbone Ultimate and the spokes are adjustable front and back. I got
    a chance to demo a set of the standard DV46C earlier this year and liked them a lot.
    They have very good vertical compliance (makes for a good, smooth ride) and good
    lateral stiffness. Interestingly, in rough corners, they were very smooth rolling -
    not choppy and prone to stuttering like some other stiff wheels. My one complaint was
    the braking - when using the Zipp pads that Reynolds reccomended at that time, the
    brakes would shriek as soon as you got on them. Very disturbing (or disquieting). The
    problem was that the pads were actually becoming molten and bits of melted pad were
    shooting out the front. They suggest going with the Swiss Stop pad now and say the
    problem is solved.

    http://www.reynoldscycling.com/products_wheels_dv46ul.html

    Anyway, if you want to spend a metric buttload of sheckels on wheels, you could
    get a set of the Reynolds rims and have them laced onto some DT 190 Ceramic hubs.

    http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=hubs.bikedetail&id=37

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Never take a tenant with a monkey.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.