Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mountain bike / Road Bike

Started by dlgrant · · Last activity · 6 posts · 2,445 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 October 2003
Last activity
4 October 2003
Original author
dlgrant
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,445
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am new to the road bike scene, however I do have an older Trek 850 Mountain Bike. I'm wanting to start road biking but can't justify getting road bike yet. My question is what can I do to make my Trek 850 due for now? I've already changed to road tires. Are the clippless pedals interchangable so if I get a roadbike I can switch. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Yes most all pedals are interchangable on all bikes. When I first got a road bike I installed MTB clipless pedals because they where easier to "clip" in and out of and you can actually "walk" with the shoes on.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by dlgrant
    I am new to the road bike scene, however I do have an older Trek 850 Mountain Bike.

    Tires are probably the biggest bang for buck item. I went from knobs to semis and got a 2 mph delta on my 20 mile circuit (bike path, slightly hilly)

    If you don't have them, look at some bar ends. A better seat. I like clipless on my roadie and single speed, but have left the Mtn bike with clips/straps as its more convient for quick errands, etc.

    Maybe a cassette change on the rear wheel. With the tire upgrade, you'll get more efficiency from the drive train and will probably run out of gears....terrain dependent of course. I was running a 14 for the smallest cog, went down to an 11.

  4. Going from knobbies to road slicks made the difference for me.

    I'm using IRC Metro 1.5 and love them. Gotta love 100 PSI too!

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by dlgrant
    I am new to the road bike scene, however I do have an older Trek 850 Mountain Bike. I'm wanting to start road biking but can't justify getting road bike yet. My question is what can I do to make my Trek 850 due for now? I've already changed to road tires. Are the clippless pedals interchangable so if I get a roadbike I can switch. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

    Agree with all above, and narrow high pressure slicks are definitely the most important change if you're looking for an interim step between the mountain bike and the road bike, but beware... Once you get bitten by the road bug you'll just do as I did and rush out and get that road bike straightaway... If that's the case you'll be out the money for the slicks you got for the mountain bike so just hold off on all that, watch a few TdF DvDs and then get the road bike 🙂

    If that still won't get you moving toward roadie, maybe you could buy full USPS pro-kit complete with Aero Time Trial helmet and wear that while on your mountain bike 🙂

    Have a good one!

    Feanor

  6. I have Ritchey MTB pedals on road bike that i switch back and forth between the bikes.
    Beats paying for two pedals.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.