mtb tools and things to have

LBguy

May 21, 2004
Im really new to mountain biking and just want to get a 'wish list' together of essentials I will need.

So far I have: bike (trek 3700), i know it's a bit on the cheap side but im a poor college kid who just needed something to learn on. Also just ordered some biking shorts, have a helmet, gloves, and I already had a mini-pump.

I plan on getting . . . .
camelbak (any recommedations?)
tools (what do i need and recommendations? anything try this? )
chain lube
first aid kit?

thanks
-george

Originally posted by LBguy
Im really new to mountain biking and just want to get a 'wish list' together of essentials I will need.

So far I have: bike (trek 3700), i know it's a bit on the cheap side but im a poor college kid who just needed something to learn on. Also just ordered some biking shorts, have a helmet, gloves, and I already had a mini-pump.

I plan on getting . . . .
camelbak (any recommedations?)
tools (what do i need and recommendations? anything try this? )
chain lube
first aid kit?

thanks
-george

camelbak.... get as big as you can ever use.... you don't need to load it for short rides. Often on sale... shop around.

Tools.... get your ideas at Park Tool:

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/toollists.shtml>

There are other good manufacturers such as Pedros. Sometimes you can find a package deal. Learn how to use them via the reapir help section on Park Tool and Sheldon Brown's web pages.

First aid kit is a good idea too, but besides some basic.... maybe a "backpacker" version with anti-septic wipes.

Mini-tool, spare tube(s) (I carry mine in a Ziplock bag with talc in the bag), under saddle bag like Topeaks Survival:

<http://www.topeak.com/2004/products/bag_016.html>

Take a copy of your drivers licence and health care insurance card with you. I laminated mine so they stay in shape when you get caught in the rain. Have a cell phone in the saddle bag... I put mine in a ziplock bag.

when you come to purchasing a hydration system, may I recommend the Hydrapack range. Much better than the Camelback range.
i have owned and used both, and after a lot of research I replaced the Camel back with Hydrapack Tracker. holds all I need plus 2 litre of fluid. storage is restricted with full fluid level, but i don't carry much. the biggest advantage of the hydra over the camel is the bladder and hose/mouth piece design.
tools, i use a topeak hummer. Quite cheap and can almost pull a bike apart. Another good too is the BBB tool. Cheap and includes some spanners. The 6mm allen key is the most important item for tightening stuff though. Not spanners. The tyre levers on the hummer aren't good for tight tyres, I've snapped both of mine. But are fine for not so tight ones.
Agreed, check out park tools site. Depending on your mechanical requirements you can invest a lot of money in tools. **** ones break and also can damage the components.
I really like the Pedros tyre levers. Lifetime guarantee and are the strongest i've seen.
at a minimum for trail, have tyre levers that are not going to break, and are not metal!
6mm allen key. (can almost pull bike apart with one of these).
chain tool.
Pump!!!
patch kit, either for tubeless or tubed. zip ties, electrical tape. Can be used for holding holding tyre in a Z shape with bad puncture in middle of Z, will be enough to get you home if you run out of tubes or patches. also can hold bad lacerations together. I currently have a combined total of 26 stitches in my knees, great hey. Electrical tape can hold you together if you need it, hold bandage on etc.
All this fits in the Hydrapack Tracker, along with a vegemite sandwich and some jelly beans.

Hope this helps,
Scott.
Sydney Australia.