Moving to brisbane

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) said:
I'm moving to brisbane and will most likely be working in the
CBD. Can people tell me what are the best suburbs for bike
accessablity to the CBD. Things I should know ect.

Before I moved back to Melbourne, lived in Brisbane for 16 months, Northside, rode quite a bit on the South side, but did not like it, was too flat, other than all the way down to Mt Tamborine.... that was a sweet ride.

But nothing as far as I am concerned beat the rides out to Redcliffe/Deception Bay, Daysboro, Samford and of course Mt Nebo and a great doghnut at the Samford bakery.

Having said that, commuting to work was SH&T from the Northside, I ended up running to work and back home more than I rode, I lived in Wavell Heights. Unless of course I rode to work VIA Mt Cootha.... ahhhhhhh beautiful Mt Cootha... I really do miss that mountain.

There are some pretty goddam dodgy areas INNER Northside though.... Nundah to name an example... I can't believe the amount of articles I read back down in Melbourne of robberies, drug houses, stabbings and murders in that suburb, I would often get to that train station in early dark hours and late dark hours...... *shudder*

Winter is magnificent..!!! Summer is just a perpetual pain in the ****, Fluids, Fluids, Fluids, Fluids, Fluids.

save yourself the long and arduous (at times) commute to work bit, and move to an inner city suburb... every single one has some form of bike path (wether on road or a bikeway) and they all lead to the city.
so instead of getting up early to ride to work, you can get up early to ride somewhere else and then go to work... hmmm... doesnt make much sense does it...

the good thing is though, you can walk to work if you cant be bothered riding :D

osc wrote:

> Mmmm Abby, I think you should come over to the Northside sometime. Adam
> and I could surely make you uncool....., although since you're riding
> around with your brakes gaffa taped up you don't sound too cool to me!
> :D
>
> As for those rusty nuts, well maybe you're jealous of the
> northsiders.........;)
>
> --
> osc

*lmao!* Touche!!

Hmmm, there must be some place where gaffa tape is cool - Ipswich
maybe?? *grins*

Cheers,
Abby

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Duracell Bunny wrote:
>
>>Tamyka Bell wrote:

>>>Except for that little bit at Southbank, where they are/were
>>>doing construction, and had that vibe ramp set up...
>>>
>>>T ;)

>>I think Lotte's saying I'm not cool now I have disc brakes on two out of
>>three bikes <pout>
>>
>>--
>>Karen

> Well, that's fair.
>
> :p
>
> Tam *discs are for information storage, not for bikes*

Well as long as she's not pulling me up for playing the banjo :O

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.' Catherine Aird

osc said:
You could live on the northside, but then you'd be a total w#nker,

Or you could live on the southside, be cool,

Mmmm Abby, I think you should come over to the Northside sometime. Adam and I could surely make you uncool....., although since you're riding around with your brakes gaffa taped up you don't sound too cool to me! :D

As for those rusty nuts, well maybe you're jealous of the northsiders.........;)

I must admit that getting into the city from the north is not an easy (or safe)journey although there are bike paths if you want a rather circuitous route. Not having tried from the south I cannot comment. I'd have to say though that with the increasing length of bikeway along the Western Freeway wouldn't that be the easiest point to point 'safe' road free commute route?

There are however consolations for living on the beautiful north of the river. magnificent rides out around Redcliffe and Sandgate, Mt Mee, Samford, Dayboro, up the north coast. Access to Lakeside for criteriums! Heaven!

Since I was unable to post in the defence of the northside at the time of the last discussion about this I feel obliged to do so now!

Stewart

Ha Ha...smackdown! ;)

I've got to say, most of my rides are on the northside as well, but I've no major predjudice against living on the southside. The only southside rides I do are the occasional bunchie to Cleveland, Wellington Point, Wynnum, and the loop Rhino and I did on Sunday - Avalon Rd, Rochedale, Mt Cotton and Redland Bay, Cleveland. This route was on bikely.com but i can't find it now. Other than that it's pretty boring southside I reckon.

For commuting like other have said you want to be reasonably close to the city and all innercity suburbs (<6km from CBD) have pretty good connections. On the northside if you want to minimise travelling on busy roads, there is a long bike path that runs from Nudgee Beach in the East through to Arana Hills in the west following Kedron Brook. From this path you can cut through Wilston and get on another bike path which crosses over the inner city bypass which brings you out in Spring Hill right next to the CBD. So anywhere close to that bikepath would give you a pretty stressfree commute.

Adam

i forgot to add; most inner city suburbs have a t2 or t3 lane for the left lane, so you *basically* get an entire lane to yourself, with the occasional bus, car and motorbike/scooter (which i have found to be pretty well behaved). I say occasional, because you will find that most people are stuck in the right-hand lane, 1 body to a car, and are giving you greasies because you are on a bicycle and going MUCH faster than they are, even on the uphill :D
the ones that use the transit lanes are calm and happy that they have 2 or more people in the car, or are riding some form of motorised bike, or are on the bus, and will be getting where they are going stress-free, will have time for a coffee before they get in and are feeling sorry for the poor sods in their sardine tins, and are quite happy to wait for an opportunity to safely pass a bicycle...

Absent Husband said:
Or you could live on the southside, be cool, and live a simple, easy
life of cycle-commuting most days, and catching easy PT when you are
tired...

Say what?? Soap and water Abby! You'd have to chop my legs off before I'd catch the bus or the train. Or fill me full of beers...

adam85 wrote:
> Absent Husband Wrote:
>

>>Or you could live on the southside, be cool, and live a simple, easy
>>life of cycle-commuting most days, and catching easy PT when you are
>>tired...
>>

> Say what?? Soap and water Abby! You'd have to chop my legs off before
> I'd catch the bus or the train. Or fill me full of beers...

Last time I drove into Brisbane, I was only there for an hour & it cost
$9 to park ... it was persisting with rain so I'd left the treadly at
home, but now I know what it costs to park for such a short time I'll
take a garbage bag as a waterproof, as I always used to ...

--

asterope wrote:
> i forgot to add; most inner city suburbs have a t2 or t3 lane for the
> left lane,

If only! I'm struggling to think of any besides Waterworks Road, Bowen
Bridge Rd and Coro Drive?? A slew of other roads are crying out for a
T3.

Donga

Donga said:
asterope wrote:
> i forgot to add; most inner city suburbs have a t2 or t3 lane for the
> left lane,

If only! I'm struggling to think of any besides Waterworks Road, Bowen
Bridge Rd and Coro Drive?? A slew of other roads are crying out for a
T3.

Donga
i thought brunswick st from new farm was a transit lane but come to think of it, its more of a parking lane :( theres a bikeway to the city from there so its kinda pointless on the road really...

ipswich rd definitely needs a transit lane... though southsiders have a pretty decent bikeway into the city...

asterope wrote:

> i thought brunswick st from new farm was a transit lane but come to
> think of it, its more of a parking lane :( theres a bikeway to the city
> from there so its kinda pointless on the road really...
>
> ipswich rd definitely needs a transit lane... though southsiders have a
> pretty decent bikeway into the city...

It's only good if you live close to it - I have to ride 14kms on the Old
Cleveland Rd from Capalaba to get to the express bikeway. And that's the
bit they are about to close, too. Very few useful bike tracks in SE Brissie.

--

MikeyOz wrote:

> David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) Wrote:
> > I'm moving to brisbane and will most likely be working in the
> > CBD. Can people tell me what are the best suburbs for bike
> > accessablity to the CBD. Things I should know ect.
> >

> Before I moved back to Melbourne, lived in Brisbane for 16 months,
> Northside, rode quite a bit on the South side, but did not like it, was
> too flat, other than all the way down to Mt Tamborine.... that was a
> sweet ride.

<snip>

I suppose you bypassed Mt Cotton and Mt Gravatt and Mt
Petrie Rd and...

Tam*lives off Hawthorne Rd, now that's a MOFO hill!*