Mudguards

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alan Paterson, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. I'm looking for a set of mudguards for my Mountain bike, the slicks are
    really throwing the rain into my face and all up my bum. Need some
    protection.!

    Anyone know where I can get a half decent set, had a look at wiggle but
    didn't really fancy any they had there.

    Cheers.

    Wet bum.

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Alan Paterson @blueyonder.co.uk>" <apsw07048<SPAM> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm looking for a set of mudguards for my Mountain bike, the slicks are
    > really throwing the rain into my face and all up my bum. Need some
    > protection.!
    >
    > Anyone know where I can get a half decent set, had a look at wiggle but
    > didn't really fancy any they had there.

    If it's a rigid bike SKS are arguably the best (well, I use 'em anyway).
    SKS also make good clip on ones for front and rear sus (I use front
    Shockboard & rear X-tra Dry).

    Pete

  3. > If it's a rigid bike SKS are arguably the best (well, I use 'em anyway).
    > SKS also make good clip on ones for front and rear sus (I use front
    > Shockboard & rear X-tra Dry).
    >
    > Pete

    No it has suspension I'm afraid. And a set of Marzocchi bomber 2002's on
    the front.

  4. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:12:55 GMT, Alan Paterson
    <apsw07048<[email protected]>> wrote:

    >> If it's a rigid bike SKS are arguably the best (well, I use 'em anyway).
    >> SKS also make good clip on ones for front and rear sus (I use front
    >> Shockboard & rear X-tra Dry).
    >>
    >> Pete

    > No it has suspension I'm afraid. And a set of Marzocchi bomber 2002's
    > on
    > the front.

    For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher. These
    are great at protecting riders from mud, but riding through rain the front
    one seems to collect all the water that would have ended up in your face
    and dropping it right onto your feet as you ride. Just as demoralising as
    a wet face after a while.

    If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find some
    full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts might
    be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket - one on
    the bridge, and one at the bottom of each slider.

    Bear in mind that on the back of the bike top-swing front mech cables go
    where a conventional mudguard fits, also that V-brakes can catch against
    the side, so you will probably need to do some surgery on the mudguards
    with a file/hacksaw.

    Obviously, this setup will look home-made, but on the road it will
    revolutionise your ride, so who cares?

    Show us what you do.

    Chris

    --
    |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
    Remove the bars to contact me

  5. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    >> For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher.

    I disagree. Crud Catchers are ok for keeping animal crap and a bit of mud
    off the face but I find the Shockboard much better as it steers with the
    wheel and covers a greater arc around it giving much better protection.
    (Based on my own practical experience of some 10 years with Crud Catchers
    and last winter with a Shockboard, plus friends experiences).
    Hence when it's dry I use a Crudcatcher but fit the Shockboard for the
    remaining 98% of the year :)
    (Shockboards and similar clip on/off quickly to an expander in the base of
    the steerer).

    Regards,
    Pete

  6. A. Paterson

    A. Paterson Guest

    > (Shockboards and similar clip on/off quickly to an expander in the base of
    > the steerer).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Pete

    Where can I see a set of these Pete?

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, A.
    Paterson ('apsw07048<spam') wrote:

    >> (Shockboards and similar clip on/off quickly to an expander in the
    >> base of the steerer).

    > Where can I see a set of these Pete?

    Wiggle, among other places.
    <URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/search_results_manu.asp?Manufacturer=SKS&Category=Mudguards>

    ...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find some
    > full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts might
    > be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket -

    Good idea. I used plastic capacitor clips to fit mudguard stays to the large
    dia rigid Tange "Big Fork" on my roadised Trek mtb. Never thought of
    attaching something to the bridge of sus forks though.

    Regards,
    Pete

  9. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher. These
    > are great at protecting riders from mud, but riding through rain the front
    > one seems to collect all the water that would have ended up in your face
    > and dropping it right onto your feet as you ride. Just as demoralising as
    > a wet face after a while.
    >
    > If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find some
    > full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts might
    > be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket - one on
    > the bridge, and one at the bottom of each slider.
    >
    > Bear in mind that on the back of the bike top-swing front mech cables go
    > where a conventional mudguard fits, also that V-brakes can catch against
    > the side, so you will probably need to do some surgery on the mudguards
    > with a file/hacksaw.
    >
    > Obviously, this setup will look home-made, but on the road it will
    > revolutionise your ride, so who cares?

    For a really homemade look, you can follow the instructions at

    http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html

    ....you are morally obliged to post JPEGs if you do this :)
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  10. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:33:27 +0200, Mark South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > "Chris Davies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >
    >> For a "proper" MTB I think the original is the best - Crud catcher.
    >> These
    >> are great at protecting riders from mud, but riding through rain the
    >> front
    >> one seems to collect all the water that would have ended up in your face
    >> and dropping it right onto your feet as you ride. Just as demoralising
    >> as
    >> a wet face after a while.
    >>
    >> If you don't plan to use the bike to go off road I would try to find
    >> some
    >> full length ones and modify them to fit. The lack of holes for nuts
    >> might
    >> be fixable by fitting three p-clips or similar kind of bracket - one on
    >> the bridge, and one at the bottom of each slider.
    >>
    >> Bear in mind that on the back of the bike top-swing front mech cables go
    >> where a conventional mudguard fits, also that V-brakes can catch against
    >> the side, so you will probably need to do some surgery on the mudguards
    >> with a file/hacksaw.
    >>
    >> Obviously, this setup will look home-made, but on the road it will
    >> revolutionise your ride, so who cares?

    > For a really homemade look, you can follow the instructions at
    >
    > http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html
    >
    > ...you are morally obliged to post JPEGs if you do this :)

    That's fantastic! On quite a tasty bike too.

    --
    |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
    Remove the bars to contact me

  11. A. Paterson

    A. Paterson Guest

    > That's fantastic! On quite a tasty bike too.
    >
    > --
    > |C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
    > Remove the bars to contact me

    OK Chris, no more bike porn for you.!