Road Cycling · Public discussion

My 6:00 a.m. ride

Started by Maggie · · Last activity · 33 posts · 1,099 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
13 June 2005
Last activity
29 June 2005
Original author
Maggie
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,099
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I can say three words about my morning ride. It was HOT!!! I can't
    take this much longer. I came home and needed to stick my head in the
    freezer. Now I am at work and I put the air conditioning on. I think I
    have the temp on 64 degrees.

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried. And
    contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting easier to
    ride in this heat and humidity. I think the weather might break
    Wednesday and looks like this heat will be followed by three days of
    rain.

    It ain't easy riding around here, the elements are having their way
    with me.

    Baby Jane is playing on the radio. Not that you need to know that, but
    I thought I would tell you anyway. ;-)

    Maggie (singing)

    When I give my heart again
    I know it's gonna last forever
    No one tell me where or when
    I know it's gonna last forever
    I won't be that dumb again
    I know it's gotta last forever

  2. "Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I can say three words about my morning ride. It was HOT!!! I can't
    take this much longer. I came home and needed to stick my head in the
    freezer. Now I am at work and I put the air conditioning on. I think I
    have the temp on 64 degrees.


    HOT?!? Come down to Florida and ride for a couple of weeks! We have heat,
    humidity, wind, sun and torrential downpours! And thats all in one hour!

    Quoted message said:

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried. And
    contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting easier to
    ride in this heat and humidity. I think the weather might break
    Wednesday and looks like this heat will be followed by three days of
    rain.

    It ain't easy riding around here, the elements are having their way
    with me.

    Baby Jane is playing on the radio. Not that you need to know that, but
    I thought I would tell you anyway. ;-)

    Maggie (singing)

    When I give my heart again
    I know it's gonna last forever
    No one tell me where or when
    I know it's gonna last forever
    I won't be that dumb again
    I know it's gotta last forever

  3. "Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried.
    And contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting
    easier to ride in this heat and humidity.

    To paraphrase Greg Lemond, it never gets any easier, you just go
    faster.

  4. Mike Latondresse said:

    "Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried.
    And contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting
    easier to ride in this heat and humidity.

    To paraphrase Greg Lemond, it never gets any easier, you just go
    faster.

    Well I was going at a snails pace this morning. It wasn't any easier
    and I wasn't going any faster. Every morning I pass that guy on his
    trek, in all his biking regalia, moving along at a speed I can't even
    imagine. He is from Europe. He is so intense and when I pass him he is
    riding up my hill. He rides every morning at the same time. I often
    wonder how far he rides every morning. He must be training for
    something. He has to be. He can't be a suburban "Fred" trying to
    impress people. I don't live in a town where you impress people
    wearing lycra....AS YOU ALL KNOW. And I don't need another lecture
    regarding that. I like lycra. I love lycra. Lycra spandex is right up
    there with Valentino, Ferragamo and Dior.

    Maggie

  5. Maggie said:
    Mike Latondresse said:

    "Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried.
    And contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting
    easier to ride in this heat and humidity.

    To paraphrase Greg Lemond, it never gets any easier, you just go
    faster.

    Well I was going at a snails pace this morning. It wasn't any easier
    and I wasn't going any faster. Every morning I pass that guy on his
    trek, in all his biking regalia, moving along at a speed I can't even
    imagine. He is from Europe. He is so intense and when I pass him he is
    riding up my hill. He rides every morning at the same time. I often
    wonder how far he rides every morning. He must be training for
    something. He has to be. He can't be a suburban "Fred" trying to
    impress people. I don't live in a town where you impress people
    wearing lycra....AS YOU ALL KNOW. And I don't need another lecture
    regarding that. I like lycra. I love lycra. Lycra spandex is right up
    there with Valentino, Ferragamo and Dior.

    Maggie

    Let me get semi-serious for a second. Do you realize that in some ways that
    pro admires you?

    I'm sure he's thinking - "durn, it took all my motivation to get out and
    ride this morning and there's a little old lady on a Wal-bike riding up the
    same hill as me. She must have nerves of steel and determination of
    titanium."

    You keep doing this and I'll have to stop teasing you about your uh, lycra
    fetish.

    Best,

    jj

  6. jj said:

    On 13 Jun 2005 10:25:43 -0700, "Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    Let me get semi-serious for a second. Do you realize that in some ways that
    pro admires you?

    Quoted message said:

    jj is semi-serious....let me mark this date on the calendar. I'm sure
    that young stud on that bicycle admires the "old lady on the Walmart
    bike."

    Good Lord, I am an old lady on a Walmart bike. Can life get any better
    than this?

    Thanks for the boost to my ego jj. I used to have one, I am not so
    sure anymore.

    Maggie. ;-)

  7. jj said:

    Let me get semi-serious for a second. Do you realize that in some
    ways that pro admires you?

    I'm sure he's thinking - "durn, it took all my motivation to get out
    and ride this morning and there's a little old lady on a Wal-bike
    riding up the same hill as me.

    Um, Maggie may be many things, but a LITTLE OLD LADY ain't one of 'em!
    (Hint: next time try "sexy broad", "feisty gal", "opinionated woman",
    "kooky chick", etc.)

    Bill "now, 'Frederika' might have worked..." S.

  8. Bill Sornson said:


    Um, Maggie may be many things, but a LITTLE OLD LADY ain't one of 'em!
    (Hint: next time try "sexy broad", "feisty gal", "opinionated woman",
    "kooky chick", etc.)

    I prefer Kooky, sexy, feisty, opinionated broad with attitude.

    Maggie

    Sometimes I have a nickel
    And sometimes I have a dime
    Sometimes I have ten dollars
    Just to pay for little Maggie's wine.

    Well, yonder stands little Maggie
    With a dram glass in her hand
    She's a-drinkin' down her troubles
    Over courtin' some other man.
    - Boy Dylan

  9. Maggie said:

    I can say three words about my morning ride. It was HOT!!! I can't
    take this much longer. I came home and needed to stick my head in the

    Keep hydrated. Drink before, during and after... you riding.

  10. Maggie said:

    I can say three words about my morning ride. It was HOT!!! I can't
    take this much longer. I came home and needed to stick my head in the
    freezer. Now I am at work and I put the air conditioning on. I think I
    have the temp on 64 degrees.

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried. And
    contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting easier to
    ride in this heat and humidity.

    Believe it or not, you do acclimate. After doing as much riding in the
    heat as I have, my heat tolerance has gone way up, which is a handy thing.

  11. Peter Cole said:


    Believe it or not, you do acclimate. After doing as much riding in the
    heat as I have, my heat tolerance has gone way up, which is a handy thing.

    Absolutely! We have a guy in our regular group who now claims to be
    chilled if the temp drops below 90.

  12. Bill Sornson said:
    jj said:

    Let me get semi-serious for a second. Do you realize that in some
    ways that pro admires you?

    I'm sure he's thinking - "durn, it took all my motivation to get out
    and ride this morning and there's a little old lady on a Wal-bike
    riding up the same hill as me.

    Um, Maggie may be many things, but a LITTLE OLD LADY ain't one of 'em!
    (Hint: next time try "sexy broad", "feisty gal", "opinionated woman",
    "kooky chick", etc.)

    Bill "now, 'Frederika' might have worked..." S.

    Uh, I was trying to describe what a 20 y.o. racer would think about seeing
    an over forty, female person that they don't know, on a bike. To him, and
    to many youngsters, 'little old lady' is a term of endearment.

    Let's just say it -wasn't- Maggie that he saw. Let's just say it was the
    prototypical 'little old lady'. It's still going to give the bike racer
    pause to see that at 6:30 in the morning. That's all I was trying to say,
    and as a compliment. ;-)

    jj

  13. Mike Latondresse said:

    jj<[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Uh, I was trying to describe what a 20 y.o. racer would think...snip

    If I were you I would quit while I was just semi-damaged.

    You are a very smart man. Most men never know when to quit when they
    are ahead. It is a flaw in men that has never been studied. There is
    no cure.... I think it is called "WHAT? WHAT? WHAT DID I SAY"
    disease. Usually the medicine perscribed is a few nights on the couch.
    Or a smack upside his head. ;-)

    Maggie.

  14. Maggie said:


    I can say three words about my morning ride. It was HOT!!! I can't
    take this much longer. I came home and needed to stick my head in the
    freezer. Now I am at work and I put the air conditioning on. I think I
    have the temp on 64 degrees.

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried. And
    contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting easier to
    ride in this heat and humidity. I think the weather might break
    Wednesday and looks like this heat will be followed by three days of
    rain.

    It ain't easy riding around here, the elements are having their way
    with me.

    Baby Jane is playing on the radio. Not that you need to know that, but
    I thought I would tell you anyway. ;-)

    Maggie (singing)

    It was the same in central New York, according to my personal wx station. I was
    in northern Vermont 6/4-6/24 and it was no better there after 3-4 days of
    midling temperatures and light to moderate day-and-night breeze. Suffocating
    after that. I'd taken a bike along to try out the Burlington-Winooski trail but
    wx was too sticky to ride before 6:30 PM. And it was the height of mosquito
    season. Yuk. Nice to be back in civilized NYS.

  15. gds said:
    Peter Cole said:


    Believe it or not, you do acclimate. After doing as much riding in the
    heat as I have, my heat tolerance has gone way up, which is a handy thing.

    Absolutely! We have a guy in our regular group who now claims to be
    chilled if the temp drops below 90.

    I'd tell him to go see a doctor.

    Maggie

  16. It got to 90F with a humidity of about 24% here in Parker, Colorado.

    Is that hot and humid?

    By the way, we have a gentleman one year older than I (he is 66) who
    rides forty miles every day on the exact same route.

    Should we describe him as a "little old man" or is the term "little old
    .. . ." specifically reserved for the females amongst us?

    Or, perhaps, I am a "little old man?" I wonder if that is what people
    in their 20's think when and if they pass me?

    Darn, I hope not!

  17. On 26 Jun 2005 05:25:27 -0700, "Colorado Bicycler" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    It got to 90F with a humidity of about 24% here in Parker, Colorado.

    Is that hot and humid?

    No, that's warm and dry.

    Quoted message said:

    By the way, we have a gentleman one year older than I (he is 66) who
    rides forty miles every day on the exact same route.

    Should we describe him as a "little old man" or is the term "little old
    . . ." specifically reserved for the females amongst us?

    Depends, how tall is he?

    Pat

    Email address works as is.

  18. Michael said:
    Maggie said:


    I can say three words about my morning ride. It was HOT!!! I can't
    take this much longer. I came home and needed to stick my head in the
    freezer. Now I am at work and I put the air conditioning on. I think I
    have the temp on 64 degrees.

    I may have had a short ride this morning, but at least I tried. And
    contrary to what you are all telling me, it is not getting easier to
    ride in this heat and humidity. I think the weather might break
    Wednesday and looks like this heat will be followed by three days of
    rain.

    It ain't easy riding around here, the elements are having their way
    with me.

    Baby Jane is playing on the radio. Not that you need to know that, but
    I thought I would tell you anyway. ;-)

    Maggie (singing)

    It was the same in central New York, according to my personal wx station. I was
    in northern Vermont 6/4-6/24 and it was no better there after 3-4 days of
    midling temperatures and light to moderate day-and-night breeze. Suffocating
    after that. I'd taken a bike along to try out the Burlington-Winooski trail but
    wx was too sticky to ride before 6:30 PM. And it was the height of mosquito
    season. Yuk. Nice to be back in civilized NYS.

    It's been just as hot in the SW Michigan area. I've been bending trail
    rules a bit and hitting the Kal-Haven trail at 4:00am. As for mosquitos,
    I just hope that I don't get a flat. I've been thinking of carrying
    towelettes of OFF repellant for that reason. I just wonder if that stuff
    works on deerflys. The deerflys have been terrible lately.

  19. Well, how tall is Maggie?

  20. Colorado Bicycler said:

    Well, how tall is Maggie?

    The "little" in "little old man|woman" is like age. Anyone 6" shorter
    than me is short, and if they're more than 10 years older than me,
    they're old. Right?

    I'm just not sure how to define "kids." Is that anyone around the age
    of MY children, give or take a few years, or younger; or is there a
    fixed age? In college, high schoolers were kids; before I left grad
    school, the undergrads became kids. Now I work with some young kids in
    their 20s, and my brother in law (somewhere in his 30s) behaves like a
    kid. Where, oh where, do we draw the line?

    😉

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.