UK and Europe · Public discussion

More campag 7/8 spd questions

Started by Paul Dytham · · Last activity · 6 posts · 519 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 November 2003
Last activity
2 November 2003
Original author
Paul Dytham
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
519
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was informed on here a week or so ago that campag never did 7 spd ergo shifters, but i should go
    for 8 spd as the spacing was the same. Could those in the know confirm that a pair of 8 spd Avanti
    levers will be spaced correctly for my fairly ancient 7spd campag cassette

    Cheers

    Paul

  2. Paul Dytham said:

    I was informed on here a week or so ago that campag never did 7 spd ergo shifters, but i should go
    for 8 spd as the spacing was the same. Could those in the know confirm that a pair of 8 spd Avanti
    levers will be spaced correctly for my fairly ancient 7spd campag cassette

    Yes they will be. Both Campag 7 and 8-speed spacing is 5.0mm therefore the levers are
    interchangeable.

    Info for if/when you ever need to replace your cassette, from
    www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog13.html : Campagnolo 8 Speed Cassette Cogs: "You may also use them
    on older, Campy 7 speed cassette hubs by simply discarding one cog. These cogs will NOT fit Campy
    Record 8 speed alloy freehub bodies that came with all titanium cog cassettes."

    ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs said:
    Paul Dytham said:

    I was informed on here a week or so ago that campag never did 7 spd ergo shifters, but i should
    go for 8 spd as the spacing was the same. Could those in the know confirm that a pair of 8 spd
    Avanti levers will be spaced correctly for my fairly ancient 7spd campag cassette

    Yes they will be. Both Campag 7 and 8-speed spacing is 5.0mm therefore the levers are
    interchangeable.

    That is assuming 7sp rear derailleurs are compatible with 8sp levers. I don't know if 8sp
    derailleurs travel the same amount per mm of cable pulled as 7-speeds. You'll need to replace the
    derailleur otherwise.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs must be edykated coz e writed:

    Quoted message said:
    Pete Biggs said:
    Paul Dytham said:

    I was informed on here a week or so ago that campag never did 7 spd ergo shifters, but i should
    go for 8 spd as the spacing was the same. Could those in the know confirm that a pair of 8 spd
    Avanti levers will be spaced correctly for my fairly ancient 7spd campag cassette

    Yes they will be. Both Campag 7 and 8-speed spacing is 5.0mm therefore the levers are
    interchangeable.

    That is assuming 7sp rear derailleurs are compatible with 8sp levers. I don't know if 8sp
    derailleurs travel the same amount per mm of cable pulled as 7-speeds. You'll need to replace the
    derailleur otherwise.

    ~PB


    The gearing is on the derailleur, not the lever so the levers should be ok, Pete can you email me a
    phone number in case I decide to pop over tomorrow?
    --
    Ian

    catrike.co.ukcatrike.co.uk

  5. Ian said:
    Quoted message said:

    That is assuming 7sp rear derailleurs are compatible with 8sp levers. I don't know if 8sp
    derailleurs travel the same amount per mm of cable pulled as 7-speeds. You'll need to replace the
    derailleur otherwise.

    Quoted message said:

    The gearing is on the derailleur, not the lever so the levers should be ok

    The indexing is a combination of both. The derailleur has to match the levers. Different derailleurs
    move by different amounts from certain other derailleurs per milimeter of cable pulled because the
    geometry can vary. That's why Shimano derailleurs can't normally be used with Campag indexed gear
    levers and vice versa, etc.

    Not all levers that are used with the same cassette spacing pull the same amount of cable per click.
    This is the case with new Campag 9sp Ergos vs old 9sp for example. They both work with 4.5mm
    cassette spacing yet not both old and new derailleurs are (quite) compatible with them.

    I just don't know if there's any difference between 7 and 8sp Campag derailleurs in this respect.

    ~PB

  6. "Paul Dytham" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was informed on here a week or so ago that campag never did 7 spd ergo shifters, but i should go
    for 8 spd as the spacing was the same. Could


    those

    Quoted message said:

    in the know confirm that a pair of 8 spd Avanti levers will be spaced correctly for my fairly
    ancient 7spd campag cassette


    I use Avanti 8 levers to shift a 7 speed cassette with a Campag rear mech. As far as I am aware,
    Campag had not changed their rear mech ratio for some considerable time until 2001 onwards. Before
    you go to the expense of purchasing NOS levers I suugest cross posting your request to
    rec.cycling.tech, where I expect Peter Chisolm (Qui si parla campagnolo) will pick it up. He is very
    authorotive and I would trust what he says.

    Rod

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.