Mity 8 vs Mity 3 computer?

Pete Biggs

Guest
I'm familiar with the Cateye Mity 3. How does the "new improved" version compare to it? Looks very
similar but what about the details?

Are the 8's sequence of modes exactly the same? Any extra annoyances with the functions, screen or
buttons? Anything genuinely better about it?

~PB

I wrote:
> I'm familiar with the Cateye Mity 3. How does the "new improved" version compare to it? Looks very
> similar but what about the details?
>
> Are the 8's sequence of modes exactly the same? Any extra annoyances with the functions, screen or
> buttons? Anything genuinely better about it?

I've now found the manuals online so can check the features and modes, but would still be interested
in opinions on the screen and buttons. I've not actually seen it in the flesh yet, trying to decide
which model to get as a present (both are same price from different places).

thanks ~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> I'm familiar with the Cateye Mity 3. How does the "new improved" version compare to it? Looks very
> similar but what about the details?
>
> Are the 8's sequence of modes exactly the same? Any extra annoyances with the functions, screen or
> buttons? Anything genuinely better about it?

The Mity 3 used to be my favorite cyclecomputer, but the Mity 8 has replaced it in my affections.

The Mity 8 is smaller and nicer looking (also more aero!) Fits the same mount.

Functionally, they're very similar, but the Mity 8 has two independent trip mileage registers,
which can be a nice feature if you want to measure some point-to-point distance within a ride,
without losing data for the whole trip, so if they're the same price, my advice is to definitely go
for the 8.

Sheldon "Ocho" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
| Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog | and order on line: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
+-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> The Mity 3 used to be my favorite cyclecomputer, but the Mity 8 has replaced it in my affections.
>
> The Mity 8 is smaller and nicer looking (also more aero!) Fits the same mount.
>
> Functionally, they're very similar, but the Mity 8 has two independent trip mileage registers,
> which can be a nice feature if you want to measure some point-to-point distance within a ride,
> without losing data for the whole trip, so if they're the same price, my advice is to definitely
> go for the 8.

Thanks Sheldon.

Actually the Mity 3 also has two independent trip mileage registers* so I wonder if you are thinking
of a different model?

I notice from the online manual that the Mity 8 includes Odo and Max Speed in its _main_ set of
functions (instead of them being sub modes as in the Mity 3). Bit of a shame as that will add to the
number of "mode" pushes to get to back round to the more commonly used modes.

* hold mode button down on DST1 to get DST2

~PB

In <[email protected]>, "Pete Biggs"
<pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> opined:

> Actually the Mity 3 also has two independent trip mileage registers* so I wonder if you are
> thinking of a different model?

That's two registers, but they aren't independent.

You can clear DST1 and distance measured on DST2 will remain. Not vice versa though - clear DST2 and
DST1 will also be cleared. And there's absolutely no way to run one without also running the other.

Sounds like that's different now on the Mity 8.

--
[email protected] | depending, of course, | REPLACE example WITH Dave Salovesh | on your
perspective | mindspring TO EMAIL ME (After more than a decade on USENET , it's finally come

Pete Biggs wrote:

> I'm familiar with the Cateye Mity 3. How does the "new improved" version compare to it? Looks very
> similar but what about the details?
>
> Are the 8's sequence of modes exactly the same? Any extra annoyances with the functions, screen or
> buttons? Anything genuinely better about it?

Main display digits are taller.

Dave Salovesh wrote:

>> Actually the Mity 3 also has two independent trip mileage registers* so I wonder if you are
>> thinking of a different model?
>
> That's two registers, but they aren't independent.
>
> You can clear DST1 and distance measured on DST2 will remain. Not vice versa though - clear DST2
> and DST1 will also be cleared.

That's incorrect. Clear DST2 and DST1 remains unchanged.

> And there's absolutely no way to run one without also running the other.

That's true - but I suspect that's the case with the Mity 8 too.

~PB

Dave Salovesh <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> opined:
>>Actually the Mity 3 also has two independent trip mileage registers* so I wonder if you are
>>thinking of a different model?
>You can clear DST1 and distance measured on DST2 will remain. Not vice versa though - clear DST2
>and DST1 will also be cleared.

Not so. I've got a Mity 3 right here reading a greater DST1 than DST2.

I said:

> > You can clear DST1 and distance measured on DST2 will remain. Not vice versa though - clear DST2
> > and DST1 will also be cleared.

"Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> corrected:

> That's incorrect. Clear DST2 and DST1 remains unchanged.

Ah, oops. My habit is to clear 1 at the start of each ride, and to use 2 as an accumulator for a day
or week - 1 is always at zero when 2 is.

Apologies for the confusion.

> > And there's absolutely no way to run one without also running the other.
>
> That's true - but I suspect that's the case with the Mity 8 too.

Hmm. No indication otherwise in the online manuals either. That makes me wonder what the difference
really is then. Just the taller display?

--
[email protected] | depending, of course, | REPLACE example WITH Dave Salovesh | on your
perspective | mindspring TO EMAIL ME (After more than a decade on USENET , it's finally come
to this ^^^)

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Pete Biggs wrote:
> > I'm familiar with the Cateye Mity 3....Are the 8's sequence of modes ...the same? ...Anything
> > genuinely better about it?
>
> The Mity 3 used to be my favorite cyclecomputer, but the Mity 8 has replaced it in my affections.

> Functionally, they're very similar, but the Mity 8 has two independent trip mileage registers

on the mity 3 DST1 and DST2 are independant of one another but DST1 is tied to most of the other
registers (mx spd, av spd, elapsed time, not odo or dst2) is dst1 different on the mity8 or am I
flogging a red herring here?

I am tempted if the mount is the same as the mity3 as my mount is getting a litt

best wishes james

MikeYankee <[email protected]> wrote:
>If the Mity 3 is not SECURELY snapped in its mounting cradle, it will pop out and go flying off the
>front of the bike when you press on the function switches.

One answer to this is to assume that no-one will bother stealing a 15-quid cyclecomputer and
wire it down.

>After this happened to me a few times (fortunately without damaging the cyclometer)

The Mity 3 is ridiculously tough. I keep dropping mine, and it doesn't have so much as a scratch.

james wrote:
> Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Functionally, they're very similar, but the Mity 8 has two independent trip mileage registers
>
> on the mity 3 DST1 and DST2 are independant of one another but DST1 is tied to most of the other
> registers (mx spd, av spd, elapsed time, not odo or dst2) is dst1 different on the mity8 or am I
> flogging a red herring here?

DST1 & DST2 work in the same way on the Mity 8 as they do on the Mity 3, judging by the manual.

The only differences I can find with the features is that Odo and Max Speed are included in the main
instead of sub modes - a retrograde step, I think.

Buttons and overall shape are different - but the Mity 3 buttons seem ok to me and a bit of
chunkiness doesn't matter if you otherwise like the product.

Upper digits are said to be larger. I wonder if that's correct as the Mity 3's upper digits are
already huge. What about the lower digits? They're the ones that could do with being larger.

Thanks for all the response. So far, I'm inclined to get another Mity 3 (for the present). For
myself, I'll make do with my '3 then eventually get a Campag ErgoBrain (made by Cateye,
incidentally).

~PB

Dave Salovesh wrote: -snip speculation-
> Hmm. No indication otherwise in the online manuals either. That makes me wonder what the
> difference really is then. Just the taller display?

Hey, I posted that a few days ago. My salesman showed the type 8 to me with that explicit
explanation - same chip, bigger display.

A Muzi wrote:
> My salesman showed the type 8 to me with that explicit explanation - same chip, bigger display.

Are the lower digits bigger as well as the uppers?

Thanks. ~PB