William H. O'Hara said:Quoted message said:The time you waste going back and forth to your local shop, who
obviously doesn't know how to properly stress relieve and tension a
wheel, will more than make up for one trip to the reputable bike
shop who can probably fix the problem permanently. Like everyone
else has already said good rim, bad build.
Quoted message said:Let me put it this way I will go find someone in the area to give me
an opinion. I was wondering if the requirement of a little truing
would be necessary on a monthly basis. However, the rear was way
too much last time.
Unless you crash or sit on the wheel in transit, no maintenance should
be required. Consider that steel and aluminum do not creep and spoke
nipples cannot unscrew on a properly built wheel. So what is there to
tune up? Wheels should be maintenance free if they are well built.
Quoted message said:Everybody thinks very highly of a person just because of a website
and I was not very suitably impressed to justify taking time off
from work for him. My time is spent elsewhere and 2 hours to go
visit is not going to appear. Thanks for the help but recommending
me to go there does little.
Build your own wheels. It isn't high tech. Actually it's more like
cooking with a good cookbook. Just follow instructions. The next
time it will be self evident an you won't be dependent on a bicycle
mechanic who refuses to read about the subject.
Quoted message said:The same goes for most bicycle shops in this area as I had previous
visited a multitude of them. I left with impressions of
ill-informed salesmen and questionable tech support to be fraught
with long travel times.
ibid
Quoted message said:The story that I got from the bike shop indicated that they need
periodic truing, but I didn't really buy it. So, what I really like
to know if there is a book on building wheels. I will go take a
look for such a thing.
http://www.avocet.com/wheelbook/wheelbook.html
Jobst Brandt
[email hidden]