Mountain bike style brake levers on drop handle bars

tsomo2000

Jul 16, 2007
Hi All

Currently I have a Giant OCR road bike that i bought second hand from a person at work. I am wanting to know if it is possible to fit mountain bike style brake levers on the top of the drop handle bars (i am sure i have seen them fitted to Cyclocross bikes?).

Is the above possible? If so what will i need and how much will it cost me?

Thanks

Alex

tsomo2000 said:
Currently I have a Giant OCR road bike that i bought second hand from a person at work. I am wanting to know if it is possible to fit mountain bike style brake levers on the top of the drop handle bars (i am sure i have seen them fitted to Cyclocross bikes?).

Is the above possible? If so what will i need and how much will it cost me?
The levers you think you saw on a Cyclocross bike can also be used as stand-alone levers if you don't want to use them as auxiliary levers ... the so-called CX levers are available for "normal" bars & OS (over-sized) bars.

So, you need between $25-to-$50 depending on which brand you buy (Tektro is the less/least expensive) + either-or-both a 4mm (?) Allen wrench & a 5mm Allen wrench + cable cutters (to shorten your brake cables & housing ... a flat file should be used to clean the edge of the 'cut' housing).