Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mavic Open Pro & Open Pro CD

Started by RS · · Last activity · 52 posts · 7,111 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 June 2008
Last activity
28 June 2008
Original author
RS
Posts
52
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
7,111
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–52 of 52
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where the
    heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one has
    approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
    skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims (effectively
    ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the conventional pads
    melted.

    I did.

    <[email hidden]>

    --
    Michael Press

  2. Michael Press said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one
    has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
    skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    conventional pads melted.

    Quoted message said:

    I did.

    Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
    me guessing.

    Jobst Brandt

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Press said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one
    has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
    skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    conventional pads melted.

    Quoted message said:

    I did.

    Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
    me guessing.

    When you replied you removed from the quoted material
    the Message-ID of the message where I suggested mechanisms
    for dissipation of mechanical energy on those rims.

    --
    Michael Press

  4. Michael Press said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    > the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No
    > one has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery.
    > I am skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    > (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    > conventional pads melted.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I did.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did"
    leaves me guessing.

    Quoted message said:

    When you replied you removed from the quoted material the Message-ID
    of the message where I suggested mechanisms for dissipation of
    mechanical energy on those rims.

    [email hidden]

    I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or copy
    what you wrote there to this forum.

    Jobst Brandt

  5. "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Press said:

    > I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    > the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one
    > has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
    > skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    > (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    > conventional pads melted.

    Quoted message said:

    I did.

    Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
    me guessing.

    When you replied you removed from the quoted material
    the Message-ID of the message where I suggested mechanisms
    for dissipation of mechanical energy on those rims.

    Actually that looks like an email address.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    "Michael Press" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Michael Press <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >> I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    >> the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No one
    >> has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery. I am
    >> skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    >> (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    >> conventional pads melted.

    > I did.

    Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did" leaves
    me guessing.

    When you replied you removed from the quoted material
    the Message-ID of the message where I suggested mechanisms
    for dissipation of mechanical energy on those rims.

    Actually that looks like an email address.

    Except for the server named news.sf.sbcglobal.net
    that tells you it is a an nntp server, not smtp.

    You can look it up.
    -- Casey Stengel

    --
    Michael Press

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Press said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    >> the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No
    >> one has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery.
    >> I am skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    >> (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    >> conventional pads melted.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I did.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did"
    leaves me guessing.

    Quoted message said:

    When you replied you removed from the quoted material the Message-ID
    of the message where I suggested mechanisms for dissipation of
    mechanical energy on those rims.

    [email hidden]

    I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or copy
    what you wrote there to this forum.

    It is in this thread. You did not think it was worthy of
    comment the first time, so we'll just forget about it.

    --
    Michael Press

  8. Michael Press said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>> I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    >>> the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No
    >>> one has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery.
    >>> I am skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    >>> (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    >>> conventional pads melted.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> I did.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did"
    > leaves me guessing.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When you replied you removed from the quoted material the Message-ID
    of the message where I suggested mechanisms for dissipation of
    mechanical energy on those rims.

    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or
    copy what you wrote there to this forum.

    Quoted message said:

    It is in this thread. You did not think it was worthy of comment the
    first time, so we'll just forget about it.

    I have no idea what his link or how to use it. In another response
    you wrote:

    # Except for the server named news.sf.sbcglobal.net
    # that tells you it is a an nntp server, not smtp.

    #You can look it up.

    Please explain what I can do with:

    [email hidden]

    I Google searched and found many nntp references but no instructions
    on how to use it. Entering the above line does nothing from here.

    Jobst Brandt

  9. Quoted message said:
    Michael Press said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>>> I don't think you can have it both ways. That's why I ask where
    >>>> the heat is supposed to go and how does one get rid of it. No
    >>>> one has approached that matter and we seem to leave it a mystery.
    >>>> I am skeptical because in the early days of hard anodized rims
    >>>> (effectively ceramic coated) brakes worked poorly because the
    >>>> conventional pads melted.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>> I did.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> Pardon my failure to understand, but what did you do. "I did"
    >> leaves me guessing.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > When you replied you removed from the quoted material the Message-ID
    > of the message where I suggested mechanisms for dissipation of
    > mechanical energy on those rims.

    [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't know what to do with this reference. Please explain or
    copy what you wrote there to this forum.

    Quoted message said:

    It is in this thread. You did not think it was worthy of comment the
    first time, so we'll just forget about it.

    I have no idea what his link or how to use it. In another response
    you wrote:

    # Except for the server named news.sf.sbcglobal.net
    # that tells you it is a an nntp server, not smtp.

    #You can look it up.

    Please explain what I can do with:

    [email hidden]

    I Google searched and found many nntp references but no instructions
    on how to use it. Entering the above line does nothing from here.

    Jobst Brandt

    Dear Jobst,

    With a newsreader like Forte Free Agent, clicking on the link will pop
    up a message that the link is either an email-address or a message-id,
    let you choose which (or make an educated guess for you), and take you
    to the message.

    Here's a link to the post, so you can get back to the subject:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/96301b17ae9cc7c1

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  10. Michael Press wrote in:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/96301b17ae9cc7c1

    # Some places the heat can go.

    # Ablation of the ceramic
    # Ablation of the brake pad
    # Surface of the ceramic gets very hot at the pad contact patch,
    # then dumps the heat into the wind stream.

    None of the above methods is realistic or useful as is apparent by
    that no motor vehicle makes use of them. Having worked in designing
    brakes for production and racing cars, none of these were considered.
    I take it this is a put-on so I rather discuss practical aspects of
    braking instead of humoring someone with supposed comedy.

    Jobst Brandt

  11. Quoted message said:

    Michael Press wrote in:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/96301b17ae9cc7c1

    # Some places the heat can go.

    # Ablation of the ceramic
    # Ablation of the brake pad
    # Surface of the ceramic gets very hot at the pad contact patch,
    # then dumps the heat into the wind stream.

    None of the above methods is realistic or useful as is apparent by
    that no motor vehicle makes use of them.

    really? that's an extraordinary claim given that my brake pads ablate
    each time i apply them! my brakes dump heat each time i apply them too!

    Quoted message said:

    Having worked in designing
    brakes for production and racing cars, none of these were considered.

    extraordinary. how many months did you work for porsche jobst? and
    what exactly do the weasel words "working in designing" mean as opposed
    to plain old "designing"? did you actually design or did you not? if
    so, exactly what?

    Quoted message said:

    I take it this is a put-on so I rather discuss practical aspects of
    braking instead of humoring someone with supposed comedy.

    we'd /love/ for you to actually discuss the practical aspects!
    preferably with numbers and from a position of experience. actually
    using ceramic rims would be a dandy place for you to start. all you've
    done so far is allude to something on which you're not prepared to
    disclose detail, and scoff. oh, and evidence that you don't really
    understand what you're talking about given the above statements.

  12. Jakob Bartholdy Bruun said:

    A short digression
    Morten, how do the green swisstop pads wear compared to campy on your
    rims? I have the same rims (and yes - they do enhance braking) and I
    find that my campy pads wear pretty fast on the ceramic rims.

    The green swissstop lasts 3x longer than campys - however i have only
    worn two sets on the ceramic rims (one of each).. My comparison may
    not be fair.

    If rims and pads are newly cleaned he campy pads has better braking
    performance in dry weather but because of the wear, especially in rain,
    pads and rims quickly picks up a lot of dust witch degrades breaking
    performance significantly.
    However campy pads on ceramic rims picks up less dust than campy pads
    on aluminum rims. The green swissstop on the ceramic hardly pics up
    dust at all witch means that i almost never clean pads and rims and
    braking performance is almost the same regardless of conditions.

    I prefer the green swissstop because of their low maintanence (wear +
    cleaning) and ability to maintain braking power in rain and on long
    decents.

    --
    mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen

    "Besides, if you can't get a decent kernal panic
    or two in a month, what's the point of living?"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.