Memorable Rides -- One of mine, August 19, 1991.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
One ride I won't ever forget was on that date. I had purchased my Cannondale Mt. Bike the prior May, and was really into long rides that summer, BTW, I still have that bike, it's in great shape, had it updated last summer, rode it several times last week, it's still one sweet ride.

It was a beautiful summer day of the type we often have here after a cold front sweeps through and brings in cool, dry continental polar air masses from Canada -- blue skies with puffy white cumulus clouds causing alternating sun and shadow, temps starting out upper 50's warming into the mid 70's, low humidity, fresh breeze out of the WNW. Just a perfect summer day.

I drove out to Kensington Metropark in Brighton, Michigan, which has great trails both paved and gravel. Kind of hilly, it sits on the old glacial terminal morraines, a series of large hills that sweep southwest from Michigan's thumb down into Ohio and Indiana, and are gravel piles left behind by the melting glaciers, 14,000 years ago or so they were the shoreline of Glacial Lake Maumee, which covered areas now shoreline land along the western end of Lakes Erie and St. Clair. Wildflowers galore, wildlife, etc. Nice place. Got there around 9 am, and rode all day until about 6 pm. I think I ended up doing about 45 miles, with a lot of stops for R&R. By myself. Peaceful.

But, why it's memorable, aside from the cycling? -- I had an early "Sony Walkman" AM/FM radio with cassette tape player. Rode with earphones like a total idiot, NOT advised. Nonstop news coverage on AM radio, and even most of the FM stations were going with news coverage that day. I did pop in a tape or two, one I remember listening to was 'New Jersey' by Bon Jovi, an irony considering I listened to that as I rode last night.

And, what happened that day in world history, early in the AM our time here in Eastern N. America? Why, the attempted coup d'etat against Mikhail Gorbachev by Soviet hardliners who were unhappy with Perestroika and his improvement of relations with the West. I rode around all day listening to our local all-news station's live coverage from CBS News of ongoing developments in Moscow and elsewhere. It was a tense day in a string of a few tense days for the world, as it was feared the hardliners would win out and reverse the clock on reforms, perhaps even going so far as to try to seize back Eastern Europe, which had just gained it's freedom 2 years earlier, causing another world war, this time with nukes flying.

Tense day internationally in political and military circles. Awesome day for me. Something I will never forget.

so what was the best part of that day for you, the bike ? the music ? or the politics ?

Riding first, my second favorite weather to ride in after rain, it was just a perfect day in that respect, beautiful and great place to ride. I was so into it that summer, and I look back now and wonder why I let it get away for so long. Cycling is peace, freedom, solitude, and self-improvement in one package. Music has always been important to me . I was the guy in the dorm who drove the roommate nuts because I studied best to music, loud, and he had to have silence. I still listen all of the time, even at work all day, and I definitely need it to work out. The only time I don't listen while I work out is when I am one on one with a trainer. I remember the day more clearly because of the tense geopolitical situation. I have a polisci degree so do enjoy a good bit of political theater. This is the guy who stays up until 4 am to watch Canadian election returns come in, I just have to know who won that certain riding in Nuunuvat or wherever. But, other things about that day stick, too. I had a conversation with an elderly gentleman who had caught a big carp and told me how to prepare it to make it edible. I tried his method when I caught one, um, let's just say it was still disgusting. I actually remember a lot of rides. The one where I hit a curb and had a great wipeout. One where I was 20 miles from home and a big store blew up. When I left at 4 am and got home close to midnight one Saturday. Young and stronger then. Awesome times. More ahead.

as much as i enjoy music i really don't need it when im cycling, in my car is another story but not while cycling, i do check info like cadence, heart rate and the like, in the racing years 80 % of my training was done alone so i guess i just got use to focus on performance and also enjoy the landscape and the freedom sensation you get from a road bike,

I have the Sigma bike computer with heart rate monitor and also use Map My Ride to track stats, but since I'm not doing road racing I don't do cadence.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

I have the Sigma bike computer with heart rate monitor and also use Map My Ride to track stats, but since I'm not doing road racing I don't do cadence.
The magic figure of 90rpm for cadence has helped me alot in making smoother longer rides. I dont have a cadence meter so I just try to count 1.5 revs per second... It helps into accelerating smoother without "bursts" of energy which usually cause a bit of exhaustion afterwards.

That is one of the things I am going to ask the trainer about. He trains the tri team so knows all of this stuff. I can certainly pick up the optional cadence sensor for the Sigma.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy .

That is one of the things I am going to ask the trainer about. He trains the tri team so knows all of this stuff. I can certainly pick up the optional cadence sensor for the Sigma.
Hmmm trainers might advise you the oposite. Apparently a trainer that I was in contact with earlier told me a figure of 90rpm for normal, but they do 110+ in descents and around 60 on ascents just for training. I didnt ask him for knee damage. Trainers usually have a goal, which can be anything from the country championship to who knows what...