General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Mexican sour cream?

Started by Janet B. · · Last activity · 9 posts · 141 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
29 May 2007
Last activity
31 May 2007
Original author
Janet B.
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
141
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
    case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
    item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
    add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
    Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
    Thanks
    Janet

  2. "Janet B." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the
    refrigerated case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty."
    What is this item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses
    "heavy cream" to add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the
    consistency of sour cream. Is this the same cream? Info please about both
    items.
    Thanks
    Janet>

    It is very good, but a little goes a long way. It is lightly salted, as
    opposed to "American Style" that is not salted. It can be used for any dish
    that calls for sour cream, just use less salt. I prefer it to the "Americal
    Style."

    Harriet & critters in SoCal

  3. Janet B. said:

    In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
    case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
    item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
    add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
    Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
    Thanks
    Janet

    Mexican sour cream has a much better texture and flavor. It has
    pretty much the same ingredients as American sour cream, but costs
    4 times as much for some reason. The price is well worth it,
    though. I have both the sour and unsour (Mexican crema/creme
    friache) in my fridge right now.

    I don't understand the price or taste differences, but they're
    both significant.

    -sw

  4. Steve Wertz said:
    Janet B. said:

    In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
    case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
    item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
    add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
    Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
    Thanks
    Janet

    Mexican sour cream has a much better texture and flavor. It has
    pretty much the same ingredients as American sour cream, but costs
    4 times as much for some reason. The price is well worth it,
    though. I have both the sour and unsour (Mexican crema/creme
    friache) in my fridge right now.

    I don't understand the price or taste differences, but they're
    both significant.

    As Steve and Harriet already said, it is better than the American
    stuff. I go so far as not even really liking American sour cream, but
    I love Mexican Crema Agria.
    The problem I have is that it is so often very close to its expiration
    date in the grocery stores here in StL, and it's too expensive to
    waste.

    Quoted message said:


    -sw

    --Bryan

  5. "Food Snob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Steve Wertz said:
    Janet B. said:

    In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the
    refrigerated
    case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
    item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy
    cream" to
    add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour
    cream.
    Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
    Thanks
    Janet

    Mexican sour cream has a much better texture and flavor. It has
    pretty much the same ingredients as American sour cream, but costs
    4 times as much for some reason. The price is well worth it,
    though. I have both the sour and unsour (Mexican crema/creme
    friache) in my fridge right now.

    I don't understand the price or taste differences, but they're
    both significant.

    As Steve and Harriet already said, it is better than the American
    stuff. I go so far as not even really liking American sour cream, but
    I love Mexican Crema Agria.
    The problem I have is that it is so often very close to its expiration
    date in the grocery stores here in StL, and it's too expensive to
    waste.

    Quoted message said:


    -sw

    --Bryan


    Thanks for the good information to all. I guess that I am really going to
    have to try the Mexican sour cream. I didn't pay any attention to the
    price -- I was really shopping for cottage cheese and it was the first time
    I had shopped for it away from Costco and was stunned by the high price.
    I'll let you know the price difference here in Idaho.
    Janet

  6. On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, "Janet B." <[email hidden]>
    magnanimously proffered:

    Quoted message said:

    In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
    case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
    item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
    add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
    Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.
    Thanks
    Janet

    Except in dishes that have been prepared by someone else, I haven't
    tasted or used Mexican sour cream. But when I lived in Costa Rica, I
    used a lot of the local sour cream and it was the best commercial sour
    cream I've ever tasted. Amongst other things, I used to use it to make
    a quick sauce for steamed veges and the like. All it had in it was
    Costa Rican sour cream, some ground black pepper and the juice of a
    lemon. Beautiful.

    BTW - it was also a different colour than any other sour cream I've
    seen. Instead of being pure white, it was slightly pink. Wish I had
    some now.

    --

    una cerveza mas por favor ...

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Janet B. said:

    In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the refrigerated
    case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
    item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream" to
    add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
    Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.

    I kinda lost track of your question in my first response. The
    cream you saw was Mexican Crema. It's basically the same thing as
    Creme Friache. Creme Agria is sour cream. Sometimes the sour
    stuff isn't labeled Agria, though, so it can be tricky determining
    which is sour and which aren't.

    (NB: "Agria" is a medical term for "explosive pustular eruption".
    Remember that next time you're eating Mexican sour cream.)

    Another good product, thicker than the Mexican crema, is
    Salvadoran cream - kind of a cross between cream cheese and sour
    cream. Usually sold in plastic bags resembling breast implants.

    -sw

  8. Steve Wertz said:

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:44:10 -0600, Janet B. wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    Another good product, thicker than the Mexican crema, is
    Salvadoran cream - kind of a cross between cream cheese and sour
    cream. Usually sold in plastic bags resembling breast implants.

    -sw

    Do not eat this in public if Pete is in the room.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  9. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Janet B. said:

    In our local supermarket I ran across Mexican sour cream in the
    refrigerated
    case. On the carton it said "no spice, slightly salty." What is this
    item? I've seen Mexican cooking shows where the cook uses "heavy cream"
    to
    add to savory dishes. The heavy cream has the consistency of sour cream.
    Is this the same cream? Info please about both items.

    I kinda lost track of your question in my first response. The
    cream you saw was Mexican Crema. It's basically the same thing as
    Creme Friache. Creme Agria is sour cream. Sometimes the sour
    stuff isn't labeled Agria, though, so it can be tricky determining
    which is sour and which aren't.

    (NB: "Agria" is a medical term for "explosive pustular eruption".
    Remember that next time you're eating Mexican sour cream.)

    Another good product, thicker than the Mexican crema, is
    Salvadoran cream - kind of a cross between cream cheese and sour
    cream. Usually sold in plastic bags resembling breast implants.

    -sw

    O.k., thanks, I've made note of your comments and will look around various
    stores to see what is available.
    Janet

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.