moms recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Misnomer, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    My mom gave me this recipe when I asked for a book of her
    recipes, and especially this one. I tried making it and
    seemed to need baking much longer than the 12 minutes she
    said, as it was still gooey at 12 minutes, and at 30 minutes
    they were dry on the outside but moist in the middle.

    Coated Ginger Creams

    1 cup shortening / butter / margarine
    1/2 cup sugar 1 tsp ginger or 1/8 cup cut up ginger peel (I
    used the ginger) 1 tsp cinnamon 2 egg yolks 1 cup molasses
    2/2 cup milk 3 1/2 cups cake flour 2 tsp soda
    3/2 tsp salt 1 cup raisins (I left these out and think that
    mom did too.)
    4/2 c. diced marachino cherries
    5/2 c fine chopped walnuts

    cream shortening, sugar, egg yolks, add molasses and milk
    and spices. Sift dry ingredients, flour salt soda . Add a
    little flour to the fruit and nuts. Blend in the dry
    ingredients to the batter and add fruit and nuts.

    Spread 1/2 inch thick in well greased pan. Bake for 12
    minutes @ 350. cut in squares and dip into melted semi sweet
    chocolate.

    *****
    Maybe my pan was too big. I used the oblong one maybe I
    should have used 2 square ones.

    Moms were moist and delicious - mine dryish but still
    tastey.

    Anyone have a an idea how to mae this better?

    take care Liz

    Tags:

    news:[email protected]...

    2
    > square ones.
    >
    > Moms were moist and delicious - mine dryish but
    > still tastey.
    >
    > Anyone have a an idea how to mae this better?

    Make 'em at my house.

    Jack Host-O-Rama

  3. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    LOL, and invite! cool.... but wait ... try them yourself,
    see if it takes more than 12 minutes to bake those.

    take care Liz