Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Messenger or regular backpack for commute?

Started by Scott G. · · Last activity · 29 posts · 4,858 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
5 October 2005
Last activity
28 October 2015
Original author
Scott G.
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,858
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–29 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. hippy said:

    Yes and I agree with PiledHigher too. I used a backpack for many, many years and grew tired of replacing them due to failed zips. My Crumpler doesn't have a zip on the main pocket, holds a MASSIVE amount of gear and doesn't move around if you use the little extra strap it has.
    For quick trips with a light load you don't need the extra stabilizing strap.
    I hate what panniers do to my bikes handling and looks.

    http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=search&cat=0&page=1

    hippy

    Panniers are fine if you don't mind the looks. You do get used to the handling changes that occur with panniers. What I like about using a messenger bag over panniers is that when you get off the bike your stuff comes with you. I know that some of the new panniers are easy to remove but the fact is you still have to take them off when you leave the bike and put them back on when you return. I'd rather not deal with it.

  2. pannier/trunk bag here too

    particularly in the winter, i hate having anythign on my back cuz it makes me sweat more and when its cold that makes me clammy.

  3. I had a carbon road bike and did not want to put bolt on anything on the frame. I had a 36 mile round trip commute I was planning to do, carrying a laptop in it's case as well. I found a hiking backpack at REI that fit me well and would carrry the laptop in it's case as well. I found riding with it that it made little difference in my riding. I was no more tired from carrying the backpack and it seemed to make no difference in bike handling. I made sure the pack was secure as it had plenty of padding around the waist belt and shoulder straps and had a chest strap as well. There was no shifting of the pack no matter what position I was in. I was able to ride the drops and hoods and sit up as easily as if I had no pack on. I also had a sweaty back but I ride in the heat anyway and was only marginally hotter than if I was not wearing the pack.

    Your mileage may vary. I had a touring bike and did not like the effect on handling that having loaded panniers had on my bike. I found the pack did not affect my center of gravity nor did it have a noticeable effect on bike handling.

  4. I'm a trunk bag rider looking for panniers, back packs are uncomfortable. Frustrated with pannier designs that interfere with my topeak track mounted trunk bag I'm considering getting some small carry on bags at Kmart and mounting them to the sides of my rack

  5. Ive had my messenger bag for quite some time now and i like how it rides on my back when im commuting around town and to school. but it comes to personal preference, if you like messenger bags check out chrome messenger bags, its what i have and its pretty darn good.

  6. Messenger is good for walking but I don't think I would want it for riding a bike. It will probably move around a lot. A backpack will stay in place and keep your hands free.

  7. Either a backpack or messenger will do if you commute by bike. Personally, I prefer a backpack as it fits more snug and secure on my back. But it can get quite warm after I've cycled for about 30 minutes, even during the colder months. That's the only real downside in my opinion. If you're wearing office clothes as you're riding to work (which I don't recommend), a messenger does look a bit better.

  8. I don't like wearing a messenger bag when I'm cycling, I feel like it throws by balance off and the bag is always swinging around like a counterweight getting in my way. A small purse is okay, but anything heavier doesn't work for me. I almost always just use a backpack, one of those skinny ones that are made for cycling. It doesn't necessarily look super cute, but that's not something I really care about when I'm cycling.

  9. In general, I prefer messenger bags. I feel as though I have more control of the way that they sit on my body, and they also don't put as much strain on my back.

    When I'm cycling, though, I'd rather have a regular backpack. It stays out of the way better.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.