Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

mounting videocamera on bike

Started by Sean · · Last activity · 6 posts · 491 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 April 2004
Last activity
7 April 2004
Original author
Sean
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
491
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I intend to use a small dv video camera. Has anyone here
    ever done it?

    Is it possible to buy a specific bracket to attach to bike?

    If not what would be the best method besides gaffa taping
    the thing between tri bars?

    Will the vibration be too much for a steady shot or do I
    need to 'dampen' the connection? Regards Sean.

  2. On 7 Apr 2004 07:18:54 -0700, [email hidden] (sean) may have

    Quoted message said:

    I intend to use a small dv video camera. Has anyone here
    ever done it?

    It's been tried. My advice: Don't do it with equipment that
    you intend to keep using.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it possible to buy a specific bracket to attach to bike?

    Not off-the-shelf for that purpose AFAIK.

    Quoted message said:

    If not what would be the best method besides gaffa taping
    the thing between tri bars?

    In my opinion, the best method would be to use the rider as
    the damping system; either employ a shoulder mount, or a
    helmet mount if it's *really* light.

    Quoted message said:

    Will the vibration be too much for a steady shot or do I
    need to 'dampen' the connection?

    Even on what appears to be smooth, level pavement, you will
    probably need heavy damping with considerable motion
    absorption range. This isn't just due to image blurring,
    it's also in recognition of the fact that mechanically,
    these units are designed around a typical operating
    condition parameter set which your proposed usage isn't
    within. To safely use a camera that was designed for the
    relatively low accelerations of hand-held use, you have to
    stay within those limits. On a full-suspension bike with
    little or no shock absorption, you might get away with a
    mount on the bars as long as the ride was over fairly smooth
    terrain, but I personally would still not try it. The tripod
    mounting shoe of the typical videocam simply is not intended
    to be subjected to much force; I've seen them torn out of
    the housing in situations with less motion than a bike would
    produce in a reasonably normal real-world ride. If you're
    talking about using one of the low-mass pure-digitals with
    no tape drive, you might get away with more vibration and
    shock forces without destroying the unit, but your images
    will still be pretty much of a continuous series of jitters
    unless you can provide good motion damping.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  3. Quoted message said:

    I intend to use a small dv video camera. Has anyone here
    ever done it?

    See the following:

    petefagerlin.comvideo how to.htm

    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  4. Werehatrack <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    On 7 Apr 2004 07:18:54 -0700, [email hidden] (sean)

    may have said:

    I intend to use a small dv video camera. Has anyone here
    ever done it?

    It's been tried. My advice: Don't do it with equipment
    that you intend to keep using.

    Indeed. There was one rider on Chilly Hilly this year who
    started with a video camera on a tripod secured to his rear
    rack, pointed rearwards (lousy view to the front). When I
    saw him at the finish, the tripos was still there, but the
    camera wasn't.

    Another friend secured the camera to his handlebars and got
    some fantastic footage on a fast descent. The camera never
    worked after that- so many internal connections had broken
    that the camera was junk.

    Jeff

  5. Terry Morse <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I intend to use a small dv video camera. Has anyone here
    ever done it?

    See the following:

    petefagerlin.comvideo how to.htm

    Thanks guys. Very helpfull.

  6. I actually made an device (out of 6061 Aluminum) for this
    very purpose for an engineering class. With panning/azimuth
    adjustment, elastomer damping, and tripod-style quick
    release. Admittedly it was 70 hours' worth of machining work
    so that could be a barrier, but it works pretty darn well. I
    can even reposition the camera to point at my face on-the-
    fly to give mobile commentaries.

    For the interim, you could possibly emulate my "MkI"
    model, which was simply a piece of plywood to which I
    screwed a 1/4 - 20 bolt for the camera mount. I also
    screwed an old cateye headlamp clip [taken off one of
    their older lights] to the piece of plywood, and used the
    corresponding cateye handlebar bracket [so that it could
    be taken off the camera].

    Link to the MkI image below:

    stanford.educmtmki.jpg

    Bike tour films made using the MkI (scroll down):

    stanford.eduvidpg1.html

    The biggest problems with this early version were vibration
    and lack of adjustability, which were fixed in the Al
    version. Smooth roads definitely required for useable
    footage. I didn't have access to power tools when I made
    this, so you can easily make some improvements.

    Next project: to integrate shutter buttons into the brake
    hoods so I don't have to take my hands off at 35mph to film.

    song

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.