Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Muzi/Frame builders: Modifying vertical to horizontal dropouts

Started by Phil, Squid-in-Training · · Last activity · 6 posts · 987 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 July 2005
Last activity
14 July 2005
Original author
Phil, Squid-in-Training
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
987
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Before I start, I would like to say that my following idea is foolish,
    because that's probably what everyone's reaction is going to be. Okay, now
    I'll start.

    I want to convert the dropouts on my aluminum frame from vertical to
    horizontal. It's a Giant XTC frame with 4.35mm dropouts that get to 6.5mm
    thick just at the locknuts.

    First of all, I know that frames are heat-treated to enhance their strength.
    I also know that welding something on will screw up the grain structure and
    locally kill off the heat treatment in the area, producing the heat-affected
    zone. And yes, messing with dropouts is also risky business. My reasons
    for doing this are that the frame was free (and cracked previously, but more
    on that later). I've also been doing some machine shop work that allows me
    to work on these projects, so it's kind of a matter of pride and exercising
    the limited amount of engineering skill I've learned since starting
    undergrad.

    Here's a picture of my plan:
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/dropout.jpg

    Okay so in the picture above I want to cut out the yellow portion of the
    dropout, and then weld on the green highlighted area. I figure that since
    the frame takes the weight of the bike and person on the axle of the wheel,
    the upper portion of the dropout is really the only part that takes the
    load. I'm also thinking that the bottom portion of the dropout, load-wise,
    is there almost exclusively to retain the wheel in the dropout and to
    balance the upper half of the clamping skewer face. Therefore, it should be
    okay to just weld on a bottom plate of the same thickness so as to offer the
    skewer some biting surface.

    Am I totally off-base here?

    The cutouts on the chainstay portion of the dropout make me nervous, as it
    will be close to the heat-affected zone, and may pose a problem if a bottom
    part of a horizontal dropout is welded on.

    I will be using v-brakes in this application, not disc brakes.

    I welcome any constructive thoughts that further progress on this topic. If
    you want to tell me to buy a new frame or that I'm crazy, you're probably
    right, but I want to try this, even if it does fail after a while.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  2. Squid-in-Training said:

    Before I start, I would like to say that my following idea is foolish,
    because that's probably what everyone's reaction is going to be. Okay, now
    I'll start.

    I want to convert the dropouts on my aluminum frame from vertical to
    horizontal. It's a Giant XTC frame with 4.35mm dropouts that get to 6.5mm
    thick just at the locknuts.

    First of all, I know that frames are heat-treated to enhance their strength.
    I also know that welding something on will screw up the grain structure and
    locally kill off the heat treatment in the area, producing the heat-affected
    zone. And yes, messing with dropouts is also risky business. My reasons
    for doing this are that the frame was free (and cracked previously, but more
    on that later). I've also been doing some machine shop work that allows me
    to work on these projects, so it's kind of a matter of pride and exercising
    the limited amount of engineering skill I've learned since starting
    undergrad.

    Here's a picture of my plan:
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/dropout.jpg

    Okay so in the picture above I want to cut out the yellow portion of the
    dropout, and then weld on the green highlighted area. I figure that since
    the frame takes the weight of the bike and person on the axle of the wheel,
    the upper portion of the dropout is really the only part that takes the
    load. I'm also thinking that the bottom portion of the dropout, load-wise,
    is there almost exclusively to retain the wheel in the dropout and to
    balance the upper half of the clamping skewer face. Therefore, it should be
    okay to just weld on a bottom plate of the same thickness so as to offer the
    skewer some biting surface.

    Am I totally off-base here?

    The cutouts on the chainstay portion of the dropout make me nervous, as it
    will be close to the heat-affected zone, and may pose a problem if a bottom
    part of a horizontal dropout is welded on.

    I will be using v-brakes in this application, not disc brakes.

    I welcome any constructive thoughts that further progress on this topic. If
    you want to tell me to buy a new frame or that I'm crazy, you're probably
    right, but I want to try this, even if it does fail after a while.

    Hi Phil, how's the squid training?

    Me not an engineer and don't even play one on TV. And I know TIG can do all
    sorts of cool stuff, but I'd have more trust in a fabricated aluminum dropout
    that was cut to fit and then installed at the ends of the stays.

    It just looks like a lot of fill while welding and will require all the cutting
    and shaping work is done in an awkward location, on the bike at the end of the
    whippy stays. If you fabricate dropouts all your cutting and shaping work is
    off the bike and the wheel gets clamped to a single homogenous piece of metal.
    Cutting the old drops off the stays means that you won't be reheating the
    previously heat affected area.

    Just seems cleaner to me.

    That said, I've got no doubt your proposal will work and that with your craft
    and patience will turn out sound and looking good. I'm pretty sure it won't have
    the same ultimate strength, but am also pretty sure it won't try to kill you
    either.

    Ron

  3. Phil said:

    Before I start, I would like to say that my following idea is foolish,
    because that's probably what everyone's reaction is going to be. Okay, now
    I'll start.

    I want to convert the dropouts on my aluminum frame from vertical to
    horizontal. It's a Giant XTC frame with 4.35mm dropouts that get to 6.5mm
    thick just at the locknuts.

    First of all, I know that frames are heat-treated to enhance their strength.
    I also know that welding something on will screw up the grain structure and
    locally kill off the heat treatment in the area, producing the heat-affected
    zone. And yes, messing with dropouts is also risky business. My reasons
    for doing this are that the frame was free (and cracked previously, but more
    on that later). I've also been doing some machine shop work that allows me
    to work on these projects, so it's kind of a matter of pride and exercising
    the limited amount of engineering skill I've learned since starting
    undergrad.

    Here's a picture of my plan:
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/dropout.jpg

    there's some very important design features on that existing dropout
    that you need to pay attention to.

    1. apart from the hanger socket, it's massively thick. that is to buy
    time against fatigue.

    2. *everything is radiused*, even the root of the hanger socket cutout.
    again, that's to buy time against fatigue.

    3. note that they are not straight butt welds, but the face with both
    tubes is angled. again, fatigue, buy time, etc.

    now, having noted the above and taken them to heart, and overlooking the
    heat treating & welding issues for the time being, i think your best
    choice is to machine whole new dropouts that replicate as best as
    possible all the above features but with your new horizontal slot
    incorporated. you're going to need a fairly sophisticated machining
    program to do that, so i guess it depends on what you have access to.
    when you have the new parts, cut off the old dropouts through the center
    of the existing welds, prep & weld.

    you'll need to figure out what alloy the frame is, select dropout
    material accordingly and do yourself an appropriate new heat treatment,
    but if you do all that, are a good clean welder & have a good design,
    there's no reason why you can't have fatigue properties for the modified
    frame very close to that of the original.

    i think that if you just try to weld a bit onto the existing dropout,
    results will be unsatisfactory because excess material has already been
    machined away so you'll be welding to something too small for the job.

    Quoted message said:


    Okay so in the picture above I want to cut out the yellow portion of the
    dropout, and then weld on the green highlighted area. I figure that since
    the frame takes the weight of the bike and person on the axle of the wheel,
    the upper portion of the dropout is really the only part that takes the
    load. I'm also thinking that the bottom portion of the dropout, load-wise,
    is there almost exclusively to retain the wheel in the dropout and to
    balance the upper half of the clamping skewer face. Therefore, it should be
    okay to just weld on a bottom plate of the same thickness so as to offer the
    skewer some biting surface.

    Am I totally off-base here?

    if you have access to a good machine facility & heat treatment facility
    - maybe even outsourcing that bit - no, it's definitely do-able. i'm
    more worried that you're contemplating using a frame that's already
    cracked. how do you propose repairing that bit? much better to get
    another uncracked frame as a starting point.

    Quoted message said:


    The cutouts on the chainstay portion of the dropout make me nervous, as it
    will be close to the heat-affected zone, and may pose a problem if a bottom
    part of a horizontal dropout is welded on.

    I will be using v-brakes in this application, not disc brakes.

    I welcome any constructive thoughts that further progress on this topic. If
    you want to tell me to buy a new frame or that I'm crazy, you're probably
    right, but I want to try this, even if it does fail after a while.

  4. jim beam said:
    Phil said:

    Before I start, I would like to say that my following idea is foolish,
    because that's probably what everyone's reaction is going to be. Okay, now
    I'll start.

    I want to convert the dropouts on my aluminum frame from vertical to
    horizontal. It's a Giant XTC frame with 4.35mm dropouts that get to 6.5mm
    thick just at the locknuts.

    First of all, I know that frames are heat-treated to enhance their strength.
    I also know that welding something on will screw up the grain structure and
    locally kill off the heat treatment in the area, producing the heat-affected
    zone. And yes, messing with dropouts is also risky business. My reasons
    for doing this are that the frame was free (and cracked previously, but more
    on that later). I've also been doing some machine shop work that allows me
    to work on these projects, so it's kind of a matter of pride and exercising
    the limited amount of engineering skill I've learned since starting
    undergrad.

    Here's a picture of my plan:
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/dropout.jpg


    My news service bit the dust... using Google Groups currently.

    Quoted message said:

    there's some very important design features on that existing dropout
    that you need to pay attention to.

    1. apart from the hanger socket, it's massively thick. that is to buy
    time against fatigue.

    2. *everything is radiused*, even the root of the hanger socket cutout.
    again, that's to buy time against fatigue.

    3. note that they are not straight butt welds, but the face with both
    tubes is angled. again, fatigue, buy time, etc.

    now, having noted the above and taken them to heart, and overlooking the
    heat treating & welding issues for the time being, i think your best
    choice is to machine whole new dropouts that replicate as best as
    possible all the above features but with your new horizontal slot
    incorporated. you're going to need a fairly sophisticated machining
    program to do that, so i guess it depends on what you have access to.
    when you have the new parts, cut off the old dropouts through the center
    of the existing welds, prep & weld.

    you'll need to figure out what alloy the frame is, select dropout
    material accordingly and do yourself an appropriate new heat treatment,
    but if you do all that, are a good clean welder & have a good design,
    there's no reason why you can't have fatigue properties for the modified
    frame very close to that of the original.

    I won't be doing any heat treatment to this modification.

    Quoted message said:

    i think that if you just try to weld a bit onto the existing dropout,
    results will be unsatisfactory because excess material has already been
    machined away so you'll be welding to something too small for the job.

    Yes - I spoke to the machine shop student and he suggested cutting out
    the yellow section as I thought before, but then placing a horizontal
    dropout inset that is shaped almost identically to the derailleur
    hanger with the radii and everything, which would then be welded in
    place far away from the tubing, isolating the heat-affected zone in the
    thick beefy aluminum dropout portion. A similar process would be done
    for the non-drive-side dropout, too.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Okay so in the picture above I want to cut out the yellow portion of the
    dropout, and then weld on the green highlighted area. I figure that since
    the frame takes the weight of the bike and person on the axle of the wheel,
    the upper portion of the dropout is really the only part that takes the
    load. I'm also thinking that the bottom portion of the dropout, load-wise,
    is there almost exclusively to retain the wheel in the dropout and to
    balance the upper half of the clamping skewer face. Therefore, it should be
    okay to just weld on a bottom plate of the same thickness so as to offer the
    skewer some biting surface.

    Am I totally off-base here?

    if you have access to a good machine facility & heat treatment facility
    - maybe even outsourcing that bit - no, it's definitely do-able. i'm
    more worried that you're contemplating using a frame that's already
    cracked. how do you propose repairing that bit? much better to get
    another uncracked frame as a starting point.

    There was a crack in the chainstay near the BB and right at the brace
    that holds the two chainstays together. Here is a picture:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs1.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs2.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs3.jpg

    Yes, the welds are contaminated and are amateurish... I didn't weld it
    myself but the person who did has had some experience already but
    nothing expert.

    Phil

  5. In message <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Before I start, I would like to say that my following idea is foolish,
    because that's probably what everyone's reaction is going to be. Okay, now
    I'll start.

    I want to convert the dropouts on my aluminum frame from vertical to
    horizontal. It's a Giant XTC frame with 4.35mm dropouts that get to 6.5mm
    thick just at the locknuts.

    First of all, I know that frames are heat-treated to enhance their
    strength.
    I also know that welding something on will screw up the grain structure and
    locally kill off the heat treatment in the area, producing the
    heat-affected
    zone. And yes, messing with dropouts is also risky business. My reasons
    for doing this are that the frame was free (and cracked previously,
    but more
    on that later). I've also been doing some machine shop work that allows me
    to work on these projects, so it's kind of a matter of pride

    The metal does not care about our financial circumstances, motivations
    or feelings of pride. It will behave very much as the text books says
    for you, for me, or for the most expert frame builder working for a
    celebrity customer.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    cracked. how do you propose repairing that bit? much better to get
    another uncracked frame as a starting point.

    There was a crack in the chainstay near the BB and right at the brace
    that holds the two chainstays together. Here is a picture:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs1.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs2.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs3.jpg

    Yes, the welds are contaminated and are amateurish... I didn't weld it
    myself but the person who did has had some experience already but
    nothing expert.


    It does look like there are some bubbles in there but depending on the
    choice of filler alloy and just how poor the weld is inside you may find
    the frame fails in the weakened metal around the fused joint (the
    heat-affected zone) and not in the weld.

    Do you know what alloy the frame is made from, what temper it was at and
    the filler alloy used in this attempt to fix the cracks?

    Have you used the frame much since the attempted repair? I would not
    trust a frame that was designed for post fabrication heat treatment
    after a casual weld repair and no heat treatment.

    If you want a frame for single speed, how about finding a scratched but
    sound steel frame from the period before vertical dropouts became
    general?

    --

    Martyn Aldis, e-mail [email hidden]
    ==============================================================================

  6. Quoted message said:
    jim beam said:
    Phil said:

    Before I start, I would like to say that my following idea is foolish,
    because that's probably what everyone's reaction is going to be. Okay, now
    I'll start.

    I want to convert the dropouts on my aluminum frame from vertical to
    horizontal. It's a Giant XTC frame with 4.35mm dropouts that get to 6.5mm
    thick just at the locknuts.

    First of all, I know that frames are heat-treated to enhance their strength.
    I also know that welding something on will screw up the grain structure and
    locally kill off the heat treatment in the area, producing the heat-affected
    zone. And yes, messing with dropouts is also risky business. My reasons
    for doing this are that the frame was free (and cracked previously, but more
    on that later). I've also been doing some machine shop work that allows me
    to work on these projects, so it's kind of a matter of pride and exercising
    the limited amount of engineering skill I've learned since starting
    undergrad.

    Here's a picture of my plan:
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/dropout.jpg


    My news service bit the dust... using Google Groups currently.

    Quoted message said:

    there's some very important design features on that existing dropout
    that you need to pay attention to.

    1. apart from the hanger socket, it's massively thick. that is to buy
    time against fatigue.

    2. *everything is radiused*, even the root of the hanger socket cutout.
    again, that's to buy time against fatigue.

    3. note that they are not straight butt welds, but the face with both
    tubes is angled. again, fatigue, buy time, etc.

    now, having noted the above and taken them to heart, and overlooking the
    heat treating & welding issues for the time being, i think your best
    choice is to machine whole new dropouts that replicate as best as
    possible all the above features but with your new horizontal slot
    incorporated. you're going to need a fairly sophisticated machining
    program to do that, so i guess it depends on what you have access to.
    when you have the new parts, cut off the old dropouts through the center
    of the existing welds, prep & weld.

    you'll need to figure out what alloy the frame is, select dropout
    material accordingly and do yourself an appropriate new heat treatment,
    but if you do all that, are a good clean welder & have a good design,
    there's no reason why you can't have fatigue properties for the modified
    frame very close to that of the original.

    I won't be doing any heat treatment to this modification.

    Quoted message said:

    i think that if you just try to weld a bit onto the existing dropout,
    results will be unsatisfactory because excess material has already been
    machined away so you'll be welding to something too small for the job.

    Yes - I spoke to the machine shop student and he suggested cutting out
    the yellow section as I thought before, but then placing a horizontal
    dropout inset that is shaped almost identically to the derailleur
    hanger with the radii and everything, which would then be welded in
    place far away from the tubing, isolating the heat-affected zone in the
    thick beefy aluminum dropout portion. A similar process would be done
    for the non-drive-side dropout, too.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Okay so in the picture above I want to cut out the yellow portion of the
    dropout, and then weld on the green highlighted area. I figure that since
    the frame takes the weight of the bike and person on the axle of the wheel,
    the upper portion of the dropout is really the only part that takes the
    load. I'm also thinking that the bottom portion of the dropout, load-wise,
    is there almost exclusively to retain the wheel in the dropout and to
    balance the upper half of the clamping skewer face. Therefore, it should be
    okay to just weld on a bottom plate of the same thickness so as to offer the
    skewer some biting surface.

    Am I totally off-base here?

    if you have access to a good machine facility & heat treatment facility
    - maybe even outsourcing that bit - no, it's definitely do-able. i'm
    more worried that you're contemplating using a frame that's already
    cracked. how do you propose repairing that bit? much better to get
    another uncracked frame as a starting point.

    There was a crack in the chainstay near the BB and right at the brace
    that holds the two chainstays together. Here is a picture:

    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs1.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs2.jpg
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/stuff/cs3.jpg

    Yes, the welds are contaminated and are amateurish... I didn't weld it
    myself but the person who did has had some experience already but
    nothing expert.

    Phil


    cringe. phil, it you want to ride that thing, you're a braver man than
    me. if i were lookng for a cheapo ride, i'd get one of these:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&sku=14905&brand=

    or

    http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=26065&lsubcat_id=1818&lcat_id=7604&referpage=

    and an eno hub.

    seriously, some things are worth repairing, some aren't. your frame is
    definitely a case of the latter. if you want to learn how to weld
    aluminum frames, cut your frame up & weld back together, but don't ride
    it and expect it to hold very long. when you have your welding down,
    extend to heat treatment. then tube sets. you could build your own
    frame with the right tube set.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.