VeloSpeed said:Hi,
What (if any) is the advantage of road pedals over mountain bike SPDs?
My girlfirend and I are picking up our new bikes tomorrow. As we both have MTBs and shoes already I was considering getting the bikes fitted with mountian SPDs. Anyone else ride with these on their road bikes?
The LBS has offered some free kit with the bike purchase that might allow us to stretch to cheap shoes and pedals but we could also easily spend the cash on other essentials!
Cheers
David
Greetings David,
Congrats on the new road bikes, you will love road riding. You will have no problem uusing SPD pedals on your road bike. I do it and think it is the best option for me, as I commute and don't like to change shoes once I get to the office. My mtb shoes are "all day comfortable," and feel almost as good as my everyday shoes.
The main advantages of road specific shoes vs mtb shoes are weight, the road shoes being lighter, and stiffness. Road shoes, at least the better ones will almost invariably be stiffer then mtb shoes (since you won't be walking in them very often) and many will offer carbon soles. The advantage to this stiffness is a more efficient power transfer during your pedal stroke because of less flex in the sole. I have been using my mtb shoes for over a year now and I can tell you that I don't plan on switching over to road shoes and pedals. Don't be intimidated and don't let anyne tell you that you have to have road shoes and pedals on your road bike...it simply is not true. It is an especially good idea for the 2 of you since you already have the shoes.
As far as the advantages of the pedals, that may depend on the type of pedal and cleat system you use. Most (if not all) road pedals are one-sided for entry, as opposed to dual-sided for most mtb pedals. Weight, again, would be another issue. If you are not racing you may not want to concern yourself with that. Also there are a greater variety of road pedal systems so there is a greater variety from which to choose. Give them a look, but don't limit yourself just because you have a road bike.
I hope this helps,
Cheers,
Brian