I spent 3 days at Mount Cook back in January.
I did the Hooker Valley, Seally Tarns and the Mueller Hut.
You won't need maps for these walks other than the simple map included in
the Park Headquarters leaflet.
The routes are well signposted, and the first two are BUSY!!
The Hooker Valley is very easy. The walk to Seally Tarns is very steep, but
not particularly difficult.
The Mueller Hut walk is the best walk in my opinion. You follow the route to
Seally Tarns (the tarns
themselves are a bit of a dissapointment, but the views great) and continue
up very steeply to
meet a a great ridge which you follow (a bit of scrambling) to the hut. The
views over the Mueller Glacier are incredible and
I saw several icefalls/avalanches.
After Seally Tarns the route becomes far less busy. You can continue a
little way to the summit of Mount Ollivier,
the first mountain Sir Edmund Hillary climbed (as a lad, I'd guess). I
didn't do this when I went as it was through snow
from the hut and I wasn't really equipped.
Naturally, the conditions vary on all these walks depending on the time of
year and I can only speak for the
New Zealand summer. The Mueller Hut/Seally Tarns route is prone to
avalanches between April and
November, so probably best avoided at that time!
Oh, by the way, the times given at the National Park headquarters and in the
leaflets are way out, in my experience.
For the Mueller Hut they reckon 4 hours up and 3 hours down and even
recommend staying overnight in the hut. I went
up and back in about 3 and a half hours and I'm an old bloke of 52!
You'll have a great time at Mount Cook - the views are tremendous.
There are more difficult walks in the area, obviously, but you'll need a
guide for those and there
is a guide center near the hotel.
David Gibbins
"Michael Chare" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Has anyone been to Mt Cook in NewZealand and are willing to share the
experience.
I am considering a little walking (or tramping as the locals apear to call
it) maybe to the Sealy Tarns or up the Hooker valley. Nominal 4 hour
return walks.
Can I treat it like a day out in Snowdonia? Can you buy scale maps
(1:25,000) on which you can determine your position with a GPS?
--
Michael Chare