Mudguards

Alan Paterson

Guest
I'm looking for a set of mudguards for my Mountain bike, the slicks are
really throwing the rain into my face and all up my bum. Need some
protection.!

Anyone know where I can get a half decent set, had a look at wiggle but
didn't really fancy any they had there.

Cheers.

Wet bum.

"Alan Paterson @blueyonder.co.uk>" <apsw07048<SPAM> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a set of mudguards for my Mountain bike, the slicks are
> really throwing the rain into my face and all up my bum. Need some
> protection.!
>
> Anyone know where I can get a half decent set, had a look at wiggle but
> didn't really fancy any they had there.

If it's a rigid bike SKS are arguably the best (well, I use 'em anyway).
SKS also make good clip on ones for front and rear sus (I use front
Shockboard & rear X-tra Dry).

Pete

> If it's a rigid bike SKS are arguably the best (well, I use 'em anyway).
> SKS also make good clip on ones for front and rear sus (I use front
> Shockboard & rear X-tra Dry).
>
> Pete

No it has suspension I'm afraid. And a set of Marzocchi bomber 2002's on
the front.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:12:55 GMT, Alan Paterson
<apsw07048<[email protected]>> wrote:

>> If it's a rigid bike SKS are arguably the best (well, I use 'em anyway).
>> SKS also make good clip on ones for front and rear sus (I use front
>> Shockboard & rear X-tra Dry).
>>
>> Pete

> No it has suspension I'm afraid. And a set of Marzocchi bomber 2002's
> on
> the front.

For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher. These
are great at protecting riders from mud, but riding through rain the front
one seems to collect all the water that would have ended up in your face
and dropping it right onto your feet as you ride. Just as demoralising as
a wet face after a while.

If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find some
full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts might
be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket - one on
the bridge, and one at the bottom of each slider.

Bear in mind that on the back of the bike top-swing front mech cables go
where a conventional mudguard fits, also that V-brakes can catch against
the side, so you will probably need to do some surgery on the mudguards
with a file/hacksaw.

Obviously, this setup will look home-made, but on the road it will
revolutionise your ride, so who cares?

Show us what you do.

Chris

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me

"Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

>> For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher.

I disagree. Crud Catchers are ok for keeping animal **** and a bit of mud
off the face but I find the Shockboard much better as it steers with the
wheel and covers a greater arc around it giving much better protection.
(Based on my own practical experience of some 10 years with Crud Catchers
and last winter with a Shockboard, plus friends experiences).
Hence when it's dry I use a Crudcatcher but fit the Shockboard for the
remaining 98% of the year :)
(Shockboards and similar clip on/off quickly to an expander in the base of
the steerer).

Regards,
Pete

> (Shockboards and similar clip on/off quickly to an expander in the base of
> the steerer).
>
> Regards,
> Pete

Where can I see a set of these Pete?

in message <[email protected]>, A.
Paterson ('apsw07048<spam') wrote:

>> (Shockboards and similar clip on/off quickly to an expander in the
>> base of the steerer).

> Where can I see a set of these Pete?

Wiggle, among other places.
<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/search_results_manu.asp?Manufacturer=SKS&Category=Mudguards>

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

"Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find some
> full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts might
> be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket -

Good idea. I used plastic capacitor clips to fit mudguard stays to the large
dia rigid Tange "Big Fork" on my roadised Trek mtb. Never thought of
attaching something to the bridge of sus forks though.

Regards,
Pete

"Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher. These
> are great at protecting riders from mud, but riding through rain the front
> one seems to collect all the water that would have ended up in your face
> and dropping it right onto your feet as you ride. Just as demoralising as
> a wet face after a while.
>
> If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find some
> full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts might
> be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket - one on
> the bridge, and one at the bottom of each slider.
>
> Bear in mind that on the back of the bike top-swing front mech cables go
> where a conventional mudguard fits, also that V-brakes can catch against
> the side, so you will probably need to do some surgery on the mudguards
> with a file/hacksaw.
>
> Obviously, this setup will look home-made, but on the road it will
> revolutionise your ride, so who cares?

For a really homemade look, you can follow the instructions at

http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html

....you are morally obliged to post JPEGs if you do this :)
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:33:27 +0200, Mark South <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>
>> For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher.
>> These
>> are great at protecting riders from mud, but riding through rain the
>> front
>> one seems to collect all the water that would have ended up in your face
>> and dropping it right onto your feet as you ride. Just as demoralising
>> as
>> a wet face after a while.
>>
>> If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find
>> some
>> full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts
>> might
>> be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket - one on
>> the bridge, and one at the bottom of each slider.
>>
>> Bear in mind that on the back of the bike top-swing front mech cables go
>> where a conventional mudguard fits, also that V-brakes can catch against
>> the side, so you will probably need to do some surgery on the mudguards
>> with a file/hacksaw.
>>
>> Obviously, this setup will look home-made, but on the road it will
>> revolutionise your ride, so who cares?

> For a really homemade look, you can follow the instructions at
>
> http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html
>
> ...you are morally obliged to post JPEGs if you do this :)

That's fantastic! On quite a tasty bike too.

--

OK Chris, no more bike **** for you.!