Hi,
Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.
Thanks
Chris
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Hi,
Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.
Thanks
Chris
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:35:19 +0100, Chris_W <[email hidden]>
wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
| I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
| if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.
Try http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/customised.html
not cheap.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> http://www.webshots.com
Thousands of wonderful professional photos for your Wallpaper and
Screensaver. also 200,000 amateur pics. Four new pics each day.
On 17/6/05 23:35, in article [email hidden],
Chris_W said:Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.
Ordinary width Scarpas seem to me to be pretty narrow. I have to use wide
width sizes in these group and I've never had to do this before. Mind you
this might be because the shape of my feet may have changed, although they
do look the same!
--
Andy Howell
Birmingham, UK
To mail simply put back the dots ...
Chris_W said:Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.
Of course it all depends on what you mean by low volume. But you can
get volume adjusters or different insoles. Try one of the better shops
that offer a proper fitting service and have a wide range. Then take a
long time trying different boots and insoles. You may have to make a
special trip to find a really good range in a good shop. The best
boots are the ones that fit you rather than those recommended by
somebody else.
--
Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"
Chris_W said:Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.
It would be interesting if there was a central point of reference
detailing the lasts used by manufacturers. It would allow people to
home in on the more likely manufacturers so much quicker.
Sorry I can't help other than to say that Karrimor are, imo, high
volume.
As mentioned, use volume reducers to fine tune -
<URL:http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22volume+reducer%22+boot&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB>
If you haven't already, it might be a good opportunity to get some
Superfeet.
Daytona
I use La Sportiva, which are built on a via ferrata last (or so I'm told).
This makes for a good close fit, with little spare room in the boot or toe
box. However....if they don't suit your feet they are no good. Go to a very
good shop, expect to spend a lot of time and not a little money.
You could always consider the range of fell/trail running shoes now on offer
for summer use. OK so you get wet feet, but it is summer so that doesn't
matter once you can get your head round the idea. A pair of wool socks
underneath and you will soon wonder why you were carrying big heavy boots
around in the middle of a heatwave.
"Chris_W" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Hi,
Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.Thanks
Chris
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
I'm going to really think about the boot v approach shoe thing because
I'm sure approach shoes would be fine for walking around where I live
(mainly in Norfolk). It's just whether they'd be ok for when I go
walking in the Lake District or whether I'd need a pair of boots
specifically for the hills. I'm not going to be walking in Winter in
them and I usually go to the Lakes around March/April/May and
September/October. I'm going to try on lots of pairs of approach
shoes on and see which fit best.
The problem I had with other boots was heel slippage. I tried on a
pair of Trezeta leather boots yesterday though and they felt pretty
good but that was before I'd started to seriously consider approach
shoes.
I did have a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX boots which I wore in the
Lakes 4 weeks ago but they gave me blisters on both heels. All this
after trying on boots for about 3 hours in Field and Trek! Luckily I
had them under their fitting guarantee so even after wearing them
outside I was able to take them back and get a refund in vouchers.
I've also emailed Scarpa about the different lasts they mention on
their website to see if they do all the lasts in all their boots. I'm
still waiting for them to reply though so I'll give them a call if I
haven't heard in the next couple of days.
Thanks again for all the info.... much appreciated!
Chris
Chris_W wrote
Quoted message said:Does anyone know of brands that tend to make low volume walking boots?
I seem to be having problems finding boots that fit so I was wondering
if anyone here could give me some brands that might be suitable.
I also have awkward long, narrow, low volume feet. Three points may be
useful for you.
Go to a reputable boot fitter. Even if it means a special trip to go, it'll
be worth it. I can personally recommend George Fishers in Keswick, though
there are many others and if you say where in the country you are, I'm sure
people here can recommend one near(ish) to you. Go in the mid afternoon if
you can as your feet swell through the day and ideally midweek so they won't
be busy. And don't assume your size, get your feet measured.
Consider superfeet insoles. I think they're very good. Your reputable boot
fitter will be able to suggest other tweaks if they're needed. You may also
have to play with lacing patterns to get the best fit on your foot - again
ask your RBF though sometimes the need for tweaks in the lacing doesn't
become apparent until you've worn them on the hill, in which case search the
google group archive as we've been through this before, or just ask.
Image is nothing. Fit is everything. Obey your fit. Accept that your boot
choice is going to be restricted and that even though you've just had your
feet measured, you might go up or down a size depending on whose boots you
try. Now, to answer your question, me and my awkward feet wear Asolo boots
when it's not snowing and Scarpa Mantas when it is. I swap a pair of
superfeet between them and the Mantas also require something to lift the
heel and an odd lacing pattern (lacing up and them down to tie off on the
next to top hooks). Your feet may well differ as other factors such as
which of your toes is the longest and where your foot bends in relation to
where the boot bends have to be taken into account. You can get an idea of
what relative boot sizes are like by reading reviews in Trail magazine where
they give a rating 1 - 3 for relative size, but the only reason that might
be helpful is if you can't find anything at your RBF (they can't all stock
everything) and it'll give you an idea of other brands to try.
Good luck looking!
T.
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.