"Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:I went out on a metric yesterday....I had my Garmin Edge 305 with me. It
comes with Training Center Software. I also have accounts on
Motionbased.com and Routeslip.com. From Motionbased.com I can export a
file that I can then load into Routeslip.com. For the 65 mile course, this
is what these tools are claiming for the elevation gain:
Garmin Edge 305: 4025 ft
Training Center: 4770 ft
Motionbased.com: 5505 ft
Routeslip.com: 5130 ft
Which one is best to believe? I tend to take the word of the Edge, as it
was there with me on the ride and it's the lower number. Yet, I don't
have a clue if it is accurate or not, or how accurate it is likely to be.
I did do a ride the previous weekend which it measured at around 2600 ft
and this last ride definitely had more climbing (according to my legs and
HR). So, in a relative sense, the Edge seems to be making some sense. Of
course, the other tools also gave lower numbers than the ones above on
that ride too. So, relatively speaking, they seem to make sense.
But, as you can see, there is a different of ~1500 ft between the lowest
and highest estimate of elevation gain. Maybe I should take the average!
🙂
It is important to understand how you want to define elevation gained. The
amount of elevation gained depends on how small of a change in elevation you
want to add to the sum of elevation gained. To state it another way, it
depends on how much you want to smooth out the small elevation changes over
small periods of time.
If you travel over a bump up and down 6 inches and 12 inches long, do you
want to count that as 6 inches of elevation gained?
To give an absurd example, what if the road surface is level but bumpy,
perhaps a 1 mm bump every 10 mm of surface. If you count each of these
bumps as a 1 mm elevation gain, then you are gaining 100 meters elevation
every 1 kilometer of travel (if I kept the decimal places correct in my
calculation!)
To give another absurd example, suppose you only count variations of 50
meters or greater. You ride 10 kilometers over 25 hills that are each 49
meters high. You would count you elevation gained as 0.
Any method / device that measures elevation gained is going to give a
different result depending on how much it smooths out the smaller elevation
changes over time. Hence, it should be no suprise that the four ways you
measured elevation gained gave different results. The range of "correct"
values ranges from the difference between the starting elevation and the
finishing elevation to infinity depending on how much the method adds up
small variations in elevation over small periods of time.
BobT