General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

My Alfredo keeps coming out lumpy

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 91 posts · 1,096 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 October 2007
Last activity
4 November 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
91
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,096
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 91
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
    why and help me avoid this?

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
    why and help me avoid this?

    Your alfredo is lumpy because you make it out of garbage.

    For 4 people,
    Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
    is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat at
    low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound of
    fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked according to
    directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture and one minute
    cooking time.

    You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The sauce
    should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the cheese the
    correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be too thick (or
    solid) when it cools.

    Mitch

  3. Quoted message said:

    Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
    why and help me avoid this?

    Eeeewwww! Try more foreplay.

    <or less>

  4. cybercat said:

    "Mitch Scherer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
    why and help me avoid this?


    Your alfredo is lumpy because you make it out of garbage.

    For 4 people,
    Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
    is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat
    at low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound
    of fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked
    according to directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture
    and one minute cooking time.

    You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The
    sauce should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the
    cheese the correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be
    too thick (or solid) when it cools.

    That sounds utterly disgusting.

    It isn't. But it's likely that the sauce is breaking before he can get
    the pasta mixed in.

  5. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:05:08 -0500, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Mitch Scherer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    For 4 people,
    Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
    is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat
    at low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound
    of fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked
    according to directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture
    and one minute cooking time.

    You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The
    sauce should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the
    cheese the correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be
    too thick (or solid) when it cools.

    That sounds utterly disgusting.

    It isn't really.

    I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
    was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
    dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
    butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
    it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
    Bastianich....

    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/

    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2006/01/a_eureka_pasta_.html

    I made this last night...it was simple, very good. Clean
    flavors...not gunky...No cream, just butter..and a bit of the pasta
    water per Lidia. And good Parmesan. I had some good Parmesan I
    picked up in Richmond VA, of all places...from a place called Tom
    Leonards. Son of Stew Leonard, of Stew Leonards' fame. Really good
    parmesan,for the price. I grated it..and it was marvelous in the
    pasta.

    Christine

  6. Christine Dabney said:

    I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
    was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
    dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
    butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
    it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
    Bastianich....

    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/

    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2006/01/a_eureka_pasta_.html

    I made this last night...it was simple, very good. Clean
    flavors...not gunky...No cream, just butter..and a bit of the pasta
    water per Lidia. And good Parmesan. I had some good Parmesan I
    picked up in Richmond VA, of all places...from a place called Tom
    Leonards. Son of Stew Leonard, of Stew Leonards' fame. Really good
    parmesan,for the price. I grated it..and it was marvelous in the
    pasta.

    America's Test Kitchens says that fettucini Alfredo was originally made
    with just pasta, butter, nutmeg and cheese. The cream bit came in later.
    Most how-to's advocate using pasta water to loosen sauces that become
    too thick.

  7. "Mitch Scherer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
    why and help me avoid this?

    Your alfredo is lumpy because you make it out of garbage.

    For 4 people,
    Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
    is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat
    at low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound
    of fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked
    according to directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture
    and one minute cooking time.

    You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The
    sauce should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the
    cheese the correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be
    too thick (or solid) when it cools.

    That sounds utterly disgusting.

  8. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:07:48 -0500, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
    was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
    dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
    butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
    it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
    Bastianich....

    I can see this, but butter, parmesan, and heavy cream? Too fatty for me.
    And I like fat. I think it is the butter added to the cheese that seems way
    too much to me.

    Have you ever tried it? Don't knock it til you have tried it.... 😉
    The way I fixed it last night, it wasn't too fatty at all....

    Christine

  9. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:17:17 -0500, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I really like pasta with a little butter and fresh grated parmesan. But
    the cream seems like too much, for me.

    As many folks have stated, the original Alfredo was just butter and
    parmesan, with no cream.

    Try it with the nutmeg...

    And try this variation, mentioned on the website I listed above. It
    has no cream in it..and is loosened with pasta water.

    Next time I might add more nutmeg. It was really, really good.

    And to bastardize it, a touch of cream really isn't bad...but it isn't
    needed. But it really isn't too rich with it either.

    Christine

  10. Pennyaline said:

    America's Test Kitchens says that fettucini Alfredo was originally made
    with just pasta, butter, nutmeg and cheese. The cream bit came in later.
    Most how-to's advocate using pasta water to loosen sauces that become
    too thick.

    Someone posted here a long time ago saying that American parmesan
    isn't as "creamy" as cheese in Italy. I don't disagree with using
    pasta water to loosen, it's just that I've never used it as the main
    liquid in Alfredo. I'm satisfied with this recipe.

    Simple Fettuccine Alfredo
    (I hate the taste of nutmeg, so it's not mentioned here)

    8 oz. "wide" noodles (use linguini or fettuccini), cooked until barely
    al dente
    6 oz. butter
    1 1/2 C. heavy (whipping) cream
    1 C Parmesan cheese
    <I also use Romano, Asiago or a combination>
    Salt and pepper

    Melt the butter in a wide pan. Add cream and boil rapidly until
    thick. Take off the heat. Add noodles to the cooking pan and toss
    with the cheese.

    Season to taste with salt and pepper.

    Transfer to a warm bowl and serve immediately.

    --
    See return address to reply by email
    remove the smiley face first

  11. Christine Dabney said:
    Quoted message said:


    That sounds utterly disgusting.

    It isn't really.

    I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
    was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
    dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
    butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
    it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
    Bastianich....

    I can see this, but butter, parmesan, and heavy cream? Too fatty for me.
    And I like fat. I think it is the butter added to the cheese that seems way
    too much to me.

  12. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
    why and help me avoid this?

    Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.

    The classic white sauce (bechamel) is (as I recall) two tablespoons butter
    heated to a bubble with two tablespoons of flour added slowly and stirred
    for two minutes. Then add a cup of milk, for a thinner sauce, a cup and a
    half or more, slowly. Bring it to a boil reduce it to a simmer and stir the
    whole time it thickens.

    Add fresh grated parmesan to this, to taste, after it begins to thicken. You
    won't get lumps, and it won't be pure grease like recipes that call for
    nothing but butter and cheese and heavy cream. Ick.

  13. "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    It isn't really.

    I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
    was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
    dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
    butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
    it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
    Bastianich....

    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/

    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2006/01/a_eureka_pasta_.html


    I really like pasta with a little butter and fresh grated parmesan. But
    the cream seems like too much, for me.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  14. "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:07:48 -0500, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
    was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
    dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
    butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
    it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
    Bastianich....

    I can see this, but butter, parmesan, and heavy cream? Too fatty for me.
    And I like fat. I think it is the butter added to the cheese that seems
    way
    too much to me.

    Have you ever tried it? Don't knock it til you have tried it.... 😉
    The way I fixed it last night, it wasn't too fatty at all....

    Well, maybe, I think you would have to make it for me. It's really hard for
    me to get motivated to make something that sounds icky to me. Different
    strokes, right? 😉

  15. <sf> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pennyaline said:

    America's Test Kitchens says that fettucini Alfredo was originally made
    with just pasta, butter, nutmeg and cheese. The cream bit came in later.
    Most how-to's advocate using pasta water to loosen sauces that become
    too thick.

    Someone posted here a long time ago saying that American parmesan
    isn't as "creamy" as cheese in Italy. I don't disagree with using
    pasta water to loosen, it's just that I've never used it as the main
    liquid in Alfredo. I'm satisfied with this recipe.

    Simple Fettuccine Alfredo
    (I hate the taste of nutmeg, so it's not mentioned here)

    8 oz. "wide" noodles (use linguini or fettuccini), cooked until barely
    al dente
    6 oz. butter
    1 1/2 C. heavy (whipping) cream
    1 C Parmesan cheese
    <I also use Romano, Asiago or a combination>
    Salt and pepper

    Melt the butter in a wide pan. Add cream and boil rapidly until
    thick. Take off the heat. Add noodles to the cooking pan and toss
    with the cheese.

    Season to taste with salt and pepper.

    Transfer to a warm bowl and serve immediately.

    Above is the way I prepare my alfredo, with the exception that I add the
    cheese just before I add the noodles; then toss.
    Probably turns out the same.

    DeeDee

  16. "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:17:17 -0500, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I really like pasta with a little butter and fresh grated parmesan. But
    the cream seems like too much, for me.

    As many folks have stated, the original Alfredo was just butter and
    parmesan, with no cream.

    Try it with the nutmeg...

    And try this variation, mentioned on the website I listed above. It
    has no cream in it..and is loosened with pasta water.

    Next time I might add more nutmeg. It was really, really good.

    And to bastardize it, a touch of cream really isn't bad...but it isn't
    needed. But it really isn't too rich with it either.

    Christine

    To me, the added cream makes it a totally different taste -- well, not
    totally, but you 'get my drift.' I like it with cream.

    Sometime ago I had to use up some cream and was asking about alternatives.
    I made a recipe of fettucine/alfredo.

    After it refrigerated/solidified (with the fat and all ;-))) I cut it into
    squares and put it into the freezer. Actually it is as good as you can
    imagine a store-bought frozen macaroni/cheese or whatever. Heat it up and
    have it anytime.

    There is nothing wrong with eating fettucine/alfredo (fat-wise) when you
    don't eat it alone or a big bowlful. I'll be freezing at least 1/3 of it
    again when I make it.

    Dee Dee

  17. "cybercat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
    why and help me avoid this?

    Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.

    The classic white sauce (bechamel) is (as I recall) two tablespoons butter
    heated to a bubble with two tablespoons of flour added slowly and stirred
    for two minutes. Then add a cup of milk, for a thinner sauce, a cup and a
    half or more, slowly. Bring it to a boil reduce it to a simmer and stir
    the whole time it thickens.

    Add fresh grated parmesan to this, to taste, after it begins to thicken.
    You won't get lumps, and it won't be pure grease like recipes that call
    for nothing but butter and cheese and heavy cream. Ick.

    Perhaps you will eat twice as much to acquire the requisite amount of grease
    to satiate your palate.
    Beware! ;-))

    Dee Dee

  18. cybercat said:

    Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.


    FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.

  19. Goomba38 said:
    cybercat said:

    Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.


    FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.

    OMG. Here we go... somebody used the dreaded "A" word 😉

    Remember Bob P's Half-Assed [censored] Sauce?

    I'm sure it's been posted here about a mill-yun times... but here it is
    for old time's sake:

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Pastorio's Half-Assed [censored] Sauce

    Recipe By :Bob Pastorio
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : pasta sauces/gravies

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup milk
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 clove garlic
    more butter -- if desired
    2 tablespoons bacon fat -- if desired
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    flat leaf parsley
    fresh ground black pepper

    Use some milk. Real milk. Or some skim [censored] (my how often that shows up in
    culinary discourse) with butter in it. The start of a cream coating for the
    pasta.

    For a pound of pasta, let's build a hypothetical dressing. 1/2 cup milk,
    three tablespoons butter and a garlic clove (mashed and very finely minced)
    heated until the butter melts and it comes to a boil. Stir to distribute
    the butter and to poach the garlic. Reduce to about 1/3 cup - the reduction
    will thicken a bit and have a richer mouthfeel. More butter wouldn't hurt
    it, nor would a couple tablespoons bacon fat.

    Meanwhile, break an egg into a large bowl and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    and some fresh, flat leaf parsley. A good grating of black pepper. When the
    pasta is done, drain it. Dump the milk reduction into the bowl with the egg
    and whisk furiously to mix it all together. Dump the pasta in and toss
    quickly to full coat. Serve immediately. More cheese at table.

    Description:
    "This is a half-assed approximation of a French Sauce Batard (q.v.)
    that itself is enormously flexible."
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

    Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

  20. "cybercat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:

    Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.


    FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.

    I know. I just cannot stand all that unadulterated grease. We like what we
    like. I'd rather make a thin white sauce, add good cheese, and forgo the
    heavy cream.

    Quick definitions (grease)

    a.. noun: a thick fatty oil (especially one used to lubricate machinery)
    a.. noun: the state of being covered with unclean things
    a.. verb: lubricate with grease (Example: "Grease the wheels"😉

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.