rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Moab type thing in Australia anyone?

Started by mawesome · · Last activity · 21 posts · 427 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
13 March 2006
Last activity
14 March 2006
Original author
mawesome
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
427
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey guys,
    I was looking at some of the Moab stuff and it looks pretty cool. Any
    Australian unicyclists know of any good places for MUni? I think it'd
    be awesome to have an annual Muni event in Australia, but not sure of
    any good places to have it. If not MUni then we should definitey have
    some sort of big annual uni meet.

    --
    mawesome

    when riding just remember one thing... concrete is your friend
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  2. judging by the Lord of the Rings movies, seems like New Zealand would be
    a sweet place to ride. and I betcha Australia, being close, is similar
    to New Zealand.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

    mikael
    atkinson...............................................................................jonny
    peacock is my main man.
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  3. If you go far enough out of civilization there's a [censored] load of grassy
    hills, forrest and bushland. It's picking one such place and getting
    the right directions that's the hard part.

    --
    mawesome

    when riding just remember one thing... concrete is your friend
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  4. Where abouts in victoria are you?
    you should check out the chiltern muni weekend, although im not sure
    when it is this year. there is stuff on these forums about it though.
    otherwise go to www.municycle.com.au

    do you do any street or trials? we should go for a ride some time.

    Cheers,

    Max

    --
    max_pfeifer

    what do you give to the man who has everything? ...Nothing!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  5. I'm Keven, I saw you at the Melbourne meet about 2 months ago (I had
    the green bc wheel) I was thinking some sort of not so big mountain
    ranges, like the Cathedral ranges. I do some street and trials stuff
    but not a lot. I'll probably be going to the city this sunday if you
    wanna come.

    --
    mawesome

    when riding just remember one thing... concrete is your friend
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  6. A few years ago Andrew carter threw the Australian Mountain Unicycle
    weekend In Brisbane which was a most triumphant long weekend of Muni on
    the Mt Cootha DH trails. I had such a good time that if he, or anyone
    else who is lucky enough to live near kickass trails, wants to organise
    such an event, i would make any effort to get there!
    mark

    --
    napalm

    you wont do it...your SCARED!
    "We are all racing towards death. No matter how many great,
    intellectual conclusionswe draw during our lives, we know they are only
    man made, like God"
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/LAVISs-stuff
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    napalm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3952
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  7. I'm looking into some mountain ranges in rural victoria but if anyone
    could point me in the direction of an awesome mountain track that'd be
    a big help.

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  8. What do people think of riding the Great Ocean road? I was thinking
    either Great ocean road (near apollo bay) or the Dandenong ranges.
    Anyone have anything good/bad to say about riding either of these?

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  9. I am in the process of organising the Muniuni Weekend at Chiltern and in
    the Chiltern National Park.

    It is not exactly like Moab, but I want it to be a Muni weekend
    foremost.

    This year I am planning for 20th and 21st May. There are some good
    rides around here. I plan for basic trial riding, but the terrain can
    suit what you want.

    I will endeavour to keep potential riders updated.

    Mal

    www.municycle.com.au

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  10. Sounds cool, I'll most likely be there. Is it a "get from point a to
    point b" type thing or "get here and just uni 'round for a while" type
    thing? And how much would it cost?

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  11. The forest has so many tracks from roads to single tracks. Last year we
    went in circles, so ended up where we started. Pipeline is a challenge
    as it is extremely steep. Some riders did it, it still scares me!

    Cost: you have to be in the AUS for insurtances and I charge an extra
    $10.00for an early entry and $20.00 for on the day entry. That is for
    all weekend.

    Mal

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  12. How would one go about becoming a member of AUS?

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  13. Last year at my event you could join on the day and I posted the money
    and the information off to AUS. It was about $20.00 per year. The
    executive have changed since then, so the fees etc should be same for
    this year. Their web page seems to have disappeared but I am waiting
    for its return for more information. They have given me the OK so far
    to run the event.

    I need participants to be in the AUS for insurance reasons. Once
    again....for insurance, I need the insurance to use the local council
    land and the National Park.

    Also I noticed that you are 14. Anyone under 18 will need a supervising
    adult and parents permission to be involved. I ride every other day as
    an individual, but as soon as I call it an event things change
    regarding insurance etc. I hope you understand.

    Mal

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  14. I'd love to ride inland Australia. An Alice Springs MuniFest would be
    fantastic, I reckon! Similar to Moab in parts, I'd image...not that
    I've ever been to Alice Springs. I'd like to though.

    The thing that I find so inviting about Moab is how open it is and how
    you can choose your own lines down hills...in fact, you can choose your
    hills. I'll make it there one day. I'm really keen to meet all the
    muni riders from the forums here, either at Moab or around Santa
    Barbara.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter

    ...well that's what i think anyway.
    *'www.unicycletips.com' (http://www.unicycletips.com) | 'my photos
    and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) | '\\"dancing
    about architecture\\"'
    (http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  15. onebyone said:


    Also I noticed that you are 14. Anyone under 18 will need a supervising
    adult and parents permission to be involved. I ride every other day as
    an individual, but as soon as I call it an event things change
    regarding insurance etc. I hope you understand.

    Mal

    So i have to get my mum to sign a thing saying that i go. Will i have
    to bring my own adult or will you supply one on the day?

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  16. andrew_carter said:

    I'll make it there one day. I'm really keen to meet all the muni riders
    from the forums here, either at Moab or around Santa Barbara.

    I'll tell you what, Andrew. If you pay for the plane ticket over here,
    I'll pay for your campsite. 😄

    --
    paco

    Every time I see this thread I wonder what happened to Paco's back.
    -John Childs

    768
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  17. andrew_carter said:

    The thing that I find so inviting about Moab is how open it is and how
    you can choose your own lines down hills...in fact, you can choose your
    hills.

    Not quite, some areas have macro-biotic soil and are off-limits (one
    foot-print can destroy hundreds of years of growth that is barely
    visible) - if the authorities catch you, you could be in deep doo-doo,
    besides, it's not a smart thing to do.
    Sorry to burst your bubble.:o
    Of course there is enough -rock- that there isn't any real problem,
    which is one of the reasons it's not smart - peaceful co-existence is a
    good thing.😎

    --
    brian.slater

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
    to confuse me, that will confuse me.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  18. The answer is yep and nope. You would need your Mum to sign and no I
    will not be supplying a supervising adult on the day. Sorry but this is
    an organised event, I need the insurance and thems are the rules.

    Mal

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  19. Damn, in that case i might not be able to go for about 3 years. I'll try
    my best but I'm not sure if i'll be able to bring an adult. Thanks
    anyway, definitely going when I'm 18 though.

    Keven

    --
    mawesome

    My spleen hurts
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

  20. Just to follow up, I hope you appreciate my position. I ride in the
    national park every other day and paddle on the Murray River. Both
    involve risk and there is no insurance cover to worry about, but as
    soon as I call it an event I have to have permission and that involves
    a 10 million insurance cover. My local canoe club just ran their annual
    race, so they had similar rules and I had to sign a waiver and pay an
    insurance premium to be in the race.

    Sounds crazy. You will find the organisers of MOAB would be in the same
    position.

    When I find out who is coming, maybe you might be able to find someone
    who is bringing their kids up from Melb (or down or whatever) who will
    be responsible for you. So please keep in touch if you really want to
    be involved.

    Last year was a great little event.

    Mal

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/47707

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.