General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

My achillies hell: More drama

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 519 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 March 2005
Last activity
26 March 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
519
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I will throw this out for those who want to learn more about the
    achillies heel and who may suffer in the furture.

    Quick recap: My achillies pain began a year ago. I saw a chiro and a
    sports therapist. They did massage, elctro-stimulation, ultrasound,
    exercises. I have used an iceberg over the past year. I was able to
    run a fall 1/2marathon and a full marathon. After those, I reduced my
    milage, but nothing got better. I have run a total of 22 miles in
    2005, and it still hurts.

    I was referred by my MD to an orthopedic surgeon: X ray was
    inconclusive, so he did an MRI. Suddenly there is an answer. I have a
    smallish tear in the tendon where it attatches to the heel bone, and a
    cyst between the tendon and the bone. The readiologist actually thinks
    the cyst is in the bone; the orthopod isn't quite sure.

    So now I am in a boot cast for 3 weeks, and taking prednisone. If this
    doesn't cure me, the doc will go in with a syringe to try to drain the
    cyst. If he can't, he'll have to go in to remove it.

    It is not clear to the doc whether the cyst formed as a result of the
    tendon tear, or the tendon tore because of the presence of the cyst.

    I will let you know more when I know something.

    I really, really miss running.

    Brian Jones

  2. P-U-N-K

  3. Almost a good news bad news sorta thing....
    You now have an answer. Although it is one
    that keeps you from running for a while.

    Depending on the dose, the side effects to prednisone
    are sorta rough (oral doses).

    Since I am not in your...uh....cast or shoes...
    its easy for me to think that I would have started with
    the attempted draining.

    In any case, I feel your pain. I was forced to lay off
    for nearly 7 weeks. Back running now and enjoying it more
    than ever.

    Quoted message said:

    I will throw this out for those who want to learn more about the
    achillies heel and who may suffer in the furture.

    Quick recap: My achillies pain began a year ago. I saw a chiro and a
    sports therapist. They did massage, elctro-stimulation, ultrasound,
    exercises. I have used an iceberg over the past year. I was able to
    run a fall 1/2marathon and a full marathon. After those, I reduced my
    milage, but nothing got better. I have run a total of 22 miles in
    2005, and it still hurts.

    I was referred by my MD to an orthopedic surgeon: X ray was
    inconclusive, so he did an MRI. Suddenly there is an answer. I have a
    smallish tear in the tendon where it attatches to the heel bone, and a
    cyst between the tendon and the bone. The readiologist actually thinks
    the cyst is in the bone; the orthopod isn't quite sure.

    So now I am in a boot cast for 3 weeks, and taking prednisone. If this
    doesn't cure me, the doc will go in with a syringe to try to drain the
    cyst. If he can't, he'll have to go in to remove it.

    It is not clear to the doc whether the cyst formed as a result of the
    tendon tear, or the tendon tore because of the presence of the cyst.

    I will let you know more when I know something.

    I really, really miss running.

    Brian Jones

  4. Leo Reed said:

    Almost a good news bad news sorta thing....
    You now have an answer. Although it is one
    that keeps you from running for a while.

    I agree, on both counts.

    Quoted message said:


    Depending on the dose, the side effects to prednisone
    are sorta rough (oral doses).


    I am taking 60 mg for 2 days, then 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. Then I am done.
    What do you mean "rough?" I guess it is a steroid, so I thought I
    would do a few push-ups every day and maybe get me some Mark McGwire
    arms (though I don't suppose that would be helpful in a marathon).

    Quoted message said:

    Since I am not in your...uh....cast or shoes...
    its easy for me to think that I would have started with
    the attempted draining.

    I had the same thought, but I think the doc is not very optimistic that
    it is drainable (the cyst may be a hard mass, or even bony), and he
    didn't want to do anything invasive without first exhausting other
    possibilities.

    Quoted message said:


    In any case, I feel your pain. I was forced to lay off
    for nearly 7 weeks. Back running now and enjoying it more
    than ever.


    Are you all better now, Leo? I haven't heard from you much since your
    trouble.

    Brian Jones

  5. Quoted message said:

    I will throw this out for those who want to learn more about the
    achillies heel and who may suffer in the furture.

    Quick recap: My achillies pain began a year ago. I saw a chiro and a
    sports therapist. They did massage, elctro-stimulation, ultrasound,
    exercises. I have used an iceberg over the past year. I was able to
    run a fall 1/2marathon and a full marathon. After those, I reduced


    my

    Quoted message said:

    milage, but nothing got better. I have run a total of 22 miles in
    2005, and it still hurts.

    I was referred by my MD to an orthopedic surgeon: X ray was
    inconclusive, so he did an MRI. Suddenly there is an answer. I have


    a

    Quoted message said:

    smallish tear in the tendon where it attatches to the heel bone, and


    a

    Quoted message said:

    cyst between the tendon and the bone. The readiologist actually


    thinks

    Quoted message said:

    the cyst is in the bone; the orthopod isn't quite sure.

    So now I am in a boot cast for 3 weeks, and taking prednisone. If


    this

    Quoted message said:

    doesn't cure me, the doc will go in with a syringe to try to drain


    the

    Quoted message said:

    cyst. If he can't, he'll have to go in to remove it.

    It is not clear to the doc whether the cyst formed as a result of the
    tendon tear, or the tendon tore because of the presence of the cyst.

    I will let you know more when I know something.

    I really, really miss running.

    Brian Jones

    Sorry to all those who pay attention to such things. I just realized I
    have been misspelling achilles. Arghh!

    Brian Jones

  6. Brian:
    I understand why a boot cast would help an Achilles tendon tear, but
    why would a boot cast help a cyst?
    Whatever the case may be, good luck!
    Murph

  7. Quoted message said:

    Brian:
    I understand why a boot cast would help an Achilles tendon tear, but
    why would a boot cast help a cyst?
    Whatever the case may be, good luck!
    Murph

    I understand that the immoblization will help to heal the tear, which
    cannot heal in the presence of the cyst without immobilization, because
    the cyst continues to irritate the tear. Hopefully we are working on
    the tear and the cyst at the same time.

    Brian Jones


  8. Quoted message said:

    I am taking 60 mg for 2 days, then 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. Then I am done.
    What do you mean "rough?" I guess it is a steroid, so I thought I
    would do a few push-ups every day and maybe get me some Mark McGwire
    arms (though I don't suppose that would be helpful in a marathon).

    There ya go, think positive. Prolonged use will cause some
    serious water/fluid retention and bone density loss.
    THe little amount you are taking for a short time
    should not be an issue.

    Quoted message said:


    I had the same thought, but I think the doc is not very optimistic that
    it is drainable (the cyst may be a hard mass, or even bony), and he
    didn't want to do anything invasive without first exhausting other
    possibilities.

    Probably a good idea.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Are you all better now, Leo? I haven't heard from you much since your
    trouble.


    The graft has "taken" and I am back to my plodding.
    The first week was hell, even though I had done two weeks
    of water jogging and biking.
    My "long" runs are only 5 miles, but its coming back.
    I figured I could sit on my ass for 7 weeks, no problem.
    I was wrong. Now I know what others have gone through
    on this NG when forced tolay off because of injury.

    Off for a much needed spring break with my kids!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.