Road Cycling · Public discussion

Mr Basso in the news, again.

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 14 posts · 439 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 May 2007
Last activity
14 May 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
439
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I saw this on Velonews today:-

    "Ivan Basso said Tuesday that even though he had planned to blood dope
    for the 2006 Tour de France, he had actually never taken banned drugs
    or used blood transfusions."

    Wow!

    It seems like I remember our President saying something to the effect
    that, "he had tried it a couple of times but didn't inhale".

    Well, I don't believe him, either. :-)

    Lewis.

    *****


  2. Quoted message said:

    "Ivan Basso said Tuesday that even though he had planned to blood dope
    for the 2006 Tour de France, he had actually never taken banned drugs
    or used blood transfusions."

    Wow!

    It seems like I remember our President saying something to the effect
    that, "he had tried it a couple of times but didn't inhale".

    Well, I don't believe him, either. :-)

    Lewis.

    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to cigarette and
    cigarette smoke. Back in the day (in the '60s) when he tried to smoke
    marijuana, it came to the U.S. in bricks. I remember Havana Gold was one of
    the types and another was green (Haiti green?). In order to smoke it, you
    had to use a knife and cut off a chunk. Then, you split a cigarette and
    inserted the chunk into the tobacco. Light the tobacco, draw in a big puff,
    and sooner or later the fire got down to the marijuana and you inhaled it.
    Bill Clinton was allergic to cigarette smoke. Ergo, he tried to do it but he
    failed. He was telling the truth. Back then, marijuana didn't come in a
    flaky form. I remember some classmate of his from England telling about
    this on the talk radio back when it was a hot topic. But, people like to
    remember the salacious, not the mundane truth.....

  3. Pat said:


    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to cigarette and
    cigarette smoke. Back in the day (in the '60s) when he tried to smoke
    marijuana, it came to the U.S. in bricks. I remember Havana Gold was one of
    the types and another was green (Haiti green?). In order to smoke it, you
    had to use a knife and cut off a chunk. Then, you split a cigarette and
    inserted the chunk into the tobacco. Light the tobacco, draw in a big puff,
    and sooner or later the fire got down to the marijuana and you inhaled it.
    Bill Clinton was allergic to cigarette smoke. Ergo, he tried to do it but he
    failed. He was telling the truth. Back then, marijuana didn't come in a
    flaky form. I remember some classmate of his from England telling about
    this on the talk radio back when it was a hot topic. But, people like to
    remember the salacious, not the mundane truth.....

    Talk radio? Then it *must* be true. BTW, I have some prime oceanfront
    real estate I'd like to talk with you about. <g>

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  4. Pat said:


    Quoted message said:

    "Ivan Basso said Tuesday that even though he had planned to blood dope
    for the 2006 Tour de France, he had actually never taken banned drugs
    or used blood transfusions."

    Wow!

    It seems like I remember our President saying something to the effect
    that, "he had tried it a couple of times but didn't inhale".

    Well, I don't believe him, either. :-)

    Lewis.

    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to cigarette and
    cigarette smoke. Back in the day (in the '60s) when he tried to smoke
    marijuana, it came to the U.S. in bricks. I remember Havana Gold was one of
    the types and another was green (Haiti green?). In order to smoke it, you
    had to use a knife and cut off a chunk. Then, you split a cigarette and
    inserted the chunk into the tobacco. Light the tobacco, draw in a big puff,
    and sooner or later the fire got down to the marijuana and you inhaled it.
    Bill Clinton was allergic to cigarette smoke. Ergo, he tried to do it but he
    failed. He was telling the truth. Back then, marijuana didn't come in a
    flaky form. I remember some classmate of his from England telling about
    this on the talk radio back when it was a hot topic. But, people like to
    remember the salacious, not the mundane truth.....

    I was smoking pot by 1967 in New York and we always rolled it into
    joints to smoke. It wasn't until I bummed around Europe and Morocco in
    1971 that I saw anyone mix it with tobacco. That was a problem for me
    because I never smoked tobacco and hated it. Perhaps before that
    things are like you describe, but I don't recall it. Of course, as Tom
    Paxton says, anyone who says they remember the 60's wasn't there.

    My cousin once got arrested in Morocco and his father had to come to
    get him out. As I recall, they got arrested, not for hash, which I
    believe was legal, but because they were using non-taxed tobacco. He
    caught a wonderful case of amoebic dysentery while in jail. His farts
    could travel through cement walls.


  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to cigarette
    and
    cigarette smoke. Back in the day (in the '60s) when he tried to smoke
    marijuana, it came to the U.S. in bricks. I remember Havana Gold was one
    of
    the types and another was green (Haiti green?). In order to smoke it,
    you
    had to use a knife and cut off a chunk. Then, you split a cigarette and
    inserted the chunk into the tobacco. Light the tobacco, draw in a big
    puff,
    and sooner or later the fire got down to the marijuana and you inhaled
    it.
    Bill Clinton was allergic to cigarette smoke. Ergo, he tried to do it but
    he
    failed. He was telling the truth. Back then, marijuana didn't come in a
    flaky form. I remember some classmate of his from England telling about
    this on the talk radio back when it was a hot topic. But, people like to
    remember the salacious, not the mundane truth.....

    Talk radio? Then it *must* be true. BTW, I have some prime oceanfront
    real estate I'd like to talk with you about. <g>

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    As you may not (?) know, talk radio was uniformly against Bill Clinton. The
    only part of this that is speculation is that I don't remember the name of
    the British guy who was Bill Clinton's classmate at Oxford. I know for a
    fact about the marijuana coming in bricks, etc. You must be too young to
    remember that.

    Pat in TX

    Quoted message said:
  6. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to cigarette
    and
    cigarette smoke. Back in the day (in the '60s) when he tried to smoke
    marijuana, it came to the U.S. in bricks. I remember Havana Gold was one
    of
    the types and another was green (Haiti green?). In order to smoke it,
    you
    had to use a knife and cut off a chunk. Then, you split a cigarette and
    inserted the chunk into the tobacco. Light the tobacco, draw in a big
    puff,
    and sooner or later the fire got down to the marijuana and you inhaled
    it.
    Bill Clinton was allergic to cigarette smoke. Ergo, he tried to do it but
    he
    failed. He was telling the truth. Back then, marijuana didn't come in a
    flaky form. I remember some classmate of his from England telling about
    this on the talk radio back when it was a hot topic. But, people like to
    remember the salacious, not the mundane truth.....

    Quoted message said:

    Talk radio? Then it *must* be true. BTW, I have some prime oceanfront
    real estate I'd like to talk with you about. <g>

    Quoted message said:

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    As you may not (?) know, talk radio was uniformly against Bill Clinton. The
    only part of this that is speculation is that I don't remember the name of
    the British guy who was Bill Clinton's classmate at Oxford. I know for a
    fact about the marijuana coming in bricks, etc. You must be too young to
    remember that.

    Pat in TX

    - Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Marijuana still enters the US in bales and bricks, Pat. Always has,
    always will. It has to do with both concealability and economy. That
    wasn't my point nor are political views germane. The old school
    buddy's claim is just stupid considering that BC admitted he'd smoked
    pot.
    I believe you that an old school buddy of BC's claimed "Bill never
    smoked pot" but to use an allergy to cigarettes as corroboration of
    that stupid claim is just ludicrous. The "chunks" you remember
    slipping into cigarettes were merely compressed plant material. If one
    is too fumble fingered to roll a joint it can quite easily be packed
    in a cigar (it's called "tearing up blunt" because Phillies Blunts are
    the preferred cigars to use) and we *know* he likes cigars,
    right? ;-)
    In short, don't believe everything you hear but if you *do* I still
    have a real estate deal for you. <g>

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt


  7. Quoted message said:


    Marijuana still enters the US in bales and bricks, Pat. Always has,
    always will. It has to do with both concealability and economy. That
    wasn't my point nor are political views germane. The old school
    buddy's claim is just stupid considering that BC admitted he'd smoked
    pot.

    Perhaps you are forgetting that Bill Clinton wasn't in the US during this
    time.
    When did Bill Clinton admit smoking pot? I remember him saying he tried but
    couldn't because he was allergic to cigarette smoke.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe you that an old school buddy of BC's claimed "Bill never
    smoked pot" but to use an allergy to cigarettes as corroboration of
    that stupid claim is just ludicrous. The "chunks" you remember
    slipping into cigarettes were merely compressed plant material. If one
    is too fumble fingered to roll a joint it can quite easily be packed
    in a cigar (it's called "tearing up blunt" because Phillies Blunts are
    the preferred cigars to use) and we *know* he likes cigars,
    right? ;-)

    We know he enjoys cigars now, but did he as a 21 year old? I don't know. Do
    you have proof of that? The entire discussion was about cigarettes, in
    England, in the early 60's, and him being allergic to the means of conveying
    the marijuana to the user.

    You shouldn't believe everything you hear, either. The schoolmate said what
    he did to a disbelieving conservative radio talk show host and stood by his
    comments. There were arguments and so on, but he defended each one. Do I
    believe Bill Clinton? I don't care either way. I could care less if a person
    uses marijuana. It does seem that you have decided something, though and
    have decided to believe only that which agrees with your conclusion. I just
    take people at their words until proven false.

    Pat in TX

  8. Pat said:


    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to cigarette and
    cigarette smoke...

    Right, and for sure you would know.

    Ever notice how quickly the dupes of the left (and Lenin's "useful
    idiots"😉 make excuses for criminals?


  9. Quoted message said:
    Pat said:


    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to cigarette
    and
    cigarette smoke...

    Right, and for sure you would know.

    Ever notice how quickly the dupes of the left (and Lenin's "useful
    idiots"😉 make excuses for criminals?

    What is your proof that he is not allergic? What are you a dupe of?

    Quoted message said:
  10. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:
    Pat said:


    He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to
    cigarette and
    cigarette smoke...

    Right, and for sure you would know.

    Ever notice how quickly the dupes of the left (and Lenin's "useful
    idiots"😉 make excuses for criminals?

    What is your proof that he is not allergic? What are you a dupe of?

    If Clinton was allergic, he would have said so.

    People use their best excuse first. I'd claim this as "Kruger's corrolary to
    Occam's Razor", but I'm pretty sure somebody's already claimed it.

    "Being allergic" is a heck of a lot better excuse than "didn't inhale". He
    didn't use that excuse, so it extremely unlikely that he had a known
    allergy.

  11. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:

    Marijuana still enters the US in bales and bricks, Pat. Always has,
    always will. It has to do with both concealability and economy. That
    wasn't my point nor are political views germane. The old school
    buddy's claim is just stupid considering that BC admitted he'd smoked
    pot.

    Perhaps you are forgetting that Bill Clinton wasn't in the US during this
    time.
    When did Bill Clinton admit smoking pot? I remember him saying he tried but
    couldn't because he was allergic to cigarette smoke.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe you that an old school buddy of BC's claimed "Bill never
    smoked pot" but to use an allergy to cigarettes as corroboration of
    that stupid claim is just ludicrous. The "chunks" you remember
    slipping into cigarettes were merely compressed plant material. If one
    is too fumble fingered to roll a joint it can quite easily be packed
    in a cigar (it's called "tearing up blunt" because Phillies Blunts are
    the preferred cigars to use) and we *know* he likes cigars,
    right? ;-)

    We know he enjoys cigars now, but did he as a 21 year old? I don't know. Do
    you have proof of that? The entire discussion was about cigarettes, in
    England, in the early 60's, and him being allergic to the means of conveying
    the marijuana to the user.

    You shouldn't believe everything you hear, either. The schoolmate said what
    he did to a disbelieving conservative radio talk show host and stood by his
    comments. There were arguments and so on, but he defended each one. Do I
    believe Bill Clinton? I don't care either way. I could care less if a person
    uses marijuana. It does seem that you have decided something, though and
    have decided to believe only that which agrees with your conclusion. I just
    take people at their words until proven false.

    Pat in TX

    Pat-
    I've obviously offended you either by disbelieving what you heard or
    by joking about real estate deals. No offense was meant by either. I
    try to accept people's words as truthful and what that means in this
    particular case is I believe Bill really did smoke dope just as he
    admitted. I and everyone I've ever talked to about it (except you
    apparently) simply thought that the "I didn't inhale" claim was so
    silly as to be laughable. Personally, I couldn't care less if he did
    or didn't inhale. It makes no difference in my life and doesn't change
    my opinion of him. Now can we get back to bikes?
    Regards,
    Bob Hunt


  12. Quoted message said:


    Pat-
    I've obviously offended you either by disbelieving what you heard or
    by joking about real estate deals. No offense was meant by either. I
    try to accept people's words as truthful and what that means in this
    particular case is I believe Bill really did smoke dope just as he
    admitted. I and everyone I've ever talked to about it (except you
    apparently) simply thought that the "I didn't inhale" claim was so
    silly as to be laughable. Personally, I couldn't care less if he did
    or didn't inhale. It makes no difference in my life and doesn't change
    my opinion of him. Now can we get back to bikes?
    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

    No, what I noticed about the Bill Clinton case was that people are
    extrapolating present conditions to past occurrences. It's like when people
    use today's metrics to judge something that happened in the past. Here's an
    example (other than the didn't inhale example): my mother-in-law was
    wondering why her great grandmother didn't just get her cataracts removed
    rather than going blind. I reminded her that in 1860, doctors didn't have
    the knowledge or technology that we have today. She said, "everybody knows
    about cataracts and that's no excuse!" What we know about smoking marijuana
    today just possibly is different from what they knew back in the early 60's.
    That's what the classmate testified, and I have no reason to disbelieve him
    just because people look at Bill Clinton with scorn today. I don't see any
    reason for the classmate to falsify his information.

    Pat in TX


  13. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Pat wrote:
    >
    > He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to
    > cigarette and
    > cigarette smoke...

    Right, and for sure you would know.

    Ever notice how quickly the dupes of the left (and Lenin's "useful
    idiots"😉 make excuses for criminals?

    What is your proof that he is not allergic? What are you a dupe of?

    If Clinton was allergic, he would have said so.

    But, that's the whole basis for this: he DID say he was allergic. Nobody
    believes him because they choose not to, but he did claim to be allergic to
    cigarette smoke.

    Quoted message said:


    "Being allergic" is a heck of a lot better excuse than "didn't inhale".
    He didn't use that excuse, so it extremely unlikely that he had a known
    allergy.


    He did use that excuse. He said he didn't inhale because he was allergic.
    That's what he said.

    Quoted message said:
  14. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Pat wrote:
    >>
    >> He was telling the truth, though. Bill Clinton is allergic to
    >> cigarette and
    >> cigarette smoke...
    >
    > Right, and for sure you would know.
    >
    > Ever notice how quickly the dupes of the left (and Lenin's "useful
    > idiots"😉 make excuses for criminals?

    What is your proof that he is not allergic? What are you a dupe of?

    If Clinton was allergic, he would have said so.

    But, that's the whole basis for this: he DID say he was allergic. Nobody
    believes him because they choose not to, but he did claim to be allergic to
    cigarette smoke.

    Quoted message said:


    "Being allergic" is a heck of a lot better excuse than "didn't inhale".
    He didn't use that excuse, so it extremely unlikely that he had a known
    allergy.


    He did use that excuse. He said he didn't inhale because he was allergic.
    That's what he said.

    Quoted message said:

    Critical thinking and logic not in your skill set, hmm?

    So Clinton is allergic to cigarettes but not cigars? Sure.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.