my bike was stolen and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Higb

I'm thinking over what to get as a replacement. I started mountain biking in the 80's and rode 3
rigid frame bikes before shocks showed up. Considering what I like (excercise, climbs, conservative
downhill), I'll probably replace the stolen hardtail with another hardtail (Stumpjumper or
Stumpjumper Comp).

I'd appreciate some input on that, but here's the funny part ... until I decide, I figure I'll get
some excercise (been a very occaisional rider for the past few years) by taking my old rigid bike
down to the local trails. At 23 pounds, it handles rough stuff better than a heavy rigid at least.

But it seems really weird now, like I shouldn't be able to ride a rigid bike out there ... but I
did, heck I covered every trail out there a dozen times ... back when rigid bikes were the norm.

It's going to be embarassing, taking it out of the car

higb

higb wrote:

> But it seems really weird now, like I shouldn't be able to ride a rigid bike out there ... but I
> did, heck I covered every trail out there a dozen times ... back when rigid bikes were the norm.

Get a Single Speed

> It's going to be embarassing, taking it out of the car

Why? Who cares what you ride as long as you ride. (Unless it's a Wal*goose of K-Huffy, etc.)

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:51:11 GMT, higb wrote:

> I'm thinking over what to get as a replacement. I started mountain biking in the 80's and rode 3
> rigid frame bikes before shocks showed up. Considering what I like (excercise, climbs,
> conservative downhill), I'll probably replace the stolen hardtail with another hardtail
> (Stumpjumper or Stumpjumper Comp).
>
> I'd appreciate some input on that, but here's the funny part ... until I decide, I figure I'll get
> some excercise (been a very occaisional rider for the past few years) by taking my old rigid bike
> down to the local trails. At 23 pounds, it handles rough stuff better than a heavy rigid at least.
>
> But it seems really weird now, like I shouldn't be able to ride a rigid bike out there ... but I
> did, heck I covered every trail out there a dozen times ... back when rigid bikes were the norm.
>
> It's going to be embarassing, taking it out of the car
>
> higb

I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. Hard to believe that a rigid bike would be considered 'retro'
nowadays. Full Suspension is for people who can't handle a rigid anyway. :eek:) Maybe they'll think
that you are super hard-core and idolize you...

Greg
--
http://www.treelimb.org/ A blogunity

>higb wrote:

>> It's going to be embarassing, taking it out of the car

It's not _what_ you ride, it's _how_ you ride it!

Even beginners get respect from me when they flat out give it all they've got on a not so hot bike.

Try, try, and try some more. If the folks you don't ride with don't understand, find new people to
ride with.

Barry

higb, I have always ridden arigid bike, and feel no fear removing it from the car. I'm not the
world's best rider, but I can usually manage to get the bike through most stuff (and walk the rest).
It's fun to watch the full sus guys overestimate the power of their sus sytems and come flying off.
;-) Screw the rest of 'em, ride what you want.

Steve

Thanks all, I guess it says something about shifting perspectives ... that I see shocks often enough
that I forget what we used to do without them.

Now I just need to see if I cam reclaim the old skill set ;-)

higb

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 14:51:11 GMT, higb <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking over what to get as a replacement. I started mountain biking in the 80's and rode 3
>rigid frame bikes before shocks showed up. Considering what I like (excercise, climbs, conservative
>downhill), I'll probably replace the stolen hardtail with another hardtail (Stumpjumper or
>Stumpjumper Comp).

I hear they're very solid bikes. I tested on in a parking lot, ... felt nice.

>
>I'd appreciate some input on that, but here's the funny part ... until I decide, I figure I'll get
>some excercise (been a very occaisional rider for the past few years) by taking my old rigid bike
>down to the local trails. At 23 pounds, it handles rough stuff better than a heavy rigid at least.
>
>But it seems really weird now, like I shouldn't be able to ride a rigid bike out there ... but I
>did, heck I covered every trail out there a dozen times ... back when rigid bikes were the norm.

You've been tricked into thinking there's something more to MTBing. Welcome back!.

>
>It's going to be embarassing, taking it out of the car

Then don't take it out of the car, ride it to the trails.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

On 22 Jun 2003 01:05:26 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

>higb, I have always ridden arigid bike, and feel no fear removing it from the car. I'm not the
>world's best rider, but I can usually manage to get the bike through most stuff (and walk the
>rest). It's fun to watch the full sus guys overestimate the power of their sus sytems and come
>flying off. ;-) Screw the rest of 'em, ride what you want.
>
>Steve

I'm really liking what I see in this thread. Hard to believe that there are people out there who are
actually shunning Overkill-techno-FS rigs.

What a great world we live in!

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind

On 23 Jun 2003 02:41:05 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

>Bill W says:
>
>>I'm really liking what I see in this thread. Hard to believe that there are people out there who
>>are actually shunning Overkill-techno-FS rigs.
>>
>>What a great world we live in!
>
>So...... you finally pulled your head out of your ....... SS (phew!) long enough to notice you
>aren't alone? Welcome back ;-P
>
>Steve

It was getting pretty stuffy in there I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.