rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

My 3 unis getting Powder coating!

Started by terrybigwheel · · Last activity · 8 posts · 258 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
5 May 2006
Last activity
7 May 2006
Original author
terrybigwheel
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
258
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I made a deal with a local P. Coating shop; I get all three of my unis
    (24" Torker DX, 20" Summit trials, coker) custom done in
    colors/textures of my choice, including Pearls, metallics and others.
    The deal is that in exchange i will tune his sisters piano! Sveet! So
    I'm dropping all of them off next week to be sand-blasted and p.
    coated. He's gonna do the cranks, seat-post and clamps as well! I
    wonder if it would be practical to do the pedals too! I'll be posting
    the pics later.😄

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. 😎

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! 😄
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

  2. Coolness.

    My uni is powder-coated black and it looks really nice, have you
    decided what colours to get yet? Pearlescent would be pretty cool!

    --
    domesticated ape

    i like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

  3. if you powdercoat the seat post you will lose all adjustability....but i
    figure you know this...i guess you don't move your seat around much...

    John

    --
    j5isalive
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    j5isalive's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11667
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

  4. Don't forget that the powder coating adds about a mm or two of thickness
    to everything and that sand blasting can damage aluminum. Also try to
    find a very thin or particularly durable coating. I got a coating that
    was said to prevent rust and such and although it looks great and I
    really like the feel, it gouges, not just scratchs and is quite
    noticeable.

    --
    ntappin
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

  5. j5isalive said:

    if you powdercoat the seat post you will lose all adjustability....but i
    figure you know this...i guess you don't move your seat around much...

    John

    Yeah, I thought about that. SInce I keep the same basic height
    adjustment, maybe I'll just get the exposed area coated. I wonder what
    kind of paint, if not powder coating, was used *originally* on the
    summit and torker seat posts.😕 I surmised that if I remove
    the old paint, then the new coating wouldn't make much difference in
    thickness..

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Impotence: Nature's Way Of Saying "No Hard Feelings".

    Uni is just a cycle I'm going through. 😎

    You -can- "Tune a fish". You simply adjust their "scales"! 😄
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

  6. I think the shop owner am used to handle such things.
    And that powder coating adds 1-2 mm, no way.. And i presume that he
    knows how to sand blast something..
    Because.. he's a professional!

    And, that is just a wounderful deal!
    I wish i could do something like that..

    Edit: And, if you do lose adjustability of the seatpost, grind of the
    paint on the part the part that's inside your frame! not much work at
    all.

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

  7. I had a special type of powder coating put on which made it so thick but
    even my frame beforehand had about a mm of powdercoating on it.

    --
    ntappin
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

  8. that's sweet! i know a guy who bought a cheap oven and powder-coated his
    MUni lime green. 😄

    --
    unitoon

    Quoted message said:

    Unicycling -- the great gender equalizer. - Bmemike

    Quoted message said:

    I've always wondered what it would be like to beat someone to death with
    a unicycle. Then again, I don't want to damage any of my unicycles. -
    Unisteve


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unitoon's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12011
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/49181

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.