"Michael J. Klein" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:31:27 +0800, "Marty Wallace" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
"Michael J. Klein" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:On 29 Oct 2004 11:32:00 GMT, qtq <[email hidden]>
wrote:
>Artur Yelchishchev <[email hidden]> wrote in
>news:[email hidden]:
>
>> Excuse me, but this is fundamentally impossible. The distance
between
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>> peaks of the wave and the frequensy are the two parameters of the
same
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:>> thing - if you know the frequency, you know the wavelenght, and vice
>> versa.
>
>That's utter [censored].
>
>I can give you lots of frequencies for which you don't know the
wavelength.
Quoted message said:>
>1 radian/sec.
>
>2 radian/sec.
>
>3 radian/sec.
>
>We could go on forever.
>
>99 radians/sec in r.b.t,
>99 radians/sec
>Slow it down, spin it around,
>98 radians/sec in r.b.t
Frequency is a unit of measure based on the number of cycles per
second.
Well if you want to be pedantic then that's not true.
Hertz is a unit of frequency based on a one second time base. Frequency
can
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:be measured in any time base. How frequent something happens can also be
measured in other units besides time.
Marty
Yes Marty, quite correct. However, during the time have have held
both the FCC GROL and Amateur Extra class licenses, and built all
those radio stations, all my work was done in the time base of
seconds. I'm sure somewhere, someone is working with something else.
Just no one I know in the broadcast world.
I think you meant "other units besides seconds" since everything is
based on time. Everything.
Michael J. Klein [email hidden]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
---------------------------------------------
I still disagree.
A dictionary definition is:
fre·quen·cy (frkwn-s)
n. pl. fre·quen·cies
1.. The property or condition of occurring at frequent intervals.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=frequency
So it doesn't have to be in units of time, it can be anything that occurs at
frequent intervals.
When I swim I measure my stroke frequency in strokes per pool length. Or you
could have a frequency of beers per packet of crisps!
Anythings possible.
I also have a radio license.
Marty Wallace
VK6ABC
(Check out my callsign in the WIA Callbook)