I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Mike Boersma
Sorni, pass the popcorn! 😉
With the post a couple of days ago concerning the explosive failure of a pair of CXP33s, it seems that Mavic is doing very poorly in quality control, and possibly initial design, if their rims are failing at this kind of rate that your dealer has been claiming to see.
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Mike Boersma
Sorni, pass the popcorn! 😉
With the post a couple of days ago concerning the explosive failure of a pair of CXP33s, it seems that Mavic is doing very poorly in quality control, and possibly initial design, if their rims are failing at this kind of rate that your dealer has been claiming to see.
All I know is my Crossmax XLs (rear hub especially) blow goats.
I just had a rim failure on my Mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other Mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to Mavic.. He also informed me that Mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not Mavic) so that Mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
Quoted message said:
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not BMX with them.
Quoted message said:
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
I've been carping about Mavic's poor rims since they gave up their best all time rim the MA-2 that had spoke sockets and eyelets. All these new rims have no sockets so the whole spoke load is supported by a small area of the inner rim wall.
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Read the warranty information carefully. Most states also have consumer warranty acts that make manufacturers liable if the product is not "merchantable" meaning that it is not reasonably good. The LBS may also have warranty obligations (which are usually waived on the invoice, but you can look). I would blow a gasket if someone told me that Mavic was not going to warranty a wheel that failed miserably after only 2K. And why on earth should it cost $200 to repair the Ksyriums? This is why I use only conventional wheels (mostly Aeroheads, Open Pros and some old MA2s). -- Jay Beattie.
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Read the warranty information carefully. Most states also have consumer warranty acts that make manufacturers liable if the product is not "merchantable" meaning that it is not reasonably good. The LBS may also have warranty obligations (which are usually waived on the invoice, but you can look). I would blow a gasket if someone told me that Mavic was not going to warranty a wheel that failed miserably after only 2K. And why on earth should it cost $200 to repair the Ksyriums? This is why I use only conventional wheels (mostly Aeroheads, Open Pros and some old MA2s). -- Jay Beattie.
Depending how fast you put the 2k miles and paid by credit card, then call your credit card company, refuse the charge and the dealer may get more searious about solving the problem with Mavic rather than makin git his customers problem and keeping his vendor/rep happy.
"mike boersma" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
On 10 Jun 2006 15:04:01 -0700, "mike boersma" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Depending how fast you put the 2k miles and paid by credit card, then call your credit card company, refuse the charge and the dealer may get more searious about solving the problem with Mavic rather than makin git his customers problem and keeping his vendor/rep happy.
I just had a rim failure on my mavic ksyrium ssc sl rear wheel on the drive side. When I brought the wheel to my dealer, he showed me several other mavic wheels with similar failures (right at the spoke nipple, on a spoke from the drive side of the wheel) awaiting shipment to mavic.. He also informed me that mavic is now blaming such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs. The dealers estimate was that there is, in his experience, about a 3%-6% failure rate on ksyrium wheels.
My wheels had less than 2k miles on them. They are road wheels -- I do not bmx with them.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Mike Boersma
We see 'eyelets' pulled out and lots of broken spokes...along with the obligatory rear hub OVH for dragy-ness and front hub OVH for noise. Mavic takes a look at each and frequently will not warranty some of them. Poor design, used by riders who should not use them and many riders who 'should' be in the envelope for these things. Just yesterday I replaced a spoke on a rear with 700 miles on it...he had heard they were 'bomb proof'(where does that come from??
I think it comes from bike outta box sellers, and bike makers that get sweet OEM deals and so lots of Bikes have them, even tho they are crappola in my experience.
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
I had it a cracked rim on a SSC-SL wheelset and I traded in all 4 Ksyrium SSC-SL wheelsets I had. I now hear lots of stories here about spoke nipples that come loose. Mavic glues them hwen they're returned, I understand.
I don't want any other Mavic (or other factory) wheelset any more.
"Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:
mike boersma wrote:
Snip
He also informed me that mavic is now blaming
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs.
Snip
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Read the warranty information carefully. Most states also have consumer warranty acts that make manufacturers liable if the product is not "merchantable" meaning that it is not reasonably good. The LBS may also have warranty obligations (which are usually waived on the invoice, but you can look).
Snip
Look for a website that gives you access to the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) for your state. Those engaging in business must comply with the local UCC for the state in which the business is being conducted. You might also find that a business may not waive a warranty in your particular state no matter what the receipt says on the back.
I am an attorney and am aware of UCC article 2. Michigan also has consumer protection laws for false advertising, etc.
I would rather not have to sue to enforce the warranty, but will if I have to.
Mike Boersma
Richard B said:
"Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:[email hidden]:
Quoted message said:
mike boersma wrote:
Snip
He also informed me that mavic is now blaming
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
such failures on the rider (and not mavic) so that mavic will not perform warrantee service at their own cost and will instead bill the rider (me) around $200 for repairs.
Snip
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Can anyone confirm what my dealer is saying? How wide spread is this problem? It seems fishy that a $750 wheelset with under 2k miles is failing and that the cost will add an additional $200 to the price.
Read the warranty information carefully. Most states also have consumer warranty acts that make manufacturers liable if the product is not "merchantable" meaning that it is not reasonably good. The LBS may also have warranty obligations (which are usually waived on the invoice, but you can look).
Snip
Look for a website that gives you access to the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) for your state. Those engaging in business must comply with the local UCC for the state in which the business is being conducted. You might also find that a business may not waive a warranty in your particular state no matter what the receipt says on the back.