UK and Europe · Public discussion

Mounting front mech - is this a bodge?

Started by Jeremy Collins · · Last activity · 7 posts · 552 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
14 February 2005
Last activity
14 February 2005
Original author
Jeremy Collins
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
552
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    I'm reviving an old MTB so that I've got a decent spare bike, but
    without spending too much money.

    So I've got a decent unused Deore LX front mech which is the
    correct size for the chainset, but the mounting bracket is a little
    bit too big for the frame.

    Is it a horrible crime to use it anyway, and fill the gap with
    something?

    If not, can anyone tell me what the "something" might be? I assume
    a light-bracket style rubber shim wouldn't be up to the job.

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  2. Jeremy Collins said:


    Hi all,

    I'm reviving an old MTB so that I've got a decent spare bike, but
    without spending too much money.

    So I've got a decent unused Deore LX front mech which is the
    correct size for the chainset, but the mounting bracket is a little
    bit too big for the frame.

    Is it a horrible crime to use it anyway, and fill the gap with
    something?

    Yes, it is a horrible crime: you'll probably share a cell with Shimano.

    You might be able to use one of their adapters. Or use something solid,
    like a piece of PVC tubing of the correct thickness

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  3. Jeremy Collins said:

    Hi all,

    I'm reviving an old MTB so that I've got a decent spare bike, but
    without spending too much money.

    So I've got a decent unused Deore LX front mech which is the
    correct size for the chainset, but the mounting bracket is a little
    bit too big for the frame.

    Is it a horrible crime to use it anyway, and fill the gap with
    something?

    If not, can anyone tell me what the "something" might be? I assume
    a light-bracket style rubber shim wouldn't be up to the job.

    Some solid(ish) shim would be fine. You might struggle to get a metal on
    round the seatpost, but one of our bikes has a loose carbon fibre collar
    as a shim.

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is
    by treading on the toes of giants.
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  4. in message <[email hidden]>, Jeremy Collins

    (') said:

    Hi all,

    I'm reviving an old MTB so that I've got a decent spare bike, but
    without spending too much money.

    So I've got a decent unused Deore LX front mech which is the
    correct size for the chainset, but the mounting bracket is a little
    bit too big for the frame.

    Is it a horrible crime to use it anyway, and fill the gap with
    something?

    If not, can anyone tell me what the "something" might be? I assume
    a light-bracket style rubber shim wouldn't be up to the job.

    Standard Aluminium Beer Can shim, as discussed at length in Zen and the
    Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, will do it. Depending on the amount you
    need to shim out, you might need more than one layer. For best results,
    of course, carefully abrade all the paint off the outer side and stamp
    it 'BMW'.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
    ;; of me, by a 'friend'

  5. Jeremy Collins said:

    Hi all,

    I'm reviving an old MTB so that I've got a decent spare bike, but
    without spending too much money.

    So I've got a decent unused Deore LX front mech which is the
    correct size for the chainset, but the mounting bracket is a little
    bit too big for the frame.

    Is it a horrible crime to use it anyway, and fill the gap with
    something?

    If not, can anyone tell me what the "something" might be? I assume
    a light-bracket style rubber shim wouldn't be up to the job.

    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat274.htm - front mech shims

    ~PB

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Jeremy Collins
    ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is it a horrible crime to use it anyway, and fill the gap with
    something?

    Standard Aluminium Beer Can shim, as discussed at length in Zen and the
    Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, will do it.

    I like it! Before your post I had visions of scrabbling around the
    house for a bit of PVC tubing, now all I have to do is drink a beer!

    Cheers to everyone for the replies.

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  7. Jeremy Collins said:


    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Jeremy Collins
    ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is it a horrible crime to use it anyway, and fill the gap with
    something?

    Standard Aluminium Beer Can shim, as discussed at length in Zen and the
    Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, will do it.

    I like it! Before your post I had visions of scrabbling around the
    house for a bit of PVC tubing, now all I have to do is drink a beer!

    Cheers to everyone for the replies.

    It is even better than you think: a typical beercan is about 0.1 mm
    thick. You'll need 16 shims to bridge one size up ! Better get a sixpack
    with bandaids to go 😉
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.