General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

My computer+ Virus = full system boot

Started by AngieRose · · Last activity · 37 posts · 1,068 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 February 2005
Last activity
7 February 2005
Original author
AngieRose
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,068
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–37 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Bob M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Carmen said:


    Lorelei said:

    My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    to do
    some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them
    didn't
    follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the
    restore
    program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to
    clean/delete or
    even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a
    full
    destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to
    smack
    around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my [censored]. I
    wish they'd
    go play with fire instead.

    These are Curt's daughters you're referring to? I hope like hell he
    doesn't ever read your messages on Usenet. That would hurt any decent
    parent.
    It can't be good for those girls to be around you.

    Carmen

    I thought she meant the virus writers, not the stepdaughters.

    --
    Bob in CT

    Yes Bob, I meant the virus writers. I will be more careful with my posting
    so that it can't be so easily misinterpreted.
    Lori

  2. "Cheri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So did I. I could be wrong.

    --
    Cheri

    I meant the virus writers. I'd have to be a monster to post that about my
    stepgirls. My damn husband (their father) is dying, as I wrote in my
    original post, I almost always have to do some minor tweaking of my PC after
    they come. I accept that. I have since locked my pc down even more and they
    still (and always) have used my pc

  3. "Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have to do
    some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of them didn't
    follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that hid in the
    restore
    program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee tried to clean/delete or
    even quarantine the files, they couldn't be found. I had to do a full
    destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to
    smack
    around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my [censored]. I wish
    they'd
    go play with fire instead.

    Losing the photos must have been HORRIBLE! Along with keeping stuff
    like that on a separate drive from the OS, I also write them to CDs.
    Most of my photo files are from photos I scanned in, so if you printed
    them, you can get a scanner and scan them back in (and save them to a
    CD/DVD). It will be time-consuming, but then you'll HAVE them if
    something happens to either the hardcopy photos or the PC.

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

    Thanks Saffire, for not even suggesting that I was talking about my
    stepgirls. I've known them almost 7 yrs. They are 13 3/4 and 10. their mom
    is kind of different (I guess, I've never met her. She refuses even tho they
    had been divorced for over 2 yrs before we met)

    lORI

  4. In news:[email hidden],
    Bob M <[email hidden]> stated
    |
    | Ok, where are your settings for your browser stored?
    Those would have to be reset, not difficult as I pretty much know what they
    are.
    Your email?
    I have a backup of my address book. My OE folders are on E:, that's one
    nice thing about OE, you can put the storage folders anywhere you want and
    can then back up any folder you want.
    The financial data you have? My MS Money backup is set to E:, about once a
    week I send a copy of that file from my laptop to my desktop so it is saved
    in both places.
    Your settings for your email account, your usnet access settings, etc.?
    Backed up on desktop as well as a hard copy.
    Your phone numbers, addresses, and other contact information?
    I have a little address book program called Personal Address Book, if I add
    an address to it I send a copy to the desktop.
    I find it too hard to put this on a data
    | disk, especially since it's a pain the butt to figure out where half
    | this stuff is stored. Just backup your entire drive to another drive.
    | I used to keep a tape backup, and I was able to restore my entire
    | hard drive when it went down. Believe me, it can take days to restore
    | all of your programs and settings.

    I know that, I guess I have been lucky. Have only had an unplanned reformat
    once (in 9 years of computer ownership) when I was trying to replace a video
    card under warranty and had problems and ended up taking it to the Gateway
    store. I figured it was easier to let them struggle with it since the
    warranty covered their work. They ended up replacing the motherboard and
    reformatting, but all my goodies were on my slave and all I lost were a few
    things I had saved to the desktop and not put away. There is something to
    be said for an occasional fresh start, though I don't try out and then
    abandon as many programs as I did when I first started.

    |
    | --
    | Bob in CT

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "However, aside from that, whose fault is it for not having a backup of
    one's
    data? Computers crash, lightning strikes, HDs go bad, [censored] happens.
    Putting blame on the kids or the virus writers is folly. If something
    is
    important to you - make a backup. CD and DVD media and drives are
    *very*
    inexpensive"

    DVD's and CD's are relatively inexpensive, but they aren't very good
    backup solutions, as they are very small compared with typical hard
    drives today. I know someone will say that you only have to back up
    your data, which takes a small amount of space, but from a practical
    standpoint, that's nearly impossible and won't get done if you rely on
    that type of media. It's too hard to figure out where data is stored
    by various programs, plus lots of important config information is
    stored God only knows where by the various programs and O/S components.
    The only practical backup IMO, is either a seperate hard drive,
    either std or a USB one, together with a good backup program, like
    Ghost. I use a USB one which can contain a few complete backup images
    of both my desktop and notebook drives.

    Ghost also allows for compression so the images don't have to be as large.

    Sid...

  6. One advantage of an early Ghost image is that you have the chance to restore
    your computer to an earlier point where it was "cleaner". Registries get
    full of [censored] over time and your computer gets stuff that you may have tried
    out for a while and uninstall programs often leave stuff behind. As long as
    my data is backed up separately (favs, .pst docs, account settings etc) I
    will if given the chance revert to an earlier ghost that has all my basics
    in it but without the vestiges from later experimentation.

    Sid...

  7. How do you find Ghost? Is it free? Do you have to but it is a store?
    Can you find it on Internet?
    Any help will be appreciated.

    Barbara

    sprudil said:

    One advantage of an early Ghost image is that you have the chance to restore
    your computer to an earlier point where it was "cleaner". Registries get
    full of [censored] over time and your computer gets stuff that you may have tried
    out for a while and uninstall programs often leave stuff behind. As long as
    my data is backed up separately (favs, .pst docs, account settings etc) I
    will if given the chance revert to an earlier ghost that has all my basics
    in it but without the vestiges from later experimentation.

    Sid...

  8. Hi,

    Lorelei said:

    OMG!!!!! when I read this just a min ago I realized that it could be
    taken wrong. I meant the people who write these invasive programs
    NOT MY
    STEPDAUGHTERS!!

    do you think I lost my mind? I have never posted bad things about
    them on the net!! They are nice girls. I pick them up and drive them
    home
    most of the time. we talk about girl stuff and curt and I am their
    advocate
    in this house.

    I see how you COULD have misinterpreted my post by the way I wrote
    it, but did that SOUND like me??
    Lori

    Actually, the psych minor in me thought it might have stemmed from a
    mix between anger at Curt because he's going to leave you (and they're
    half Curt) and a way of detaching yourself from any positive feelings
    you had towards them because after Curt's gone you likely won't see
    the girls again. So I *did* think you had sort of lost your mind.
    Grief does nasty things to people. Since they're kids and you're the
    adult I sided with the kids.
    I apologize for interpreting your message in a way you didn't intend
    it. I'm relieved and glad to be wrong. I'm sorry Lori.

    Take care,
    Carmen

    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

  9. "Carmen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Hi,

    Lorelei said:

    OMG!!!!! when I read this just a min ago I realized that it could be
    taken wrong. I meant the people who write these invasive programs
    NOT MY
    STEPDAUGHTERS!!

    do you think I lost my mind? I have never posted bad things about
    them on the net!! They are nice girls. I pick them up and drive them
    home
    most of the time. we talk about girl stuff and curt and I am their
    advocate
    in this house.

    I see how you COULD have misinterpreted my post by the way I wrote
    it, but did that SOUND like me??
    Lori

    Actually, the psych minor in me thought it might have stemmed from a
    mix between anger at Curt because he's going to leave you (and they're
    half Curt) and a way of detaching yourself from any positive feelings
    you had towards them because after Curt's gone you likely won't see
    the girls again. So I *did* think you had sort of lost your mind.
    Grief does nasty things to people. Since they're kids and you're the
    adult I sided with the kids.
    I apologize for interpreting your message in a way you didn't intend
    it. I'm relieved and glad to be wrong. I'm sorry Lori.

    Take care,
    Carmen

    --
    Please note change in Reply To address carmensrt <at> gmail <dot> com
    Hotmail isn't working and is being abandoned

    whew.
    ain't lost it yet but ya never know.
    actually Curt needed me to bring him something at work today and he looked
    like my baby. singing and working and as usual, there was another
    construction-type guy watching him. It makes it look so easy, yet he is so
    exacting (he is also referred to as 'picky" so people that want that "xtra"
    will ask for him [he sells and subcontracts too] that he gave that job the
    same attention he'd give any job. He was laying carpet in a section 8
    (subsidized) apartment in a bad part of Minneapolis. He is damn good at what
    he does. he gives the same quality to a Sec 8 apt that he is going to give
    to the house where Kirby Puckett {how the mightly have fallen, assaulting
    your wife and then not too many months later dragging a woman into a
    bathroom at a trendy eatery and groping
    her will damage the rep) is moving into. \. He charges what he charges
    and he doesn't raise his prices for the more affluent customers nor does he
    drop it for guys like this who will have to replace that carpet when that
    tenant gets evicted in 6-12 months.
    He NEEDS to keep working. he's been home about 3 days in the last 8 and I
    wanted to bean him on the head!1 so we decided that he works until he drops.
    It keeps things "normal".
    Lori

  10. Lorelei said:

    I had to do a full
    destructive restore and lost all of my photos from the last 2 yrs.
    thankfully, I have printed most of the ones I wanted but I'd like to smack
    around one of the those destructive pigs for invading my [censored]. I wish they'd
    go play with fire instead.

    Ugh, I have a CD/DVD burner, all my files are now backed up......I have
    about 6 years of photos on my pute onw, but they are also safe and sound
    on a couple DVDs too.

  11. FOB said:

    I am forever preaching the value of having at least a
    separate
    petition, if not a second physical drive, to keep one's
    data on.
    While not a 100% protection, it does save it from most
    reformat
    situations.

    Oh you lawyerly types...always petitioning for something ;-)

    Partition is the correct word, I believe.

    Have a great day!

    --
    JJ.
    275/175/180 - as of November 1, 2004 (adjusted target
    weight)
    Atkins since Sep 1, 2003
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jjsmythe/my_photos
    1, 2, 3...98, 99, 100. Done!

  12. Do you have any idea what an off topic post is?

    --
    You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

    "AngieRose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So I came home for lunch yesterday and the computer wouldn't do
    ANYTHING!!!!
    so I tried to run Norton Anti virus but the virus had attacked it so I
    couldn't even do that. I did that thing that the computer goes back a few
    weeks that didn't work. DH called HP support and they worked for hours
    trying to get it to work but couldn't so the guy helped DH to find a way
    to
    burn some info and we had to reinstall windows :o( if this is the worse
    thing that happens around my birthday it just might be a good one.:o)

    Angie

  13. In article <sqTMd.270850$8l.98102@pd7tw1no>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    One advantage of an early Ghost image is that you have the chance to restore
    your computer to an earlier point where it was "cleaner". Registries get
    full of [censored] over time and your computer gets stuff that you may have tried
    out for a while and uninstall programs often leave stuff behind. As long as
    my data is backed up separately (favs, .pst docs, account settings etc) I
    will if given the chance revert to an earlier ghost that has all my basics
    in it but without the vestiges from later experimentation.

    Also, if you have a version of XP that has to be activated and you Ghost
    it AFTER activation, then restore it from the Ghost image, you don't
    have to reactivate it unless you've made a lot of hardware changes.
    Despite having a broadband connection, I can never activate over the
    internet and calling in and doing it by phone automation is incredibly
    tedious.

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  14. I love you too<kiss>
    Angie :o)

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do you have any idea what an off topic post is?

    --
    You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

    "AngieRose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    So I came home for lunch yesterday and the computer wouldn't do
    ANYTHING!!!!
    so I tried to run Norton Anti virus but the virus had attacked it so I
    couldn't even do that. I did that thing that the computer goes back a few
    weeks that didn't work. DH called HP support and they worked for hours
    trying to get it to work but couldn't so the guy helped DH to find a way
    to
    burn some info and we had to reinstall windows :o( if this is the worse
    thing that happens around my birthday it just might be a good one.:o)

    Angie

  15. oh no, JC can't deal with affection, he's almost certainly going to
    implode. do not kiss him, I repeat, do not, never ever smooch smooch
    JC!

    :-)

  16. "BJPruett" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do you find Ghost? Is it free? Do you have to but it is a store?
    Can you find it on Internet?
    Any help will be appreciated.

    It is sold by Symantec (Norton)

    http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=0&SID=27674&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=646353&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=181764

    there are competitors such as Acronis True Image which seems better. I
    currently use the older dos version.

    Sid...

  17. "Lorelei" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]
    || "AngieRose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    || news:[email hidden]...
    ||| So I came home for lunch yesterday and the computer wouldn't do
    ||| ANYTHING!!!!
    ||| so I tried to run Norton Anti virus but the virus had attacked it
    ||| so I couldn't even do that. I did that thing that the computer goes
    ||| back a few weeks that didn't work. DH called HP support and they
    ||| worked for hours trying to get it to work but couldn't so the guy
    ||| helped DH to find a way to
    ||| burn some info and we had to reinstall windows :o( if this is the
    ||| worse thing that happens around my birthday it just might be a good
    ||| one.:o)
    |||
    ||| Angie
    |||
    |||
    |||
    ||
    || My stepdaughters use my pc when they are here and invariably I have
    || to do some repairs when they leave, but about a month ago one of
    || them didn't follow my security restrictions and let in a virus that
    || hid in the restore program (I have an HP with XP). then when Mcafee
    || tried to clean/delete or even quarantine the files, they couldn't be
    || found. I had to do a full destructive restore and lost all of my
    || photos from the last 2 yrs. thankfully, I have printed most of the
    || ones I wanted but I'd like to smack around one of the those
    || destructive pigs for invading my [censored]. I wish they'd go play with
    || fire instead.
    ||
    || --
    || Lori
    ||
    ||
    || (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    || restart Jan 1. 2005
    || 170/160/145
    ||
    ||
    || Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    || 12/31/2004 40 yr and 1 day old
    || failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of the usual
    || 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    || starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    || trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller
    ||
    ||
    || Lori
    ||
    ||
    || (Atkins 1/16/2003) 220-144 from Jan to Nov
    || restart Jan 1. 2005
    || 170/161/145
    ||
    ||
    || Devoted wife of Curtis diagnosed with Metastatic Prostate Cancer
    || 12/31/2004 failed Hormone deprivation therapy in 9 mo (instead of
    || the usual 18-24 mo) now on Radiation for pain(done)
    || starting Chemo for the rest of his life in ?. (hoping for a clinical
    || trial in 1 month)http://community.webshots.com/user/lorismiller

    It's simple to set security protocols in XP so that executable programs,
    java and scipts can't be downloaded if you know somebody irriesponsible will
    be using your computer. You just set up a guest user and set the
    restictions.
    --
    Peter
    270/219/180
    website: http://users.thelink.net/marengo

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.