Mixing old SPD cleats with new pedals

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Risto Varanka

I'm about to buy a new bike with a new set of SPD pedals. I also have an old set of pedals and
shoes, with about 8000 km on them. They work ok, only the pedal-cleat attachment sometimes feels a
bit loose, though it is solid on closer inspection.

Would it make sense to use the old cleats with the new pedals? Or should I get new cleats (and shoes
as I wouldn't bother changing the cleats on my shoes for every ride)?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

In article <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm about to buy a new bike with a new set of SPD pedals. I also have an old set of pedals and
>shoes, with about 8000 km on them. They work ok, only the pedal-cleat attachment sometimes feels a
>bit loose, though it is solid on closer inspection.
>
>Would it make sense to use the old cleats with the new pedals? Or should I get new cleats (and
>shoes as I wouldn't bother changing the cleats on my shoes for every ride)?

If you don't pull out, it doesn't matter. If you do, then just put a new set of SPD cleats on your
old shoes and use them with both your SPD pedals. I don't understand your comment about changing the
cleats for every ride.

Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote:
: In article <[email protected]>,
: <[email protected]> wrote:
:>I'm about to buy a new bike with a new set of SPD pedals. I also have an old set of pedals and
:>shoes, with about 8000 km on them. They work ok, only the pedal-cleat attachment sometimes feels a
:>bit loose, though it is solid on closer inspection.
:>
:>Would it make sense to use the old cleats with the new pedals? Or should I get new cleats (and
:>shoes as I wouldn't bother changing the cleats on my shoes for every ride)?

: If you don't pull out, it doesn't matter. If you do, then just put a new set of SPD cleats on your
: old shoes and use them with both your SPD pedals. I don't understand your comment about changing
: the cleats for every ride.

AFAIK one shouldn't use old chain with new cassette or vice versa. I was wondering if it's the same
with cleats and pedals. Thanks for the info.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

[email protected] wrote:

> AFAIK one shouldn't use old chain with new cassette or vice versa. I was wondering if it's the
> same with cleats and pedals. Thanks for the info.

I doubt there's any reason not to use old cleats with new pedals. Cleats wear down, some more than
others, but pedals generally don't. Old worn cleats might have more play than new ones, but I doubt
they can hurt the pedals.

-as

Status
Not open for further replies.