General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Modern waterproofs

Started by John Myers · · Last activity · 63 posts · 1,813 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 September 2004
Last activity
29 September 2004
Original author
John Myers
Posts
63
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,813
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–63 of 63
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tony Buckley said:

    John Myers wrote to the echoing void of Steve O's killfile...

    ...and the wind blew tumbleweeds across the dusty plains of cyberspace as he
    waited for answer.

    ???wot???
    he didn't did he? ROTFLMAO!!

    Quoted message said:

    Girls, girls; go for a walk! You've been playing indoors too much and it's
    making you tetchy and irritable.

    Soz all, soz Tone (you're just supa chilled after returning from your
    hols!)

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  2. John Myers wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Your right ill shut up

    and SteveO wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Soz all, soz Tone

    That's better. Now you can have Wayfarer's fruit dumplings and
    butterscotch, or Outdoor Cuisine's Caribbean banana and custard. You don't
    have to add water to the first one so that might be easier. Try not to set
    light to your tents while you're cooking.

    Now I'm going to go home, so no pulling each other's guyropes out while I'm
    not looking...

    T.
    Late working on Friday, who needs it? Well, I don't mind in truth, it was
    for one of our public science lectures which turned out to be damn good fun,
    even - and possibly because - the audience got sprayed with male
    pheremones...

  3. Some great discussions going on here. Having been around long enough to
    experience the transition from plastic macs, rugby shirts, corduroy,
    etc. to fleece, shells, goretex, paramo, etc. I can say that the modern
    fabrics are a vast improvement with the exception of merino wool base
    layers - which beats all modern thermals. As I get older I like to be
    more comfortable, but there is a perverse pleasure in getting a good
    soaking and freezing and coming in to a hot bath and a fire. As long as
    you don't endanger your health and safety then the wilderness can be a
    hardening experience that makes you appreciate life's comforts more
    intensely.

    I now wear my Paramo for adventures like commuting and waiting at
    freezing and wet bus stops in the winter up here in Newcastle (much
    warmer than a goretex), also because I can wear less underneath if I
    want - for when you step into an over-heated shop, office, pub or
    whatever. Haven't really given it a real try out in the hills yet.

    My pile and pertex I find to be my main "serious" garb for winter
    walking because it tends not to matter that I only have a thermal
    underneath if I need to take it off, but they're not so practical around
    town. They're also good for winter cycling because the Montane ones vent
    so well.

    Summer, and milder weather I wear a thermal and a Rohan smock only if
    I'm very active, and carry a water-proof shell for rain in my pack.

    You can never be 100% comfortable; just more comfortable. What works for
    one metabolism/work rate doesn't for another. If possible you can always
    vent properly or use your hat to regulate temperature. Common sense and
    realistic expectations are needed.

    David

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.