Mesa AZ to Superior - Globe? Arizona

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Eigerz, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Eigerz

    Eigerz Guest

    Thinking about a "there and back" from MESA to Superior - Globe via I-60? Relatively new to biking
    but have been averaging 100 to 120 miles a week. Wanted to know about the safety of this road etc.

    Been riding to Canyon Lake - BLine HWY via Bush - Looking for other nice rides in the area. Thanks
    for any input!

    Tags:

  2. >Thinking about a "there and back" from MESA to Superior - Globe via I-60? Relatively new to biking
    >but have been averaging 100 to 120 miles a week. Wanted to know about the safety of this road etc.

    This route is part of Adventure Cycling "southern tier" route. I cycled it in 2001. Here was my
    report for that day: http://www.mvermeulen.com/oneyear/Journal/march11.htm#March16

    I don't remember anything too tough (coming into Phoenix was more harried). A number of rumble
    strips, some of which force you closer to traffic lanes. Also a tunnel where can be useful to time
    things (or at least have a flashing light).

    --mev, Mike Vermeulen

  3. Dave Lehnen

    Dave Lehnen Guest

    EigerZ wrote:

    >Thinking about a "there and back" from MESA to Superior - Globe via I-60? Relatively new to biking
    >but have been averaging 100 to 120 miles a week. Wanted to know about the safety of this road etc.

    The section to Superior is not the safest road around. In some places there is very little usable
    shoulder between a single lane and a guardrail, and fairly heavy traffic of impatient fast-moving
    trucks. It's better on some of the climbs where there is a passing lane for the faster traffic. I
    prefer the section from Superior to Globe, although it does include the tunnel another poster
    mentioned, and traffic can still be fairly heavy.

    If you like the ride from Superior to Globe, you might consider the Mining Country Challenge,
    http://www.sportsfun.com/gaba/miningcountry.html, on March 15, which includes that stretch as well
    as a triangle through Winkleman. Only try it if you enjoy lots of climbing, and be prepared for
    cold weather.

    >Been riding to Canyon Lake - BLine HWY via Bush - Looking for other nice rides in the area. Thanks
    >for any input!

    Bartlett Lake Road is good, low traffic on weekdays, plenty of hills. Various starting points
    depending on how far you want to ride. Also lots of good riding in and around Fountain Hills. The
    Canyon Lake ride you're already doing is one of the best around, especially the section past
    Tortilla Flat to the end of the pavement, where traffic is very light.

    Dave Lehnen