Paul said:I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so
many choices available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.
I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they
work!
I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.
Quicker Pro <www.quickex.com>. The only mini pump I am aware of that at
least gives me a remote chance to get to 7 bar (100psi) [1] and beyond.
My recommendation is based on tests at home only as the P.F. did not
visit me since I bought the pump last autumn. Still hard work, but
possible. I put my Topeak Harpoon mini pump on the MTB where it serves
me nicely for the low pressure tyres mounted on this bike (nice pump
head, convenient handle). But on the road bike I was unable to pump up
harder than 4.5 bar (70 psi) with the Topeak though it is advertised
for 12 bar (160 psi). Mike Tyson might be able to reach that pressure.
If ever possible buy the pump at your LBS and try it on your bike.
Quoted message said:Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have a
gauge?
The Quicker has one. I find it of limited use though as it is much less
readable then the one on the floor pump [2]. With a little experience a
thumb will be of sufficient precision for a field repair.
[1] all figures are approximate. Exact scaling factor is 14.5.
[2] SKS, strongly preferred for use at home. Except for testing I would
never use a mini pump or even a frame pump when a decent floor pump
is at hand.
Günther