Mixing cogs from Campy Cassettes

Kendall

Guest
While I have numerous cogs from a few different Campy cassettes, I have not
been able to mix and match to get different combos with any success. The
hybrid cassettes I've tried for my 20" wheel travel bike friday shift like
****. I know there is a Campy system and cog ramping etc. and I see the
reference markings etc on the cogs but it looks like Campy has made it
impossible to put something other than what they offer together for a custom
cassette. Any tricks or secrets?

TIA,

Kendall

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:03:23 -0400, "Kendall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>While I have numerous cogs from a few different Campy cassettes, I have not
>been able to mix and match to get different combos with any success. The
>hybrid cassettes I've tried for my 20" wheel travel bike friday shift like
>****. I know there is a Campy system and cog ramping etc. and I see the
>reference markings etc on the cogs but it looks like Campy has made it
>impossible to put something other than what they offer together for a custom
>cassette. Any tricks or secrets?

With my limited experience, it's best to keep the smaller cogs with
the ramps lined up properly. Then it takes some trial and error. I
wanted to make a 12/26 x 10 sp. I had a 12/25 and thought that I just
needed to take the 23-26 off a 13/26. It turned out what worked best
was taking the 19-21 and 23-26 off the 13/26.

The mixing works better if you use a Shimano HG x 9sp chain.

Kendall wrote:
> While I have numerous cogs from a few different Campy cassettes, I
> have not been able to mix and match to get different combos with any
> success. The hybrid cassettes I've tried for my 20" wheel travel
> bike friday shift like ****. I know there is a Campy system and cog
> ramping etc. and I see the reference markings etc on the cogs but it
> looks like Campy has made it impossible to put something other than
> what they offer together for a custom cassette. Any tricks or
> secrets?

I customize my Veloce 9-speed cassettes with two or three Marchisio* cogs
at the large end. Shifting is not as good as with standard cassettes but
I wouldn't call it "****". I'm grateful to have exactly the gears I want.

What ratios are you trying to achieve?

* http://anysystem.de/

~PB, UK

Kendall wrote:
> While I have numerous cogs from a few different Campy cassettes, I have not
> been able to mix and match to get different combos with any success. The
> hybrid cassettes I've tried for my 20" wheel travel bike friday shift like
> ****. I know there is a Campy system and cog ramping etc. and I see the
> reference markings etc on the cogs but it looks like Campy has made it
> impossible to put something other than what they offer together for a custom
> cassette. Any tricks or secrets?

I took the 28 from a nine speed 13-28, and put it on a 13-26, in place
of the 26. Worked a treat. It gave me a reasonable range of gears for
the day, with a bail-out gear for getting up Mt Buffalo at the end of
the day. I didn't have any significant problems with shifting.

Regards,

Suzy

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:56:39 +1000, Suzy Jackson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I took the 28 from a nine speed 13-28, and put it on a 13-26, in place
>of the 26. Worked a treat. It gave me a reasonable range of gears for
>the day, with a bail-out gear for getting up Mt Buffalo at the end of
>the day. I didn't have any significant problems with shifting.

It works fine with 9sp cassettes. On 10 sp cassettes, the largest cog
has to sit down a bit over the freehub. A 29 would have to come off a
Veloce 29.