More bike security discussion

naked_draughtsman

Guest
Just got back from a weekend away. Bike was locked up at the station,
in the CCTV covered area of the bike rack, both wheels removed and
locked through the frame and some git nicked the front QR skewer which
resulted in a 45 minute walk home.

Apart from removing every last removeable part (leaving 2 wheels and a
bare frame with a bag full of bits) anyone have any idea how to stop
the thieving b******s nicking anything and everything regardless of its
resale value?

A similar thing happened about 6 months ago where someone made off with
the caliper for the front disc brake. Bike isn't particularly good
(Halfords special with **** bits replaced) and doesn't look
particularly new and sparkly as it hardly ever gets a clean.

pete

Bogus Draughtsman wrote:
> Just got back from a weekend away. Bike was locked up at the station,
> in the CCTV covered area of the bike rack, both wheels removed and
> locked through the frame and some git nicked the front QR skewer which
> resulted in a 45 minute walk home.

"Don't take your bike apart to lock it, it is really bogus." -
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

> Apart from removing every last removeable part (leaving 2 wheels and a
> bare frame with a bag full of bits) anyone have any idea how to stop
> the thieving b******s nicking anything and everything regardless of
> its resale value?

Not really :-( "Security" wheel & seat skewers and ugly bike & parts
may help a bit.

The folding bike fans will be along shortly ;-)

~PB

Jon_H wrote:
> you might want something like this.

They look quite good. Is the point that the nuts can't be undone
whatsoever (and the wheel removed) without the key?

Do they stand up to being twisted off with a pair of pliers? (My trick
for undoing sheared nuts or bolts!)

pete

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Bogus Draughtsman wrote:
> > Just got back from a weekend away. Bike was locked up at the station,
> > in the CCTV covered area of the bike rack, both wheels removed and
> > locked through the frame and some git nicked the front QR skewer which
> > resulted in a 45 minute walk home.

> "Don't take your bike apart to lock it, it is really bogus." -
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
>
> > Apart from removing every last removeable part (leaving 2 wheels and a
> > bare frame with a bag full of bits) anyone have any idea how to stop
> > the thieving b******s nicking anything and everything regardless of
> > its resale value?

> Not really :-( "Security" wheel & seat skewers and ugly bike & parts
> may help a bit.
>
> The folding bike fans will be along shortly ;-)
>
> ~PB

you might want something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCKING-WHEEL-SKEWERS-ROAD-BIKE-MTB-ATB-NEW_W0QQitemZ7
223148544QQcategoryZ58089QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

cheers
Jon_H

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jon_H wrote:
> > you might want something like this.

> They look quite good. Is the point that the nuts can't be undone
> whatsoever (and the wheel removed) without the key?
>
> Do they stand up to being twisted off with a pair of pliers? (My trick
> for undoing sheared nuts or bolts!)
>
> pete

Not sure how to answer that as I was browsing through ebay and stumbled
across them and remembered reading your post earlier.

Ask the seller a question, that's about all the help I can give.

cheers
Jon_H

naked_draughtsman wrote:
> Jon_H wrote:
>> you might want something like this.

> They look quite good. Is the point that the nuts can't be undone
> whatsoever (and the wheel removed) without the key?

Yes. The same product is sold under the Tranz X brand name (sometimes
spelled Trans X) by other sellers for about a tenner inclusive. One
version takes a pentagon key, another version an ordinary allen key.

> Do they stand up to being twisted off with a pair of pliers? (My trick
> for undoing sheared nuts or bolts!)

I haven't tried it on mine to find out. But a determined thief would have
a key anyway -- the same key fits all of them. It's just to disuade
opportunists, really.

If leaving a bike that was at all desirable outside a station for several
hours, I would lock the wheels with a D-lock and/or chain and expect half
the components to be missing when I returned. I think the only answer (if
not able to take bike with you) is to use such a **** bike in such a ****
state that either no one would be interested in or one that's so cheap to
replace that you wouldn't be too bothered. This is what most people do in
London, judging from the quality of the bikes I see locked up.

~PB

I don't like skewers - because to me they should be called QS (Quick
Steal) and not QR. Yes my best bike has skewers, but I carry spare
skewers both front and rear in my tool bag, which I always remove on
say going into a cafe. To be best of my knowledge there is no way
around becoming again mobile without skewers.

My hack bike, shopping bike and various other steeds all have nuts on
the wheels and it is those I take into town or whenever I have to
leave the bike for some time.

Remember the edict of thieves - 'What can be stolen - must be stolen'.

Depressing isn't it!

naked_draughtsman wrote:

> Jon_H wrote:
>
>>you might want something like this.

> They look quite good. Is the point that the nuts can't be undone
> whatsoever (and the wheel removed) without the key?
>
> Do they stand up to being twisted off with a pair of pliers? (My trick
> for undoing sheared nuts or bolts!)

Mole grips on the knurled end will remove them. They're a mild
deterrent, not an answer. The answer is a folding bike or a bike locker
at the station.