General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Mixing Creatine with Protein Powder

Started by Rufus Shue · · Last activity · 164 posts · 5,208 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 June 2006
Last activity
17 June 2006
Original author
Rufus Shue
Posts
164
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,208
Views / 30 days
44

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 164
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a big jug of Creatine and I hate having to add it into drinks, so I
    mixed in several scoops with the protein powder I drink. That way I only
    have to deal with one jug instead of two.

    Can the creatine lose anything by doing that, or does it matter?

  2. Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    on post workout nutrition.

    -Steve
    [email hidden]

    Rufus Shue said:

    I have a big jug of Creatine and I hate having to add it into drinks, so I
    mixed in several scoops with the protein powder I drink. That way I only
    have to deal with one jug instead of two.

    Can the creatine lose anything by doing that, or does it matter?

  3. Steve said:

    Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    on post workout nutrition.

    Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable.

    Consuming the mixture *throughout* the workout may also be preferable.
    See:

    http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/a2d2b335a721dced

  4. "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    on post workout nutrition.

    Quoted message said:

    Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable.

    Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    ----
    Pete

  5. "Pete" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    on post workout nutrition.

    Quoted message said:

    Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable.

    Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    I think I'll send the $35 to John instead of Steve.

    David

  6. Cohen said:

    "Pete" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    >Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    >workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    >on post workout nutrition.

    Quoted message said:

    Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable.

    Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    I think I'll send the $35 to John instead of Steve.

    David

    I think I'll save my $35 and continue to mix whatever the hell I like
    in my blender without input from either Steve or John. Last night it
    was whey protein, egg whites, creatine, nonfat milk, and... a Twix bar.

    --
    Curt
    http://curtjames.com/

  7. If you can tell me the difference between glucose, sucroase, HFCS55,
    and HFCS42 without looking it up, and name at least 1 natural source of
    each, then I'll agree with you

    Pete said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    on post workout nutrition.

    Quoted message said:

    Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable.

    Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    ----
    Pete

  8. "Steve" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    If you can tell me the difference between glucose, sucroase, HFCS55,
    and HFCS42 without looking it up, and name at least 1 natural source of
    each, then I'll agree with you

    I cant. Never said i could either.
    And i wont even bother to look it up.

    I have the tendency to look up things i can apply.
    So far, i have been doing well with a combination of lactose and fructose.
    At this moment, i see no reason to really dig deep inside this complex
    matter.

    Maybe in the near future, but not now.

    ----
    Pete

  9. Steve said:


    Pete said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    >Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    >workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    >on post workout nutrition.

    Quoted message said:

    Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable.

    Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    If you can tell me the difference between glucose, sucroase, HFCS55,
    and HFCS42 without looking it up, and name at least 1 natural source of
    each, then I'll agree with you

    You don't know the difference? How did you get to be a certified
    nutritionist?

    I assume you realize that the human body pretty much runs on glucose.
    Natural sources? Well, the one best known would be corn syrup. Good
    ol' Karo, Steve. And sucrose? That's table sugar, Steve. It's a
    disaccharide consisting of a 50/50 glucose-fructose mix, joined by a
    glycosidic bond. But don't worry, Steve, because sucrase in the gut
    does a handy job of breaking it down into its individual
    monosaccharides. HFCS stands for "high fructose corn syrup" which
    comes from -- yeah, you guessed it, Steve -- corn! But the essentially
    pure glucose in corn syrup doesn't taste nearly as sweet as good ol'
    table sugar, so the producers toss in an additional enzyme to convert
    part of the glucose to fructose. That will get them HFCS42, which is
    42% fructose. Another step, that involves stripping off the fructose,
    will get them the super-sweet HFCS90 (that's 90% fructose) which is
    used in instant drink mixes, but I don't recommend it for the purposes
    discussed here. Then adding that back into the HFCS42 can produce
    HFCS55, 55% fructose, which is used in good old soda pop, including
    CocaCola.

    There, Steve, I hope I have supplemented your understanding of simple
    carbohydrates in areas where your certified nutritionist education
    appears to have been lacking. Of course, if you had actually reviewed
    my postings in this newsgroup, like you claim you did, you would have
    seen that I previously discussed this matter not more than a few months
    ago, which is why I didn't need to look it up.

    HTH

  10. "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Steve said:
    Pete said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    >>Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    >>workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read
    >>up
    >>on post workout nutrition.

    > Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    > insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are
    > preferable.

    Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    If you can tell me the difference between glucose, sucroase, HFCS55,
    and HFCS42 without looking it up, and name at least 1 natural source of
    each, then I'll agree with you

    You don't know the difference? How did you get to be a certified
    nutritionist?

    Sent $35 to some website and got a ready-for-framing certificate?

    David

  11. "David Cohen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "JMW" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Steve said:

    Pete wrote:
    > "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:
    >
    > >>Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them
    > >>post
    > >>workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should
    > >>read up
    > >>on post workout nutrition.
    >
    > > Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the
    > > requisite
    > > insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are
    > > preferable.
    >
    > Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    If you can tell me the difference between glucose, sucroase, HFCS55,
    and HFCS42 without looking it up, and name at least 1 natural source
    of
    each, then I'll agree with you

    You don't know the difference? How did you get to be a certified
    nutritionist?

    Sent $35 to some website and got a ready-for-framing certificate?

    Being a certified nutritionist seems a lot like being a certified
    personal trainer, doesn't it? I wish that wasn't the case but it seems
    that experience and common sense are more valuable than anything they
    teach in either certification process. (I'm in the process of re-upping
    my NSCA CPT - what they will allow for continuing education credits is
    laughable - I need 4 credits, but I can take .5 credits per year for
    "personal enrichment" activities which includes browsing fitness-related
    web sites, reading fitness-related materials, and, God forbid,
    participating in mfw.)

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  12. UH OH, someone's been readin wikipedia again. Dude that comment was for
    Curt. Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged,
    washed, bleached, washed again, crystalized (think undigestable), then
    dryed. It's really health stuff, no wonder I forgot to advise using it.
    Also if you honestly think corn syrup, and even HFCS are natural, then
    I have news for you: Crack is natural too! But hey it's cool with me
    if you want to mix your creatine and protein with lots of table sugar
    and corn syrup. I might even fly first class to your funeral.

    So regardless of you reading a couple of silly articles you used google
    to find, you still haven't answered my question.

    JMW said:
    Steve said:


    Pete said:

    "JMW" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    >>Actually, mixing protein, creatine, and fructose and taking them post
    >>workout is probably the best way to utilze creatine. You should read up
    >>on post workout nutrition.

    > Fructose alone is not an optimal method for obtaining the requisite
    > insulin response. Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable.

    Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve?

    If you can tell me the difference between glucose, sucroase, HFCS55,
    and HFCS42 without looking it up, and name at least 1 natural source of
    each, then I'll agree with you

    You don't know the difference? How did you get to be a certified
    nutritionist?

    I assume you realize that the human body pretty much runs on glucose.
    Natural sources? Well, the one best known would be corn syrup. Good
    ol' Karo, Steve. And sucrose? That's table sugar, Steve. It's a
    disaccharide consisting of a 50/50 glucose-fructose mix, joined by a
    glycosidic bond. But don't worry, Steve, because sucrase in the gut
    does a handy job of breaking it down into its individual
    monosaccharides. HFCS stands for "high fructose corn syrup" which
    comes from -- yeah, you guessed it, Steve -- corn! But the essentially
    pure glucose in corn syrup doesn't taste nearly as sweet as good ol'
    table sugar, so the producers toss in an additional enzyme to convert
    part of the glucose to fructose. That will get them HFCS42, which is
    42% fructose. Another step, that involves stripping off the fructose,
    will get them the super-sweet HFCS90 (that's 90% fructose) which is
    used in instant drink mixes, but I don't recommend it for the purposes
    discussed here. Then adding that back into the HFCS42 can produce
    HFCS55, 55% fructose, which is used in good old soda pop, including
    CocaCola.

    There, Steve, I hope I have supplemented your understanding of simple
    carbohydrates in areas where your certified nutritionist education
    appears to have been lacking. Of course, if you had actually reviewed
    my postings in this newsgroup, like you claim you did, you would have
    seen that I previously discussed this matter not more than a few months
    ago, which is why I didn't need to look it up.

    HTH

  13. "Steve" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    UH OH, someone's been readin wikipedia again. Dude that comment was for
    Curt. Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged,
    washed, bleached, washed again, crystalized (think undigestable),

    Table sugar is undigestible?

    Diabetics of the world, rejoice! The spamming MLM crook moron has just made
    your dietary choices MUCH tastier.

    David

  14. "Steve" <[email hidden]> schreef:

    Quoted message said:

    UH OH, someone's been readin wikipedia again. Dude that comment was for
    Curt.

    Then why did you reply to post of John instead of Curt?

    I believe you did sommething similair to me a few days ago.

    Quoted message said:

    Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged,
    washed, bleached, washed again, crystalized (think undigestable), then
    dryed. It's really health stuff, no wonder I forgot to advise using it.
    Also if you honestly think corn syrup, and even HFCS are natural, then
    I have news for you: Crack is natural too!

    I dont think that nutrition should be a matter of natural opr unnatural. It
    should be about optimum results/health.
    Everything we eat/drink is processed up to a point. Hell, drinking fruit
    juice is "unnatural."

    Eating Oranges in most countries should be considered unnatural.

    Eating sea- fish when you live 100 miles from the coast is unnatural.

    ----
    Pete

  15. Rufus Shue said:

    I have a big jug of Creatine and I hate having to add it into drinks, so
    I mixed in several scoops with the protein powder I drink. That way I
    only have to deal with one jug instead of two.

    Everyone so far has interpreted this question as being about taking
    protein and creatine together, but it seems to me that it's not - Rufus is
    already doing that, he just wants to pre-mix the powders in one jar to
    save some time over mixing them every time he makes a drink. Is that
    right?

    Quoted message said:

    Can the creatine lose anything by doing that, or does it matter?

    If the powder's dry, it should certainly be fine. My only concern would be
    that the creatine and protein powder might not mix evenly; the creatine
    particles are a lot finer, so over time, they'll sink to the bottom (or
    rise to the top, one of the two) rather than staying mixed in. Giving the
    jar a good stir or tumble every time should prevent that.

    tom

    --
    i'm prepared to do anything as long as someone else works out how to do
    it and gives me simple instructions... -- Sean

  16. "Tom Anderson" <> Everyone so far has interpreted this question as being
    about taking

    Quoted message said:

    protein and creatine together, but it seems to me that it's not - Rufus is


    already doing that, he just wants to pre-mix the powders in one jar to save
    some time over mixing them every time he makes a drink. Is that right?>

    You apparently are the only person here that has passed reading
    comprehension!!! Yes. I just wanted to know if I can toss a few scoops of
    creatine into the protein powder.

    Thanks!

  17. Steve said:

    UH OH, someone's been readin wikipedia again. Dude that comment was for
    Curt. Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged,
    washed, bleached, washed again, crystalized (think undigestable), then
    dryed. It's really health stuff, no wonder I forgot to advise using it.
    Also if you honestly think corn syrup, and even HFCS are natural, then
    I have news for you: Crack is natural too! But hey it's cool with me
    if you want to mix your creatine and protein with lots of table sugar
    and corn syrup. I might even fly first class to your funeral.

    So regardless of you reading a couple of silly articles you used google
    to find, you still haven't answered my question.

    Golly, Steve, I really don't know why I would need Google and
    Wikipedia to look this stuff up, since I been through that same
    discussion with every ignoramus like you who comes into this newsgroup
    discussing "natural" sugars. Go check the "Warrior Diet" thread from
    just two weeks ago.

    Oh, wait ... you've only been reading this newgroup for a couple of
    days. You came here and thought you would be an instant guru. Sorry
    it didn't work out the way you planned.

  18. JMW said:
    Steve said:

    UH OH, someone's been readin wikipedia again. Dude that comment was for
    Curt. Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged,
    washed, bleached, washed again, crystalized (think undigestable), then
    dryed. It's really health stuff, no wonder I forgot to advise using it.
    Also if you honestly think corn syrup, and even HFCS are natural, then
    I have news for you: Crack is natural too! But hey it's cool with me
    if you want to mix your creatine and protein with lots of table sugar
    and corn syrup. I might even fly first class to your funeral.

    So regardless of you reading a couple of silly articles you used google
    to find, you still haven't answered my question.

    Golly, Steve, I really don't know why I would need Google and
    Wikipedia to look this stuff up, since I been through that same
    discussion with every ignoramus like you who comes into this newsgroup
    discussing "natural" sugars. Go check the "Warrior Diet" thread from
    just two weeks ago.

    Oh, wait ... you've only been reading this newgroup for a couple of
    days. You came here and thought you would be an instant guru. Sorry
    it didn't work out the way you planned.

    There is really only room for one "guru" at MFW, and Emmy fights for
    the 'territory' with obsessive vigour, and sees any newcomer as a real
    threat!

    Guru?

    BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... etc...

    Have a great weekend you despotic little guru you - you know I intend
    to! ;o)

    TFIF!;

  19. On 8 Jun 2006 23:55:42 -0700, "Steve" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    UH OH, someone's been readin wikipedia again. Dude that comment was for
    Curt. Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged,
    washed, bleached, washed again, crystalized (think undigestable), then
    dryed. It's really health stuff, no wonder I forgot to advise using it.
    Also if you honestly think corn syrup, and even HFCS are natural, then
    I have news for you: Crack is natural too! But hey it's cool with me
    if you want to mix your creatine and protein with lots of table sugar
    and corn syrup. I might even fly first class to your funeral.

    You're an idiot.

    I'm almost certain this is not the sort of publicity you were hoping
    for your site.

    Ellis

  20. Steve said:

    UH OH, someone's been readin wikipedia again.

    I love Wiki almost as much as Google. Urban Dictionary's another fan
    fav.

    Quoted message said:

    Dude that comment was for Curt.

    Dude, I hate the word dude. But, yeah, thanks for using me in your war
    against all things JDW (whatever).

    Quoted message said:

    Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged,
    washed, bleached, washed again, crystalized (think undigestable), then
    dryed. It's really health stuff, no wonder I forgot to advise using it.
    Also if you honestly think corn syrup, and even HFCS are natural, then
    I have news for you: Crack is natural too! But hey it's cool with me
    if you want to mix your creatine and protein with lots of table sugar
    and corn syrup. I might even fly first class to your funeral.

    And there are lots of ways to die. I suspect that table sugar is low
    on most lists of potential life enders.

    Quoted message said:

    So regardless of you reading a couple of silly articles you used
    google to find<snip>

    Hey! I resemble that remark. ;o)

    --
    Curt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.