Merry Christmas and an Eggnog Recipe

Margaret Suran

Guest
Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Health and Happiness in the New Year. May all your fondest
wishes come true in 2004.

Here is a recipe for eggnog from yesterday's N. Y. Times

Eggnog, adapted from "The All New All Purpose Joy Of Cooking"

6 fresh egg yolks

l cup confectioner's sugar

2 cups good quality Bourbon

l cup cream

1 1/2 cups milk

6 fresh egg whites

Pinch of sea salt

1 nutmeg

1. In an electric mixer or by hand, whisk together egg yolks and 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar until
light, dense and mixture forms a ribbon trail when whisk is lifted. While whisking, very slowly
add l cup of bourbon.

Cover the mixture and refrigerate for one hour.

2. Whisk in remaining bourbon, then beat in cream and milk. Add 1/2 cup more milk if it is
too thick.

In another bowl, whisk egg whites with a pinch of salt, until fluffy. Slowly add remaining
confectioner's sugar while whisking; keep whisking until whites are shiny and hold firm but not
stiff peaks.

Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.

3. To serve, ladle eggnog into small cups - demitasse cups would work well - making sure to get
some foam on each. Grate a little nutmeg on top of each.

Yield: 8 servings

Cheers!

Margaret Suran wrote:
> Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Health and Happiness in the New Year. May all your fondest
> wishes come true in 2004.
>
> Here is a recipe for eggnog from yesterday's N. Y. Times
>

> Eggnog, adapted from "The All New All Purpose Joy Of Cooking"
>
> 6 fresh egg yolks
>
> l cup confectioner's sugar
>
> 2 cups good quality Bourbon
>
> l cup cream
>
> 1 1/2 cups milk
>
> 6 fresh egg whites
>
> Pinch of sea salt
>
> 1 nutmeg
>
> 1. In an electric mixer or by hand, whisk together egg yolks and 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
> until light, dense and mixture forms a ribbon trail when whisk is lifted. While whisking, very
> slowly add l cup of bourbon.
>
> Cover the mixture and refrigerate for one hour.
>
> 2. Whisk in remaining bourbon, then beat in cream and milk. Add 1/2 cup more milk if it is too
> thick.
>
> In another bowl, whisk egg whites with a pinch of salt, until fluffy. Slowly add remaining
> confectioner's sugar while whisking; keep whisking until whites are shiny and hold firm but not
> stiff peaks.
>
> Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
>
> 3. To serve, ladle eggnog into small cups - demitasse cups would work well - making sure to get
> some foam on each. Grate a little nutmeg on top of each.
>
> Yield: 8 servings
>
> Cheers!

Happy Holidays to you, too, Margaret! Wow, this is much simpler than my egg nog recipe which calls
for 18 eggs, separated (with sugar and all that other stuff)... Thanks!

Thank you, too, for the cook book! It's another great addition to my collection :)

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>>Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Health and Happiness in the New Year. May all your fondest
>>wishes come true in 2004.
>>
>>Here is a recipe for eggnog from yesterday's N. Y. Times
>>

>>Eggnog, adapted from "The All New All Purpose Joy Of Cooking"

Recipe snipped

> Happy Holidays to you, too, Margaret! Wow, this is much simpler than my egg nog recipe which calls
> for 18 eggs, separated (with sugar and all that other stuff)... Thanks!
>
> Thank you, too, for the cook book! It's another great addition to my collection :)
>
> Jill

Jill, I am glad you received the book. Enjoy it. Thank you for the picture of your new family
addition. Peaches is beautiful and will bring you much pleasure. Merry Christmas, Margaret