Mixing old SPD cleats with new pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Risto Varanka, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. I'm about to buy a new bike with a new set of SPD pedals. I also have an old set of pedals and
    shoes, with about 8000 km on them. They work ok, only the pedal-cleat attachment sometimes feels a
    bit loose, though it is solid on closer inspection.

    Would it make sense to use the old cleats with the new pedals? Or should I get new cleats (and shoes
    as I wouldn't bother changing the cleats on my shoes for every ride)?

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm about to buy a new bike with a new set of SPD pedals. I also have an old set of pedals and
    >shoes, with about 8000 km on them. They work ok, only the pedal-cleat attachment sometimes feels a
    >bit loose, though it is solid on closer inspection.
    >
    >Would it make sense to use the old cleats with the new pedals? Or should I get new cleats (and
    >shoes as I wouldn't bother changing the cleats on my shoes for every ride)?

    If you don't pull out, it doesn't matter. If you do, then just put a new set of SPD cleats on your
    old shoes and use them with both your SPD pedals. I don't understand your comment about changing the
    cleats for every ride.

  3. Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote:
    : In article <[email protected]>,
    : <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>I'm about to buy a new bike with a new set of SPD pedals. I also have an old set of pedals and
    :>shoes, with about 8000 km on them. They work ok, only the pedal-cleat attachment sometimes feels a
    :>bit loose, though it is solid on closer inspection.
    :>
    :>Would it make sense to use the old cleats with the new pedals? Or should I get new cleats (and
    :>shoes as I wouldn't bother changing the cleats on my shoes for every ride)?

    : If you don't pull out, it doesn't matter. If you do, then just put a new set of SPD cleats on your
    : old shoes and use them with both your SPD pedals. I don't understand your comment about changing
    : the cleats for every ride.

    AFAIK one shouldn't use old chain with new cassette or vice versa. I was wondering if it's the same
    with cleats and pedals. Thanks for the info.

  4. [email protected] wrote:

    > AFAIK one shouldn't use old chain with new cassette or vice versa. I was wondering if it's the
    > same with cleats and pedals. Thanks for the info.

    I doubt there's any reason not to use old cleats with new pedals. Cleats wear down, some more than
    others, but pedals generally don't. Old worn cleats might have more play than new ones, but I doubt
    they can hurt the pedals.

    -as