Mt Ainslie vs. Telstra Towers vs. Mt Stromlo

thomas_cho

Jan 4, 2005
To the Canberran cyclists, which one is the hardest to climb?

I need to do some hill climbing training. Which should I set my sights on first?

Also for those of you who have ridden the mounts, what is your timing? How fast were you going up? This is just so that I have some relative target to aim for.

Thanks

I ain't from Canberra but I can tell you after some racing that the climb up to Corrin dam/forrest is the hardest climb in that area (I'm fairly certain...)

Hiya Jono, I havent been to that area yet, but I take your word for it :D .

I am not really looking for the hardest, but really a training route I could do in the morning during the week. I live in the Belconnen area, so Mt Ainslie or Telstra towers is probably closest, and faster to get to.

I guess I should just go and try them out.

Jono L said:
the climb up to Corrin dam/forrest
Thomas, I'm an out of towner, I've given Corin Dam & Telstra a run. The former is great fun due grade/ length & to look back when near the top to see how far you've risen in that distance is rather exhilarating. So after you've given it a run get back to us with your story :). Telstra is a bit steeper but only about 3 ks I think

Hi Albert,
I have to confess I did once try to venture up Telstra towers (Black mountain), only to give up after about 3 mins of pedalling as I saw my heart rate rocket up to 170bpm. Also I couldnt (didnt) get up this morning to tackle the mountain.

I did do Mt Stromlo a while back, and thought that the gradient was pretty suitable for steady climbing. Pity its a bit too far for a morning training ride as it would take me too long to get there, climb, and then get back home in time to get to work.

According to the C2M website, the avg gradient of Black Mountain and Mt Ainslie is 8% while that of Stromlo is 4%. The top guy flew up stromlo at avg 32km/h. I remembered struggling to maintain 15km/h. But I have had done more kms since then, perhaps I could be ready for black mountain.

My motivation for this training is so that I dont get dropped by the group each time the road turns upwards. I have read that the formula for climbing is the power to weight ratio. To increase power, should I be consciously trying to stomp rather than trying to spin? (not that I can spin at the moment).

Failed to climb Black Mountain :( , bailed out 300m into the climb. I have to train on shallower gradients, lose more weight, before attempting it again.

thomas_cho said:
Failed to climb Black Mountain :( , bailed out 300m into the climb. I have to train on shallower gradients, lose more weight, before attempting it again.
Don't forget one thing Thomo........i've got granny on my side........30/25 :D

I have to haul 95kg up that mount. Not inclusive of bike weight! I need more than granny, maybe grandad as well.

thomas_cho said:
I have to haul 95kg up that mount. Not inclusive of bike weight! I need more than granny, maybe grandad as well.
So you'd be 6'4" tall then.... :D

Yes you don't need the hardest hill to train on. Start a little more modestly.

I haven't riden up them for a while myself and both Black Mountain and Mt Ainslie have different challenges. The worst stretch of Black Mountain is actualy at the bottom. If you can get up to the water resoviour then it eases up for a while before some more steeper but short sections near the top. Mt Ainslie starts of gradualy but gets seriously steep just before the top.

Having said that there are actualy some suitable hills right in Belconnen to train on. Tilyard Drive, Kingsford Smith Drive and Copland Drive are all decent climbs up from Ginninderra drive towards Spence and Frazer. Kingsford Smith Drive is actualy quite a big climb and its one of those climbs that starts out gradualy but gets steeper as you go. You could do a circuit climbing up Kingsford Smith, left at the very top, down Tilyard, across Ginnenderra and up Kingsford Smith again as many times as you are up for!!

Regards, Anthony

Thanks for the info Anthony. I will try out the routes you have suggested.

How is traffic on those roads? Are there bike lanes?

anthonyg said:
Kingsford Smith Drive is actualy quite a big climb and its one of those climbs that starts out gradualy but gets steeper as you go. You could do a circuit climbing up Kingsford Smith, left at the very top, down Tilyard, across Ginnenderra and up Kingsford Smith again as many times as you are up for!!
They held an Aussie amateur road title on a similar circuit years ago.

thomas_cho said:
Thanks for the info Anthony. I will try out the routes you have suggested.

How is traffic on those roads? Are there bike lanes?

No bike lanes but outside of peak commuting times they should be fairly quiet. They're inter-suburb arterial roads. I think its Karingi Drive that runs across the top from Kingsford to Tilyard and that may be hairy in peak traffic but the rest should be fine. Copeland Drive is quieter but not such a big climb.

Regards, Anthony

classic1 said:
They held an Aussie amateur road title on a similar circuit years ago.

Was that in Canberra?

I have vauge memory's of this. I think it may have been a circuit run around Bugden Ave through Fadden and Gowrie. There were suburban roads built in Canberra's southern suburbs YEARS before any houses were built and we reguarly raced around them. I think they even closed them off and raced motorcycles around them on some occasions. Bugden Ave involves a big climb and decent so its the likely candidate.

Regards, Anthony

anthonyg said:
Was that in Canberra?
Definitely Belconnen, Kingsford Smith Drive and Ginninderra Drive. 1989 IIRC. I raced in the juniors. The circuit went through residential areas and everything.

I can't remember where the team time trial was as I didn't see it, though I think it was out toward Queanbeyan somewhere.

classic1 said:
Definitely Belconnen, Kingsford Smith Drive and Ginninderra Drive. 1989 IIRC. I raced in the juniors. The circuit went through residential areas and everything.

I can't remember where the team time trial was as I didn't see it, though I think it was out toward Queanbeyan somewhere.

Thats interesting. I had stoped racing juniors by then and wasn't still involved.

Regards, Anthony

Thanks for all the input. Now I have no more excuses about no hilly training routes close by.