Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Mountain bike vs. 10-speed?

Started by Brett · · Last activity · 21 posts · 754 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 May 2004
Last activity
28 May 2004
Original author
Brett
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
754
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
    mountain bike? Why?

    I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
    bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
    bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
    other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
    more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
    by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

    My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
    brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
    speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

    Thanks,
    Brett

  2. Brett said:

    Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
    mountain bike? Why?

    I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
    bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
    bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
    other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
    more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
    by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

    My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
    brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
    speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    You probably see "road bikes" going past you. With slick tires
    and at 20 lbs, roadies have the advantage on pavement.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC
    (Remove XSPAM)

  3. "Brett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
    mountain bike? Why?

    I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
    bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
    bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
    other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
    more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
    by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

    My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
    brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
    speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    When I see the word " Ten Speed" I think of Schwinn Varsity, and the '70s.
    Do you mean road bike?

    TJ.
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

  4. "TJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Brett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
    mountain bike? Why?

    I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
    bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
    bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
    other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
    more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
    by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

    My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
    brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
    speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    When I see the word " Ten Speed" I think of Schwinn Varsity, and the '70s.
    Do you mean road bike?

    TJ.
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

    I wonder if the people passing him on ten speeds have the bars
    upturned "dui bike"style. My guess is that a Varsity is about 30-35
    lbs.

    JD

  5. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    ten speeds have the bars upturned "dui bike"style.

    another 'mullet and bandana' ride

  6. JD said:

    "TJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Brett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
    mountain bike? Why?

    I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport
    mountain bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they
    have) type bikes seem to always go flying around me and other
    people, usually other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is
    because these guys are more in shape or their bike. I keep a good
    steady pace but get passed by people on 10 speeds. Even on up
    hills.

    My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
    brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
    speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    When I see the word " Ten Speed" I think of Schwinn Varsity, and
    the '70s. Do you mean road bike?

    TJ.
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

    I wonder if the people passing him on ten speeds have the bars
    upturned "dui bike"style. My guess is that a Varsity is about 30-35
    lbs.

    JD

    LOL! He meant 10 speeds "total". I thought he just
    meant the rear cassette is a 10-speed.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC
    (Remove XSPAM)

  7. Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce. From
    personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
    these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
    bikes to achieve higher top speeds.

    "Zilla" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JD said:

    "TJ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Brett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
    > mountain bike? Why?
    >
    > I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport
    > mountain bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they
    > have) type bikes seem to always go flying around me and other
    > people, usually other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is
    > because these guys are more in shape or their bike. I keep a good
    > steady pace but get passed by people on 10 speeds. Even on up
    > hills.
    >
    > My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
    > brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
    > speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brett

    When I see the word " Ten Speed" I think of Schwinn Varsity, and
    the '70s. Do you mean road bike?

    TJ.
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

    I wonder if the people passing him on ten speeds have the bars
    upturned "dui bike"style. My guess is that a Varsity is about 30-35
    lbs.

    JD

    LOL! He meant 10 speeds "total". I thought he just
    meant the rear cassette is a 10-speed.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC
    (Remove XSPAM)

  8. Xx said:

    Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce. From
    personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
    these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
    bikes to achieve higher top speeds.


    Right, makes all the difference.
    LOL

    Shawn

  9. "Shawn Curry" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Xx said:

    Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce.


    From

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
    these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
    bikes to achieve higher top speeds.


    Right, makes all the difference.
    LOL

    Shawn


    I'm falling out of my chair. LMMFAO!

    Thanks, Shawn.

    TJ.
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

  10. "Xx" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce. From
    personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
    these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
    bikes to achieve higher top speeds.

    Are you saying mountain bikes have a lower gear ratio than the road bikes?

    Brett

  11. ..

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Right, makes all the difference.
    LOL

    Shawn

    Actually what Xx says is true about the mtb being a faster accelerator.

    The Redland Classic is a multi-stage road race. The prologue of the classic
    use to be a 200 meter Street Sprint (drag race) between bikes. Brian Lopes
    set the fastest time on a Cannondale MTB with road tires. He got beat in
    the finals when he was forced to use a road bike. See attached article.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/mar00/redlands00p.shtml

  12. "jack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    .

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Right, makes all the difference.
    LOL

    Shawn

    Actually what Xx says is true about the mtb being a faster accelerator.

    The Redland Classic is a multi-stage road race. The prologue of the


    classic

    Quoted message said:

    use to be a 200 meter Street Sprint (drag race) between bikes. Brian


    Lopes

    Quoted message said:

    set the fastest time on a Cannondale MTB with road tires. He got beat in
    the finals when he was forced to use a road bike. See attached article.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/mar00/redlands00p.shtml


    Xx was refering to a Schwinn Varsity "DUI" bike.

    TJ
    www.gvii.net/hundtoft

  13. (Brett) said:

    "Xx" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Another thing to consider is the lower gear ratio these bikes produce. From
    personal experience, at stand still, I can easily accelerate faster than
    these road bike, but lack the lower final drive ratio which allow these
    bikes to achieve higher top speeds.

    Are you saying mountain bikes have a lower gear ratio than the road bikes?

    Brett

    They sure do!

    My Mt bike has a 22 /34/44 up fron as compared to my 53/39

    on my road bike and the wheel size is different a road bikes wheel
    is bigger.

  14. jack said:
    Quoted message said:

    Right, makes all the difference.
    LOL

    Shawn

    Actually what Xx says is true about the mtb being a faster accelerator.

    The Redland Classic is a multi-stage road race. The prologue of the classic
    use to be a 200 meter Street Sprint (drag race) between bikes. Brian Lopes
    set the fastest time on a Cannondale MTB with road tires. He got beat in
    the finals when he was forced to use a road bike. See attached article.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/mar00/redlands00p.shtml

    I dunno if I buy that - I don't think there's a lot of difference
    either way (assuming the same overall gear ratio and tire width), but
    I suspect that a roadie sprinter would be faster on a road bike than a
    MTB, if only because he/she could achieve a little better aerodynamics
    toward the "fast end" of the race. And let's face it - all the sprint
    records have been set on road bikes of one sort or another (at least
    as far as I know - anyone out there with other data?).

    I suspect it all comes down to what you're used to working best.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  15. "Mark Hickey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jack said:
    Quoted message said:

    Right, makes all the difference.
    LOL

    Shawn

    Actually what Xx says is true about the mtb being a faster accelerator.

    The Redland Classic is a multi-stage road race. The prologue of the


    classic

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    use to be a 200 meter Street Sprint (drag race) between bikes. Brian


    Lopes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    set the fastest time on a Cannondale MTB with road tires. He got beat in
    the finals when he was forced to use a road bike. See attached article.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/mar00/redlands00p.shtml

    I dunno if I buy that - I don't think there's a lot of difference
    either way (assuming the same overall gear ratio and tire width), but
    I suspect that a roadie sprinter would be faster on a road bike than a
    MTB, if only because he/she could achieve a little better aerodynamics
    toward the "fast end" of the race. And let's face it - all the sprint
    records have been set on road bikes of one sort or another (at least
    as far as I know - anyone out there with other data?).

    Quoted message said:


    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

    This is only a 200 meter race from a dead stop in a straight line. Winning
    times were 15-16 seconds. The mtb was equipped with road tires. I think
    this is like regular car drag racing. Who ever can put the power to the
    ground will the get the jump. (wide mountain bike handbar can provide a lot
    of leverage at the start) Aerodynamics will come into play if the race is
    long enough.

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect it all comes down to what you're used to working best.

    That is a good point since type of racing Brian Lopes is use to are sprints
    from a dead stop on a mountain bike.

  16. "jack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mark Hickey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jack said:

    > Right, makes all the difference.
    > LOL
    >
    > Shawn

    Actually what Xx says is true about the mtb being a faster accelerator.

    The Redland Classic is a multi-stage road race. The prologue of the


    classic

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    use to be a 200 meter Street Sprint (drag race) between bikes. Brian


    Lopes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    set the fastest time on a Cannondale MTB with road tires. He got beat


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the finals when he was forced to use a road bike. See attached


    article.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/mar00/redlands00p.shtml

    I dunno if I buy that - I don't think there's a lot of difference
    either way (assuming the same overall gear ratio and tire width), but
    I suspect that a roadie sprinter would be faster on a road bike than a
    MTB, if only because he/she could achieve a little better aerodynamics
    toward the "fast end" of the race. And let's face it - all the sprint
    records have been set on road bikes of one sort or another (at least
    as far as I know - anyone out there with other data?).

    Quoted message said:


    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

    This is only a 200 meter race from a dead stop in a straight line.


    Winning

    Quoted message said:

    times were 15-16 seconds. The mtb was equipped with road tires. I think
    this is like regular car drag racing. Who ever can put the power to the
    ground will the get the jump. (wide mountain bike handbar can provide a


    lot

    Quoted message said:

    of leverage at the start) Aerodynamics will come into play if the race is
    long enough.

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect it all comes down to what you're used to working best.

    That is a good point since type of racing Brian Lopes is use to are


    sprints

    Quoted message said:

    from a dead stop on a mountain bike.

    Visit a Velodrome--see matched sprints taking place, and how they are won.
    Even though a matched sprint covers 3 laps, the first 2 and a half are cat
    and mouse low speed maneuvering...With less than 100 meters left to go there
    is an explosion, and that is where the sprint really takes place. I raced at
    the Velodrome at Brian Piccolo Park for years, and trust me, NO ONE would
    ever attempt a matched sprint on a mountain bike. The track bike gives you
    better "leverage" for the type of muscle contractions and power development
    you need to hit 40 or more miles per hour, it weighs less than a road bike,
    and that is significant with the gear leverage you apply from a dead
    stop---this translates into this discussion as well, since in the "drag
    race" scenario discussed here, from a dead stop, the road bikes should weigh
    quite a bit less than even the lightest mountain bikes. How many 15 pound
    mountain bikes are their running around--even if you put roadie type wheels
    and tires on them?

    The mountain bike gives better balance and handling for negotiating
    obstacles on the trail---the road bike or track bike will provide better
    geometry for the type of muscle leverage required for hitting the fastest
    sprint possible.

    Then again, you could put Marty Northstein (former Olympic track champion)
    on a mountain bike, and any of us on a track bike, and he'd smoke us in a
    200 yard sprint ....Maybe he'd only hit 41 mph instead of 45, but he'd get
    to it faster than we would, and most of us would not be hitting much over 37
    mph, especially from a standing start!

    Dan V

  17. After reading the article linked to the post, it would seem Lopes has
    trained his muscles better for the geometry of a mountain bike, than he has
    for the geometry of a road bike--not too surprising, considering he is a
    downhill racer. He must be a very strong sprinter. With several months on a
    track bike, my bet is that he would beat his record on the mountain bike :-)

    Dan V

  18. [email hidden] (Brett) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Are 10 speeds overall faster and better for paved paths than a
    mountain bike? Why?

    I live in DC. I stay on paved trails with my Trek 800 Sport mountain
    bike. I notice the 10-speed (or what ever gearing they have) type
    bikes seem to always go flying around me and other people, usually
    other mountain bikers. I don't know if it is because these guys are
    more in shape or their bike. I keep a good steady pace but get passed
    by people on 10 speeds. Even on up hills.

    My mountain bike weighs about 33.5 lbs. I paid close to $200 for it
    brand new. What are some of the prices for a decent 10, 18, etc.
    speed bike for under $400? What do they average in weight?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    FYI: modern road bikes can have 3 rings up front and 10 in the back,
    making it a "30 speed". I don't know how many distinct ratios that
    actually makes, but whatever.
    /scott
    If you somehow mounted those 10 cogs on a Rohloff 14sp hub, would that
    be 43 speed? Or a 420sp?

  19. "Dan Volker" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    With several months on a

    Quoted message said:

    track bike, my bet is that he would beat his record on the mountain bike


    :-)

    Quoted message said:


    Dan V

    Who knows that might happen. See attached article:

    http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=473

  20. [email hidden] (supabonbon) wrote

    Quoted message said:


    If you somehow mounted those 10 cogs on a Rohloff 14sp hub, would that
    be 43 speed? Or a 420sp?

    Thanks. Now I won't get to sleep tonight.

    CC

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.