Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mavic Ksyrium rear tire breaking

Started by Dan R H · · Last activity · 10 posts · 644 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 July 2004
Last activity
9 July 2004
Original author
Dan R H
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
644
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some steep
    stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of my bike
    ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother looking at
    the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks! One picture is
    at http://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpg.

    Anyone had similar "issues" with your K's?

    Thanks,

    Dan Hertlein

  2. "Dan R H" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some steep
    stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of my bike
    ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother looking at
    the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks! One picture is
    at http://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpg.

    Anyone had similar "issues" with your K's?


    Ugh, time for a rebuild! The question is are you stuck with Mavic K rims or
    can you get something more "durable"? Good Luck!....

  3. I'm definitely gonna rebuild but I think the rim's gonna cost close to $150!
    I may be wrong on that one but... Now I've gotta decide whether or not to
    keep the set. I've also got a set of Bontrager Race Lite's that are light
    and seem to be durable so far....

    Dan

    "bfd" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Dan R H" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some


    steep

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of my


    bike

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother looking


    at

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks! One picture


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    at http://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpg.

    Anyone had similar "issues" with your K's?


    Ugh, time for a rebuild! The question is are you stuck with Mavic K rims


    or

    Quoted message said:

    can you get something more "durable"? Good Luck!....

  4. Dan R H said:

    I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some
    steep stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of
    my bike ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother
    looking at the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks!
    One picture is at
    http://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpghttp://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpg.
    Anyone had similar "issues" with your K's?
    Thanks,
    Dan Hertlein

    Drive side spokes? Age? Weight?

    --

  5. Dan R H said:

    I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some
    steep stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of
    my bike ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother
    looking at the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks!
    One picture is at
    http://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpghttp://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpg.
    Anyone had similar "issues" with your K's?
    Thanks,
    Dan Hertlein

    Drive side spokes? Age? Weight?

    --

  6. Dan R H said:

    I'm definitely gonna rebuild but I think the rim's gonna cost close to $150!
    I may be wrong on that one but... Now I've gotta decide whether or not to
    keep the set. I've also got a set of Bontrager Race Lite's that are light
    and seem to be durable so far....

    Dan

    I had a Campy Nucleon rear rim fail. Cost of rim alone was $160. Taught
    me a lesson. Never buy boutique wheels when wheels built with off the
    shelf parts are just as light and can be made very durable. Oh, btw I
    never did rebuild my Nucleon for fear of it breaking again. I weigh 175
    pounds.

    Kenny Lee

  7. Yes, yes and a big yes of course.

    "Weisse Luft" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan R H said:

    I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some
    steep stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my bike ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother
    looking at the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks!
    One picture is at


    http://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpghttp://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpg.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anyone had similar "issues" with your K's?
    Thanks,
    Dan Hertlein

    Drive side spokes? Age? Weight?

    --

  8. Dan R H said:

    I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some steep
    stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of my bike
    ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother looking at
    the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks! One picture is
    at http://mixednutsband.com/crack4.jpg.

    Anyone had similar "issues" with your K's?

    Thanks,

    Dan Hertlein


    probably, over here (NL) there is a waiting list for spare -rear- rims 😉

    /Marten

  9. dan-<< I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some
    steep
    stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of my bike
    ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother looking at
    the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks! >><BR><BR>

    Not that uncommon on these and other ksyriums.

    dan-

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  10. [email hidden] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    dan-<< I've got a set of '03 SSL's with about 8k on them. I'm climbing some
    steep
    stuff and I'm hearing all kinds of racket out of the rear (out of my bike
    ;-)) and I notice the wheel's out of true. I don't even bother looking at
    the rim. My LBS takes one look at it and finds five cracks! >><BR><BR>

    Not that uncommon on these and other ksyriums.

    dan-

    Peter Chisholm

    Silliums are supposed to be replaced by your sponsor every
    season. Leaving a third of the spokes out of what amounts
    to an OpenPro is not a very bright idea. But charging $160
    for an OpenPro is brilliant, a real "Margin Multiplier"
    for Mr. Mavic. I think I'll put some foil stickers on
    MA3's and sell'em for $100 as "Ksyrium Severe Duty Rims"

    Scott Goldsmith

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.