General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

more oxygen in the air...

Started by mofoshaweng · · Last activity · 19 posts · 753 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 September 2004
Last activity
25 September 2004
Original author
mofoshaweng
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
753
Views / 30 days
23

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I hear so many people say that running is easier just after
    or during a period of rain. This is because there's "more
    oxygen in the air". Anybody know if this is true? It does feel
    like it but it might just be my mind playing with me.

    Mofo.

  2. << I hear so many people say that running is easier just after or during a
    period of rain >>

    i don't know for certain, but it may be due to the following: 1) moist air is
    less irritating to the bronchial tubes and lungs; 2) particulate matter in the
    air, eg, polution, might be lower.

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  3. "Etherized" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    << I hear so many people say that running is easier just after or during a
    period of rain >>

    i don't know for certain, but it may be due to the following: 1) moist


    air is

    Quoted message said:

    less irritating to the bronchial tubes and lungs; 2) particulate matter in


    the

    Quoted message said:

    air, eg, polution, might be lower.

    ....and/or

    3) air pressure is increased (just like going down in altitude) after the
    low pressure area passes through...

    4) After a dark and gloomy rain, it's just exhilirating to run in the dry,
    crystal clear brightness.

    PS: liked the lalique link, but don't dare show it to wife...

  4. Dan Stumpus said:

    3) air pressure is increased (just like going down in altitude) after the
    low pressure area passes through...

    Speaking of which, what is the impact of changing altitude?
    Besides the increased air resistance from that thick soup you guys
    call air, of course.

  5. Dan Stumpus said:

    3) air pressure is increased (just like going down in altitude) after the
    low pressure area passes through... >>

    Dan , are you the nice man from Barrier-Free Bingo?

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  6. In article <zAo4d.27698$wV.3612@attbi_s54>,

    Bear G said:
    Dan Stumpus said:

    3) air pressure is increased (just like going down in altitude) after the
    low pressure area passes through...

    Speaking of which, what is the impact of changing altitude?
    Besides the increased air resistance from that thick soup you guys
    call air, of course.

    My uneducated guess is that you suffer far more due to decreased air
    pressure (and hence less oxygen uptake) than you gain from decreased air
    resistance, which isn't anywhere near as big a factor in running as in
    cycling because of the slower speeds. Of course, I'm assuming we're
    talking distance running; obviously for sprinting the decreased air
    resistance helps a lot (see Olympics: Mexico City).

    FWIW, I've heard that the explanation that performance suffers at
    altitude because there's less oxygen in the air is incorrect; the big
    problem is that there's less pressure forcing the oxygen that's there
    into the lungs.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  7. "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:zAo4d.27698$wV.3612@attbi_s54...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Stumpus said:

    3) air pressure is increased (just like going down in altitude) after


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    low pressure area passes through...

    Speaking of which, what is the impact of changing altitude?
    Besides the increased air resistance from that thick soup you guys
    call air, of course.

    Non authoritatively... I remember reading that the effect is hard to measure
    up to about 2,000'. And that above 5,000', you lose about 3% of vo2 max per
    thousand feet of gain.

    I train at 5 - 10k' frequently in the mountains around LA, although I live
    at sea level, and I notice that I just go slower, and have to walk at
    less-steep gradients at altitude--grades I can chug up comfortably at 4,000
    can't be run at all at 9k'. The legs don't fall off, or anything that
    drastic.

    On the other hand, at *real* altitude (12k' and above) it is very, very
    tough to run up any grade. Try jogging up to Mt. Whitney (14,495'😉 sometime
    to see for yourself...

    -- Dan

  8. "Etherized" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Stumpus said:

    3) air pressure is increased (just like going down in altitude) after


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    low pressure area passes through... >>

    Dan , are you the nice man from Barrier-Free Bingo?

    Now it's my turn to say "Huh?"...

  9. << Now it's my turn to say "Huh?"... >>

    nevermind then. i volunteer for a Barrier-Free Bingo event. fellow who runs
    it is named Dan. 🙂

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  10. Harold Buck said:

    My uneducated guess is that you suffer far more due to decreased air
    pressure (and hence less oxygen uptake) than you gain from decreased air
    resistance,

    Oh, there's no doubt about that. About 5 years ago I was just
    run/walking and had to spend a week in San Francisco. I ran
    pretty much every day - and I mean running nonstop for up to an
    hour. I got back to Boulder and was so demotivated by resuming
    the run/walk cycle that I soon stopped running.

    You can read about the converse in some of the comments on local
    marathons (or the Lake Tahoe run). Locals don't have a problem,
    but visitors will soon crash if they don't make accomodations.

    My crack earlier was speed I really do have a hard time judging my
    speed at sea level because of the increased air resistance. But
    it makes me slow down - what nails you is coming to altitude and
    suffering from both the decreased air pressure and natural
    tendency to run a little faster than usual.

    I was just wondering what the hard numbers were. E.g., as a rule
    of thumb do you lose 30 seconds/mile at 5000'?

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW, I've heard that the explanation that performance suffers at
    altitude because there's less oxygen in the air is incorrect; the big
    problem is that there's less pressure forcing the oxygen that's there
    into the lungs.

    You lose about 15% coming to Boulder, I gain about 20% going down
    to sea level. When hiking I'm actually most comfortable at
    9500-10,000' - just below tree line. That's another 15% reduction
    for me, but a 30% reduction for people coming up from the
    flatlands. You can easily identify them by their beet red faces.

  11. Dan Stumpus said:

    "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking of which, what is the impact of changing altitude?
    Besides the increased air resistance from that thick soup you guys
    call air, of course.

    Non authoritatively... I remember reading that the effect is hard to measure
    up to about 2,000'. And that above 5,000', you lose about 3% of vo2 max per
    thousand feet of gain.

    That makes sense since atmospheric pressure drops by about 3% per
    thousand feet in the lower atmosphere.

  12. "Harold Buck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <zAo4d.27698$wV.3612@attbi_s54>,

    Bear G said:
    Dan Stumpus said:

    3) air pressure is increased (just like going down in altitude) after


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    low pressure area passes through...

    Speaking of which, what is the impact of changing altitude?
    Besides the increased air resistance from that thick soup you guys
    call air, of course.

    My uneducated guess is that you suffer far more due to decreased air
    pressure (and hence less oxygen uptake) than you gain from decreased air
    resistance, which isn't anywhere near as big a factor in running as in
    cycling because of the slower speeds. Of course, I'm assuming we're
    talking distance running; obviously for sprinting the decreased air
    resistance helps a lot (see Olympics: Mexico City).

    FWIW, I've heard that the explanation that performance suffers at
    altitude because there's less oxygen in the air is incorrect; the big
    problem is that there's less pressure forcing the oxygen that's there
    into the lungs.

    The percentage of oxygen in the air is the same at sea level as it is
    on top of Mount Everest (~21%). It is the partial pressure of oxygen that
    is altered. Sea level air is ~740 mm Hg; at 6200 feet it is ~610 mm Hg
    (assuming no low or high pressure fronts roll through). Take 21% of each
    and you will see that the difference is about 15% in terms of PO2. The only
    people who say there is "less" oxygen just do not understand chemistry or
    physics.
    Having a larger gradient is better for getting more O2 into the
    blood.

    Quoted message said:


    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sam said:

    The percentage of oxygen in the air is the same at sea level as it is
    on top of Mount Everest (~21%). It is the partial pressure of oxygen that
    is altered. Sea level air is ~740 mm Hg; at 6200 feet it is ~610 mm Hg
    (assuming no low or high pressure fronts roll through). Take 21% of each
    and you will see that the difference is about 15% in terms of PO2. The only
    people who say there is "less" oxygen just do not understand chemistry or
    physics.

    Well, there IS less oxygen overall, isn't there? I mean, if I give you
    21% of $740 and I give someone else 21% of $610, you can't say I'm not
    giving the other guy less just because he got the same percentage.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  14. "Harold Buck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The percentage of oxygen in the air is the same at sea level as it


    is

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on top of Mount Everest (~21%). It is the partial pressure of oxygen


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is altered. Sea level air is ~740 mm Hg; at 6200 feet it is ~610 mm Hg
    (assuming no low or high pressure fronts roll through). Take 21% of


    each

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and you will see that the difference is about 15% in terms of PO2. The


    only

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    people who say there is "less" oxygen just do not understand chemistry


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    physics.

    Well, there IS less oxygen overall, isn't there? I mean, if I give you
    21% of $740 and I give someone else 21% of $610, you can't say I'm not
    giving the other guy less just because he got the same percentage.

    Oh, God! Somebody slap him. Hard. Please?

  15. Quoted message said:

    The only
    people who say there is "less" oxygen just do not understand chemistry or
    physics.

    Actually I was a physics major who solved the ideal gas law in a
    gravity well under adiabatic conditions. The solutions for
    pressure and density were identical except for the scaling & unit
    conversion constants up front.

    There really is 15% less air here, or if you prefer we only have
    850 oxygen molecules for every 1000 oxygen molecules at sea level.
    (OT: I'm using 85% since the Denver skew-T plots start at 850mbar
    and sea level is just over 1000mbar. That may be the altitude of
    the first sounding, not ground level at the airport.)

    But don't take my word for it - ask any pilot. Lift depends on
    density, not pressure, and if they're decoupled pilots should find
    it as easy to fly out of Aspen as it is to fly out of LA.

    Or for that matter ask any baseball fan. Air resistance also
    depends on density, not pressure, and baseballs should fly the
    same in Coors field as Wrigley field. Wait, that might not be the
    best example since Chicago is also well above sea level. :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Having a larger gradient is better for getting more O2 into the
    blood.

    If so then altitude has a double whammy. I'm not saying it isn't
    a factor, but wouldn't there be at least some psychiological
    adaption to this?

  16. np426z said:

    "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Actually I was a physics major who solved the ideal gas law in a
    gravity well under adiabatic conditions.

    And I'm the Vice-President of Botswana and I've developed a cloud-stealing
    device.

    Whatever. If anyone is interested in the real science, not
    np426's fantasy, a quick google search turned up

    http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/sm1/lectures/node55.html

    Warning: requires knowledge of thermodynamics. I misremembered
    the equations slightly - compare equations 336 and 340, and the
    paper has z0 and z1 wrong. z0 is 8.44km and z1 is 29.5 km. Quick
    check:

    z0 = P/gp = (101325 Pa) / (9.8 m/s^2) / (1225 g/m^3) = 8.44 km

    This gives us the equations

    P(z)/P(0) = (1 - z/96.9)^3.5

    and

    p(z)/p(0) = (1 - z/96.9)^2.5

    for dry air where z is in 1000s of feet.

    Running the numbers through a calculator gives us

    P p T
    5k' 83% 88% 95% (3F per 1000', constant)
    10k' 68% 76% (commercial aircraft pressurization)
    15k' 56% 66% (a bit higher than any mtn in lower 48)

    This also gives us the 3%/1000 pressure drop mentioned earlier.
    That difference is about 2.25 pounds/square inch on the empty soda
    bottle that I bring back from my hike - no wonder the sides are
    pushed in!

    Anyway, in Denver the pressure is only 83% of its value at sea
    level, and the air density is only 88% of its value at sea level.
    Just below treeline at the ski resorts the numbers drop to 68% and
    76%, respectively. N.B. a drop in density is a real drop in the
    number of oxygen molecules in a given volume of air, not just a
    drop in the partial pressure.

    Perhaps np426 is a fish. Water, unlike air, is incompressible and
    density does not change with depth.

  17. close enough for Jazzzzzzz v.0921

    (P>001)

    Subject: Re: more oxygen in the air...
    From: Bear G <A
    HREF="[email hidden]">[email hidden]</A>
    Date: Thu, Sep 23, 2004 8:37 PM
    Message-id: <s%J4d.145143$3l3.58948@attbi_s03>

    np426z said:

    "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Actually I was a physics major who solved the ideal gas law in a
    gravity well under adiabatic conditions.

    And I'm the Vice-President of Botswana and I've developed a cloud-stealing
    device.

    Whatever. If anyone is interested in the real science, not
    np426's fantasy, a quick google search turned up

    <A
    HREF="http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/sm1/lectures/node55.html">http
    ://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/sm1/lectures/node55.html</A>

    Warning: requires knowledge of thermodynamics. I misremembered
    the equations slightly - compare equations 336 and 340, and the
    paper has z0 and z1 wrong. z0 is 8.44km and z1 is 29.5 km. Quick
    check:

    z0 = P/gp = (101325 Pa) / (9.8 m/s^2) / (1225 g/m^3) = 8.44 km

    This gives us the equations

    P(z)/P(0) = (1 - z/96.9)^3.5

    and

    p(z)/p(0) = (1 - z/96.9)^2.5

    for dry air where z is in 1000s of feet.

    Running the numbers through a calculator gives us

    P p T
    5k' 83% 88% 95% (3F per 1000', constant)
    10k' 68% 76% (commercial aircraft pressurization)
    15k' 56% 66% (a bit higher than any mtn in lower 48)

    This also gives us the 3%/1000 pressure drop mentioned earlier.
    That difference is about 2.25 pounds/square inch on the empty soda
    bottle that I bring back from my hike - no wonder the sides are
    pushed in!

    Anyway, in Denver the pressure is only 83% of its value at sea
    level, and the air density is only 88% of its value at sea level.
    Just below treeline at the ski resorts the numbers drop to 68% and
    76%, respectively. N.B. a drop in density is a real drop in the
    number of oxygen molecules in a given volume of air, not just a
    drop in the partial pressure.

    Perhaps np426 is a fish. Water, unlike air, is incompressible and
    density does not change with depth.

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  18. I live in the mountains and experience a "buzz" the first time or two
    I run at sea-level.

    I've read some conflicting claims about running in hyper-oxygen partial
    pressure below sea-level at the Dead Sea. You also have to deal the
    increased resistance of thicker air.

  19. "rick++" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I live in the mountains and experience a "buzz" the first time or two
    I run at sea-level.

    I've read some conflicting claims about running in hyper-oxygen partial
    pressure below sea-level at the Dead Sea. You also have to deal the
    increased resistance of thicker air.

    For an endurance runner, the air resistance is negligible. For sprinters,
    not so.

    There is a good bit of literature on hyperoxic training in cyclists. For
    instance cyclists living in Colorado Springs might do interval workouts on
    26% O2 (which gives you sea level PO2) or 60% O2 (which is---heck I cannot
    remember but is pretty nice!). Triathletes there have used it as well.
    This is an altitude dwellers version of live high, train low (or LHTO2).
    Look up papers by Morris and by Wilber on PubMed.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.