Message is no longer available on the server

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sid, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. Sid

    Sid Guest

    When I try to read select messages only 4 or 5 days old in this newsgroup I get the message in the
    subject line. I use MS outlook express and my news server is news-server.hot.rr.com (roadrunner).
    does anyone know why this is occurring?

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Sid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > When I try to read select messages only 4 or 5 days old in
    this newsgroup I
    > get the message in the subject line. I use MS outlook
    express and my news
    > server is news-server.hot.rr.com (roadrunner). does
    anyone know why this is
    > occurring?

    News servers drop messages after a certain time, or when they reach a certain number, or a
    combination. It varies -- every ISP does it differently. There are also other reasons why messages
    may not be available -- slow servers, slow networks, etc. Propagation isn't perfect.

    Matt O.

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Sid" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > When I try to read select messages only 4 or 5 days old in this newsgroup I get the message in the
    > subject line. I use MS outlook express and my news server is news-server.hot.rr.com (roadrunner).
    > does anyone know why this is occurring?

    You need to ask your system administrator. Either their news feed is poor and they're not
    getting all the messages or their news server is poor and they're not keeping messages for more
    than a few days.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 00:16:53 GMT, "Sid" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When I try to read select messages only 4 or 5 days old in this newsgroup I get the message in the
    >subject line. I use MS outlook express and my news server is news-server.hot.rr.com (roadrunner).
    >does anyone know why this is occurring?

    It's normal - but if you change to a different news server you may get better results. Some ISPs
    clutter their news servers up with binary NGs which means they may have a more aggressive purge
    policy. I use news.cis.dfn.de which is free and carries only text groups, because my ISPs service
    sucks badly.

    HTH

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 00:16:53 GMT, "Sid" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >When I try to read select messages only 4 or 5 days old in this newsgroup I get the message in
    > >the subject line. I use MS outlook express and my news server is news-server.hot.rr.com
    > >(roadrunner). does anyone know why this is occurring?
    >
    > It's normal - but if you change to a different news server you may get better results. Some ISPs
    > clutter their news servers up with binary NGs which means they may have a more aggressive purge
    > policy. I use news.cis.dfn.de which is free and carries only text groups, because my ISPs service
    > sucks badly.
    >
    > HTH

    Some ISPs are knowledgeable enough to set retention policies differently for different groups. The
    ISP I used to work for set retentions for non alt.* to 30 days, alt.* was 14 days, and the porn
    binary groups were along the lines of 2 days.

    Barry

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 12:34:41 GMT, "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup
    "@thankyou.com> wrote:

    >Some ISPs are knowledgeable enough to set retention policies differently for different groups

    Indeed - but some just suck :)

    I'm with my ISP because until recently they were the *only* ISP who could offer me xDSL service. Now
    there's competition, but only if I take two weeks offline while they "administer" the change - which
    involves switching the billing from one company to another for precisely the same equipment in
    precisely the same exchange. I am twenty feet from the end of the cable cable provider's network,
    and they refuse to go the extra distance.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  7. Sid

    Sid Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I guess it could be a lot of things. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or
    reason to the "unavailability" of the messages. Maybe it is just some bad transmissions or
    corruption on the part of the server. One message will be unavailable, but then the next older
    message is available.

    I contacted my ISP's (roadrunner) online help chat service. They were clueless. I think I know more
    about newsgroups (which isn't much) than their technical support person. Oh well.

    Sid