Mountain disc wheels on road frame?

I am building up a commuter on a 'cross frame, which will have 700c
wheels and disc brakes. I would like to build a separate set of 26"
wheels to mount studded tires on for snowy, icy days for use on the
same frame. Is there any technical reason why I shouldn't be able to
do this, as long as the clearance through the fork permits, and both
back wheels use 135 mm axels?

Regards,
Fred

[email protected] wrote:
> I am building up a commuter on a 'cross frame, which will have 700c
> wheels and disc brakes. I would like to build a separate set of 26"
> wheels to mount studded tires on for snowy, icy days for use on the
> same frame. Is there any technical reason why I shouldn't be able to
> do this, as long as the clearance through the fork permits, and both
> back wheels use 135 mm axels?

Only other issue is Tire diameter and the effect on bottom bracket
height.

[email protected] wrote:
> I am building up a commuter on a 'cross frame, which will have 700c
> wheels and disc brakes. I would like to build a separate set of 26"
> wheels to mount studded tires on for snowy, icy days for use on the
> same frame. Is there any technical reason why I shouldn't be able to
> do this, as long as the clearance through the fork permits, and both
> back wheels use 135 mm axels?
>
> Regards,
> Fred

Great idea. I wish there were more 130mm options for disc.

[email protected] wrote:
> I am building up a commuter on a 'cross frame, which will have 700c
> wheels and disc brakes. I would like to build a separate set of 26"
> wheels to mount studded tires on for snowy, icy days for use on the
> same frame. Is there any technical reason why I shouldn't be able to
> do this, as long as the clearance through the fork permits, and both
> back wheels use 135 mm axels?
>
> Regards,
> Fred

Why do you want to use 26" wheels and tires at all? I can't think of
any advantages. Nokian makes a really good 700x35 studded tire:
http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1263 One on the front is
all you need for most icy days. As for snow, regular cross tires work
as well or better than mountain bike tires.

-Vee

[email protected] wrote:
> I am building up a commuter on a 'cross frame, which will have 700c
> wheels and disc brakes. I would like to build a separate set of 26"
> wheels to mount studded tires on for snowy, icy days for use on the
> same frame. Is there any technical reason why I shouldn't be able to
> do this, as long as the clearance through the fork permits, and both
> back wheels use 135 mm axels?
>
> Regards,
> Fred

Nope, no technical reason as long as the tires fit into the frame.

"bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> I am building up a commuter on a 'cross frame, which will have 700c
>> wheels and disc brakes. I would like to build a separate set of 26"
>> wheels to mount studded tires on for snowy, icy days for use on the
>> same frame. Is there any technical reason why I shouldn't be able to
>> do this, as long as the clearance through the fork permits, and both
>> back wheels use 135 mm axels?

>Only other issue is Tire diameter and the effect on bottom bracket
>height.

This is the real issue. If the frame is designed to provide proper
bottom bracket height (aka "cranks don't hit the ground in corners")
with skinny road tires (say, 25mm), then throwing on a set of 26"
wheels with 2" (50mm) knobby tires would produce a ride height that's
nearly identical. I wouldn't recommend using 25mm tires on those 26"
rims though.

The only other proviso is that the chainstays are shaped to allow such
a wide tire (that is, if you don't have over 1/2" (13mm) of clearance
on both sides of a 25mm (1") 700c tire, a 26" 50mm (2") tire won't
fit.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:

> The only other proviso is that the chainstays are shaped to allow such
> a wide tire (that is, if you don't have over 1/2" (13mm) of clearance
> on both sides of a 25mm (1") 700c tire, a 26" 50mm (2") tire won't
> fit.

Mark's hit the stud on the head. Tire clearance is crucial- the more
the better. You also can't depend on the measurements since mountain
tires have large square knobs right at the spot the "road" frame angles
inward. A tire with a more round cross section might work, but it may
be a case of "ride on what fits".

Jeff

Vee wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I am building up a commuter on a 'cross frame, which will have 700c
>> wheels and disc brakes. I would like to build a separate set of 26"
>> wheels to mount studded tires on for snowy, icy days for use on the
>> same frame. Is there any technical reason why I shouldn't be able to
>> do this, as long as the clearance through the fork permits, and both
>> back wheels use 135 mm axels?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fred

> Why do you want to use 26" wheels and tires at all? I can't think of
> any advantages.

I can't answer for the OP, but here's a guess: some 'cross bikes don't
allow such large tyres. My 700c studded tyres have really thick tread
(i.e. big knobs). They fit fine in my Surly and my touring bike that was
designed for 630mm wheels, but I've seen 'cross bikes with much less
clearance than mine.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)